Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How printer costs have tumbled.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    19 Nov 2012 - 8:33 PM

Not related to photo-printing, for which I use an Epson R3000.

But I use a mono laser for "ordinary" printing and was using an HP Laserjet 4 which cost me about 800 in 1994. Then, last week, it finally copped its whack (after, I reckon, about 140,000 A4 copies) and I had to look for a replacement.

I was staggered to find that I could buy a roughly similar laser printer, in terms of output speed and print resolution, for 60. It is much lighter in weight (therefore maybe not as durable) and has a smaller paper tray capacity but it does the same job.

We constantly complain about rising prices but it is nice, once in a while, to discover that prices of some items are really tumbling.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Nov 2012 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Nov 2012 - 8:39 PM

Quote: to discover that prices of some items are really tumbling.

And petrol is down ( temporarily ? ) to 135.99 pence per litre Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 19 Nov 2012 - 8:39 PM
    pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Nov 2012 - 10:43 PM

Ah the Great Oil Conundrum, drop the price people go crazy and start 'driving' around in their motors , then there's a shortage so you have to put the prices back up ... then when people stop using their cars and you cant afford this months Dubai vacation , drop the prices again ..... Oh to be an Oil Exec ....

thewilliam
    19 Nov 2012 - 11:32 PM

Printer prices may have tumbled but ink and toner prices have gone up like a rocket. Many manufacturers now supply "fun-size" cartridges with a new printer. These contain enough ink to test the printer.

I was surprised by the service life of the fun-size carts that came with our new HP Z3200. After five 100 foot rolls of 24 inch wide paper, only one has been changed.

paulcookphotography

With one of my printers its approx 200 for a full set of inks. I eventually moved to a system feed that for the same ink volume costs around 20, or for high quality dyes at around 30.

Yeah, the initial set up is around the same amount as a new set of inks (but that includes around 8x the volume), and the quality (with a few tweaks) is every bit as good or better in the finished print. If it wasnt for that, printing my own work wouldnt be feasable

Whether its a 60 or 600 printer, the ink costs for originals is waaaaay too high

User_Removed
    20 Nov 2012 - 7:55 AM

....which is why I use a laser for "ordinary" printing rather than an expensive (to run) inkjet.

In 1994 a toner cartridge for the Laserjet 4 cost about 85. The last one I bought (last year) was about half that price (for 8000 copy size).

I was sorry when the machine finally gave up the ghost last week but can't really complain at 18 years service. I reckon that taking capital depreciation plus toner costs over that period, it averaged out at about 1.5p per copy. Mind you, according the the market comparisons, my new replacement is going to be nearer 2.5p per copy!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Nov 2012 - 7:57 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.