Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to clean mould off cloth shutter?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    somersetpaul
    5 Jan 2013 - 12:04 AM

Looking at a Nikon SP in my local camera shop, but I am concerned about a small (3mm) white patch of mould on the shutter curtain. Is this a problem? My assumption is that it is because the mould is digesting the cloth. If so what is the best way to clean the shutter? This is an expensive camera so I don't want to experiment!

Thanks if you can help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jan 2013 - 12:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    5 Jan 2013 - 12:09 AM

easy steer clear Smile

paulcookphotography

Keep the camera and any bag it was in (and any other contents) away from other equipment until you have it looked at professionally

somersetpaul
    5 Jan 2013 - 1:12 AM

Thanks. I haven't bought it yet. I was just wonderimg how serious a problem this is.

pabloisme
    pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
    5 Jan 2013 - 8:33 AM

if it is really mould? it may be the composition of the plys are breaking down, it needs the fabric to be replaced AND you need to find an experienced "older" repairman! for the skills! as I remember it the fabric is a ply of fabric & rubber & fabric and sadly does deteriorate with use and age! if it was a pro camera may be the blinds were changed already?

negotiate the price as a "display" item! shame though

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    somersetpaul
    5 Jan 2013 - 10:28 AM

Quote: If it is really mould? it may be the composition of the plys are breaking down, it needs the fabric to be replaced AND you need to find an experienced "older" repairman! for the skills! as I remember it the fabric is a ply of fabric & rubber & fabric and sadly does deteriorate with use and age! if it was a pro camera may be the blinds were changed already?

negotiate the price as a "display" item! shame though

Thanks, yes I think it is mould. A small spot with threads surrounding it. Otherwise the blinds look good. I am hoping that it is just on the surface and will clean off but am unsure of whether to attempt this. The shop has dropped the price so I think I will go and have another look!

primetime
    primetime  2 England
    5 Jan 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi,
    These are great looking period cameras and I can understand why you fancy it. I think you, with the knowledge of this spot of fungus; need to take a very close look at the rest of the camera.

The lens is an important place to start. Look for traces of fungus around the edge of the lens as well as the central part. Theses can appear in various forms from root like treads to circular blobs and sometimes only show up as you move the lens and catch it in the right light (take a torch with you). Again does the camera smell? This will give you an idea of the environment that it has been kept in, with an obvious smell of musky damp, it could be that the whole camera has been subjected to damp/moist conditions.

Tea tree oil is a natural enemy of mould and is sold in small bottle from health food shops and could be applied sparingly/with care. Without going into even lengthier description this substance has a strong but pleasant smell that can also remove the associated aroma of dampness. There is much out there on the web regarding this and is well worth studying before you finalise your decision. As these cameras can be expensive, does the price reflect the general condition of this example?

We can all suffer blindness when the camera lust strikes…good luck.

somersetpaul
    5 Jan 2013 - 11:53 AM

"Camera lust"! I have a diagnosis for my condition at last! Lens and overall condition is good, but with a small ding in the top plate. Shutter speeds sound right. Viewfinder and rangefinder are good. Lens is 5cm f1.2. Has case/hood/cap. Do you know what a fair price would be? Seems to vary a lot on fleabay.

primetime
    primetime  2 England
    5 Jan 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi,
    I'd hate to advise you on price and as you pointed out there is a wide range of prices out there. The lens again would be a key factor and you state a 5cm 1.2...are you sure it isn't marked up as a 5cm 1:2 as this would make it a f2 lens and not a f1.2 lens. Most for sale out there are fitted with a f1.4 so if the lens is in fact a f1.2 then this would influence the value greatly and make it a more interesting find.

Again if it is a camera dealer selling this camera then I'm sure they are fully understanding the market with this camera and its specification (that's their job)..so again don't let the camera lust take over too much.

good luck.

somersetpaul
    5 Jan 2013 - 2:50 PM

Yes it's an F2.

pablophotographer

hydrogen peroxide....

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00O0BI

I had read an article on Amateur Photographer the last year about it..... suppose you can check their website it's written by Prof. Bob Newman.

somersetpaul
    6 Jan 2013 - 1:22 AM

Update, now have camera. I don't like the sound of hydrogen peroxide Pablo - that's hair bleach!

I have very gently brushed the mark with the tip of a cotton bud slightly moistened with very dilute detergent and it is 90% gone, with no obvious adverse effects.

Will load up some b&w film and take it to the seaside tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jan 2013 - 3:34 PM

Use a general mould spray designed for fabric, spray, leave for ten minutes, then wipe off.

If its very bad it might be best to have the whole shutter curtain replaced.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 7 Jan 2013 - 3:36 PM
    somersetpaul
    7 Jan 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: Use a general mould spray designed for fabric, spray, leave for ten minutes, then wipe off.

If its very bad it might be best to have the whole shutter curtain replaced.

Thanks Paul but it wasn't that bad and has cleaned off with just mild detergent, leaving no obvious marks on shutter cloth. Have you used the mould spray before? I only ask as I do have some but it is a white liquid and could leave a residue.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jan 2013 - 4:31 PM

I`ve used fabric spray in the past but not in a very long time, its best to leave on for a while to kill all the spores before wiping off.

Simply sponging might not be enough.

Can`t remember if the spray was white or not.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.