Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to get an effect when taking pictures of fast running water

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

fauxtography
22 Apr 2009 - 1:58 PM

F4.5 is not going to help you, plus using settings from inside when you are outside is not going to help, as the lighting conditions are totally different.

You need to meter accurately for each scene, as Jeni said use the highest f number you can (and your lowest ISO), this will mean that to get a correct exposure you will have to use a slower shutterspeed - check your camera meter to see what speed you should use.

To make the best of this, you will need low light conditions, ie an overcast day, having your subject in shade, or say at dusk or just before sun up. ND filters will also reduce the amount of light coming into your lens so that will enable you to get a slower shutter speed and therefore softer smoother water.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2009 - 1:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny
22 Apr 2009 - 3:27 PM

You might consider starting from here:

Use shutter priority and set a shutter speed of 1/4 of a second for slow moving water and 1/8 of a second for faster moving water. This gives you white water but retains a sense of movement within it [which I prefer to the full-on milky shots]. Use a constant ND filter [or a polariser if you don't have one].

Note the aperture set by the camera and view the shots. Change the shutter speed to slower i.e. 1/2 second or 1/4 second respectively, note the aperture, view and judge the effect.

Keep doing this until at some point you will run out of aperture range meaning you would need additional ND type filtration to carry on.

Take them home and view them, judge and learn. Your personal preference should appear somewhere in the range of shots.

OK, the amount of light hitting the scene will vary from day to day but you only need to worry about the shutter speed you are going to set according to the speed of the water you are going to photograph.

There's no magic single figure - you just need to know where to start from and you do that by this little experiment

HTH

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 22 Apr 2009 - 3:45 PM
disgrayson
4 May 2009 - 7:50 PM

Cheers for all your advice. Trying to source some filters now. Realised I had got everything the wrong way round, hence why it was going so wrong. Am getting the hang of it now but still need to practice. Once again thanks for the advice.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.