Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to get an RC - No problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Run its course
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 11:50 AM

keep the RC!

they have different "value" to different people

can't see any reason to get rid, so long as you're conscious of "why" you got the award Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2008 - 11:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Jul 2008 - 11:52 AM

Quote: An RC is a milestone for everyone regardless of their ability

No its not, it just means they have clicked a lot of other peoples uploads (although there are exceptions). This practice has made RC's meaningless. Making friends through your uploads is fine, but real friends will tell you the truth, not praise every thing you do whatever the quality.

redjoker
redjoker  6981 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 11:54 AM

as a rather nasty person on this site said about my portfolio

"as mother told us, if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all"

wow great attitude Wink no wonder everyone says nice pic all the time! id rather someone gave me constuctive crit then just tell me nothing at all!

it just worries me that these photos that get the RC's when they clearly shouldnt are just being given some sort of false hope, how will anyone improve if that carries on?

bangalicious
16 Jul 2008 - 11:54 AM

For all those who have posted here...i love your portfolios and your photography. (i didnt manage to get round to viewing them all but i am sure that they are NICE)

My pic for you to comment on is here

Many Thanks in advanced Smile

bangalicious
16 Jul 2008 - 11:56 AM

Quote: No its not, it just means they have clicked a lot of other peoples uploads (although there are exceptions).

I totally agree with your contradiction. Ade for example, many and RC but very view "clicks"

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 12:02 PM

Quite agree with Ade. Not everyone who gets an RC gets it because they did the crime referred to above, and if someone regularly gets 20 odd clicks then gets an RC for one, then yes it has a value, as it says there's obviously something about that shot.

I just think all "scores" should be looked at in the context of the average for that particular individual, rather than compared to other people's.

About people with consistently high scores (50 odd +...)

they almost invariably are either superb photographers well above the average,

or, their average of comments to posted photos is in the region of 30+. So the more they put themselves about, the higher scores they get.

Now don't get me wrong, some of these can be quite wordy and critical comments, though obviously a lot aren't.

I do find it interesting the number of high scorers who have "recent activity" turned off, though I appreciate they may have other logistical reasons for this

(jeez, it's hard trying to watch everything you write Smile

Of course, thrown into this mix is that even if someone isn't giving 30+ comments per day, they might be clicking many more....

Started off as my 2 cents....if I keep going I might make it a euro so I'll stop now Wink

Stephen

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 12:15 PM

Just personally speaking, I'd value far more in the way of constructive criticism in the general comments here. In the past, on another photography forum (shock) I used to get some constructive 'negative' feedback at times in among the 'nice pic's which really helped. Sadly, that forum too seems to have gone down the 'nice pic' and reciprocal clicks route now and it seems almost unacceptable to rate something honestly or point out improvements that could be made. A real shame IMO.

So if anyone's listening - I'm now officially fishing for 'cr*p pic' comments Smile

Part of the problem seems to be that some people like honest feedback and others take offence, and it can be hard to tell that in advance. So for the epz staff - maybe we need some kind of 'Be brutally honest - I can handle it' indicator that members can set.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
16 Jul 2008 - 12:17 PM

If I believed my photography was as crap, as the views and clicks suggest it is....... I'd sell my gear tomorrow.

But I know my photography is brilliant, beyond the understanding of mere mortals.
That I will get my deserved Plaudits and accolades in photographic heaven when I'm dead.

It's all I live for......... Wink

Am I bovvered Smile

Col

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Jul 2008 - 12:18 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 12:20 PM

Quote: Ade for example, many and RC but very view "clicks"

true - I spend far more time doing critiques cause I've been trying to get my Silver "Good Critique" badge Wink

which I got this weekend I'm glad to say Smile

What I consider to be a "good" score for me is subject based.

Colourful landscapes - 60-80 clicks
Mono landscapes - RC - 40
Colourful HDR architecture shot - 60-80 clicks
Mono Architecture - 50-70
Natural Portrait - RC
Natural Mono Portarit - 20-RC
Worked "blue channel" mono portrait - 40-60

Varies an awful lot, which you can derive your own conclusions from

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Jul 2008 - 12:20 PM

Quote: But I know my photography is brilliant, beyond the understanding of mere mortals.

Your genius will be noted someday, but unfortunately you will probably fall into the category of dead genius by then Smile

User_Removed
16 Jul 2008 - 12:28 PM

You're just being Nice!

Col

riprap007
riprap007  101568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 12:37 PM

nice thread Wink

User_Removed
16 Jul 2008 - 12:41 PM

A very Nice thread........ well lit too Smile

Col