Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How the heck?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
26 Jul 2012 - 7:06 AM

Great start to the Olympics as someone gets the flag wrong. I mean, what more controversial and paranoid state could you pick? Was it an accidentally/on purpose act masterminded by a South Korean overseas student who actually managed to get a job with G4S? Yet beneath the corporate-sponsored glossiness and hype surrounding this Olympics lies the uncomfortable possibility that incompetence was the real villain all along. Maybe we can expect more of the same in the coming weeks?

http://news.sky.com/story/965134/north-korea-protests-over-olympic-blunder

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jul 2012 - 7:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014140 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 8:05 AM

Quote: the uncomfortable possibility that incompetence was the real villain all along

Seems the most likely thing to me. Most people involved are doing the job for real for the first time, so you are bound to get some ****-ups.

mikehit
mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 8:48 AM

I put it down to incompetence. But after the two or three incidents in the last couple of years with the wrong anthem/flag being produced at tournaments I am amazed there was not an independent check before the flags went out.
No matter what the planning, it is always the little things that screw you up...

keith selmes
26 Jul 2012 - 8:50 AM

wrong anthem for example http://digitaljournal.com/article/321709 , quite funny really

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 26 Jul 2012 - 10:23 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014140 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 10:23 AM

link fixed

MODERATOR POST
thewilliam
26 Jul 2012 - 10:42 AM

You'd have thought that the organisers would have had a chart showing all the national flags: the sort of chart that might go on the wall in a primary school.

At least the ****-ups give the press plenty of material to fill those pages!

kodachrome
26 Jul 2012 - 11:00 AM

This person who put the wrong flag up is a 'Dork' but then i'm afraid most of the faceless back room people running the Olympics are probably just as incompetent not to mention a certain coach driver!

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
26 Jul 2012 - 11:30 AM

Quote: This person who put the wrong flag up is a 'Dork' but then i'm afraid most of the faceless back room people running the Olympics are probably just as incompetent not to mention a certain coach driver!

What? One person makes a mistake and you tar all of the organisers across 33 different sports as incompetent?

lobsterboy
26 Jul 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quote: At least the ****-ups give the press plenty of material to fill those pages!

Are the irony of journalists criticising other peoples mistakes.

mikehit
mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 12:31 PM

From the BBC website:

Quote: As yet the London games organisers have been unable to clarify who made the video.

So they just buy a video from any old company do they...?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 12:43 PM

Isn't it sad that people hate each other so much that, apparently, winning was not enough to make up for the "offence". Sad

And you can't even blame religion or different ethnicity either. Just good old ideology..............

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 12:53 PM

If this is the worse blip that occurs over the next few weeks then I'll be well impressed with the organisation. I'm not that interested in the Olympics as such, but to bring everything together like this is phenomenal and a headache to plan and execute. There are bound to be a few mistakes and many other countries haven't done half as well in the past. The actual park looks beautiful. If all goes to plan the media will have to report on the sport alone, and that'd be no fun for them at all! And we always like something to moan about, don't we. Wink

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 1:01 PM

Quote: This person who put the wrong flag up is a 'Dork' but then i'm afraid most of the faceless back room people running the Olympics are probably just as incompetent not to mention a certain coach driver!

Seems very unfair to hundreds of people working hard to deliver a successful event. On what basis do you make this claim?

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 1:24 PM

He who makes no mistakes does nothing.

lobsterboy
26 Jul 2012 - 1:42 PM

Malcolm, you got that quote wrong. it is actually:

Quote: He who makes no mistakes does nothing, except pontificate on internet forums.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.