Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How to approach/contact a photographer agents.

23 Jan 2012 10:17PM
Hello Guys.

I would like to ask for some advice on how to approach or contact a photo agents. I send already quite few emails to different London based photographer-agents but I didn't receive any replays yet and I was thinking, apart of my portfolio not been good enough, that is very likely the way I approach them wasn't the right one. Please share experiences or any information that may help with this one. By the way I'm not sure if this is the best option in my case as I'm trying, after I lost my day job, to go freelancer on full time bases.

Thanks.
Nikolay.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graflex 11 488 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:40AM
If submitting to an agent first thing to remember is lay off the photoshop techniques..unless you wish to work in the editorial office somewhere chipping away at skin tones and adding false colours.Editors don't like that...they make those decisions.

Show your work as it really is,but remember you are up against thousands of other applicants.Maybe all doing the same thing...agents need something to hang your hat on,in otherwords A STORY.
A beginning,middle and end.You need to submit a synopsis with the photograph(s)

Newsworthy pictures sell.Don't send mail,goes in the bin if they don't know you,ring them and get details or look on the concerned website.

Submitting the odd picture here and there,you might strike lucky with a cheque occasionally,but thats chicken feed,Im talking a constant stream of published pictures not rejects.

Been there,(Fleet St),and done it....blo.......hard work though.
24 Jan 2012 10:09AM
There's an article in this months issue of Professional Photographer about agents.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 5:48PM
They also have known proven photographers already in place, so they would rather buy from known repeatable photographers where they can - good suppliers are worth keeping.
If you have something they don't then you have an "in".

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.