Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How to find if domain is registered?

19 Feb 2011 12:02PM
I have been searching for a name on various domain register sites, some say available and some say that it is registered. I have also searched it online but nothing comes up which leads me to believe that it is not actually registered but I could be wrong.

Will it just not show up as any kind of webpage if someone has registered it but not done anything with it or will it tell me it's in use?

Is there a definitive way to know with any particular domain registry site? do they all use the same register or at least should they?

Thanks for any help, I'm slowly being sent round the bend.

Stu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
19 Feb 2011 12:26PM
Try 123-reg.co.uk, Go Daddy, Name.com, FastDomain or eNorm, all pretty reliable, got mine from 123-reg.co.uk about 7 quid for a 2 year registration.

Good luck.
19 Feb 2011 12:31PM
That the thing 123 says it's available but Go Daddy says it's been registered. Very confusing
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
19 Feb 2011 12:37PM
Go with 123, its only 7 quid you've got nowt to lose.

Are you doing it to set up a web site?
Only asking because you will need to be able to re direct the name to your web site, some domain name registers don't allow access to change the direction without a hefty charge, so be careful.
19 Feb 2011 12:40PM
Thanks for that did not know they hit with charges to redirect, yes I want to use it for a website and be able to use the name to do that with.
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
19 Feb 2011 12:44PM
Well its a charge to give you access to the protocols of the register, bloody cheating sods.
Foliopic is a easy site to start with, worth a look and a few incentives to join up, I did and am very happy with it.
Good luck with your endevours.
19 Feb 2011 12:56PM
I want to use it with the Creative Motion Design Website, how much did 123 charge you to direct yours to Foliopic?

It's 2 steps forward at the moment and 1 step back, I will get there in the end fingers crossed!

Thanks again
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
19 Feb 2011 1:12PM
Mine's registered with Enom, via Google Apps and the name's redirected to my website for free.

Admittedly, mine's a Google site but I'm pretty sure that you can redirect to any site without charge.

Costs nothing to have a look.

Mine's a dot com address by the way and costs $5 pa.
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
19 Feb 2011 2:24PM
Jester, I,m afraid not, not all sites will let you do that, you need administrators privilages and some charge up to 20 for that!

123 do not charge for redirecting.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
19 Feb 2011 2:29PM

Quote:Jester, I,m afraid not, not all sites will let you do that

I did wonder.
20 Feb 2011 12:13PM
Thank you for the hep I have now registered a domain with 123, so all I need to do now is put the site togther and then redirect it. All sounds easy, I'm sure it won't be Wink

Stu "On a learning curve" Goatsmilk
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
20 Feb 2011 2:13PM
Stu its dead easy mate, if you go with Foliopic the set up is explained very simply, I did it so it must be simple......LOL.

This shows the steps needed to be done......... domain redirection
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
20 Feb 2011 2:23PM
Sorry, that link doesn't work, but take my word for it, it simples
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2011 6:27PM
I bought and have 3 registered domain names with 1&1. You can do it all via them and for 7each for two years they are great. They do not charge for sub domains. You can then redirect to Foliopic as I do.

Colin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.