Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How to get an RC - No problem

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Run its course

glyndwr e2
7 66 9 Wales
16 Jul 2008 1:27PM

Quote:Quote:An RC is a milestone for everyone regardless of their abilityNo its not, it just means they have clicked a lot of other peoples uploads (although there are exceptions). This practice has made RC's meaningless. Making friends through your uploads is fine, but real friends will tell you the truth, not praise every thing you do whatever the quality.

"No it's not", "Yes it is"...

If those people are happy doing that why not just leave them alone?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
16 Jul 2008 1:38PM

Quote:If those people are happy doing that why not just leave them alone?

Within the greater scheme of things this is not that important, but what they are doing is basically dishonest, so they are fair game in my book.
wamp e2
8 276 8 England
16 Jul 2008 1:51PM
Fair game for what exactly?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2008 2:06PM
a wedgie?
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
16 Jul 2008 2:13PM

Quote:what they are doing is basically dishonest

Dishonest in what exactly?

Getting readers' votes? No. And that's all that's needed to get an RC. (Well, allright, thirty of them, to be exact.)

It would be different if this was a way to get an HC or EC, but it isn't. At least EC and HC mean something, because they're supposed to be given to good photographs only - although even that is subjective.

And let's be realistic, here. No one has ever said that you can derive any serious status from getting an RC, right? So what does it matter, really? If it makes a few people happy - fine with me.
fauxtography e2
9 6.6k 36
16 Jul 2008 2:14PM

Quote:Fair game for what exactly?

Both barrells, now pass me the other Purdey Wink
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
16 Jul 2008 2:16PM
Not 2 Purdeys!!....... that's going to far. Smile

Col
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2008 2:26PM
Give me a Mrs Peel any day Wink
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
16 Jul 2008 3:41PM

Quote:Dishonest in what exactly?

Well adding a glowing appraisal of technically abysmal photo for one thing. They know its rubbish so basically they are lying just to get a tick back.

Quote:Fair game for what exactly?

Criticism
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
16 Jul 2008 3:44PM

Quote:They know its rubbish so basically they are lying just to get a tick back.

You can't know that for sure. I think many people are sincerely less critical and therefore more inclined to say "Nice pic" than others. It doesn't necessarily mean they know what you say they know, and that they therefore must be lying.
FAQ

Quote:What does vote mean?

Under every photo there is a "Vote" button apart from photos with the critique option. The reason for this is that the users who upload these photos are looking for comments stating what is good about the photo and what they can improve upon.

Clicking the vote button will add one to the reader's votes. If you want to however you can add a comment by filling the Leave a Comment box at the bottom.

This is not a mandatory requirement, and you can just view and move on if you want to!

Please do not vote on a photo just because the person voted on yours this is seen as fishing for clicks and is not good site etiquette.

Also do not vote on a photo just because you like the person. Votes should indicate high quality and not friendship!

And as an RC is a direct result of this voting Conrad, it means it is indeed totally dishonest and often makes the site look like a joke. Your comprehension only adds to that.

Quote:If those people are happy doing that why not just leave them alone?

Quote:So what does it matter, really? If it makes a few people happy - fine with me

I wasn't very fond of Paul's comment on that particular photo.
But since the above quotes seem to be the norm, well then... go ahead Paul, fair game it is. If it makes you happy, fine with me. After all if you are happy doing that why don't they just leave you alone.

Right Conrad ? Right Robert ?
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
16 Jul 2008 3:58PM
I refer you to my later comment just above your post, Koen. I strongly disagree with those who want to judge others so harshly that they think they know for sure why people are clicking. How do you and Paul know what's going on in a person's head when he decides to click?

I may be an optimist, but I believe many people really do like the photos they give a "Nice pic" comment.

If you want to be a cynic and believe otherwise, that's up to you, but I think it's unnecessarily harsh judgment.
wamp e2
8 276 8 England
16 Jul 2008 4:01PM

Quote:And as an RC is a direct result of this voting Conrad, it means it is indeed totally dishonest

What a laugh! If we're not careful these people will be out stealing cars soon Wink

Quote:Criticism

What is worse? Someone who moans about simplified comments left on other peoples images to maybe get a click back and rarely comments at all, or someone who at least makes an effort and comments, be it a simple comment?
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
16 Jul 2008 4:06PM

Quote:You can't know that for sure

I can when the bloody thing is well out of focus, and its noisy as hell, yet not one mention of it in any of the (many) comments posted.

Quote:I wasn't very fond of Paul's comment on that particular photo.

Perhaps I should have been a bit more tactful, and in future I will do my best not to upset the photographer, but ludicrous comment will receive the contempt they deserve.
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
16 Jul 2008 4:10PM

Quote:I can when the bloody thing is well out of focus, and its noisy as hell

No, you can't. You must be assuming that everyone has the same taste, the same trained eye and the same experience with photography. No they don't! And many people just aren't as picky as others.