Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How to get an RC - No problem

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Run its course

boony 7 978 3 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 10:08AM
well the reason i put em up for crit(or will be doing anyway) is to disable the voting , no one votes on em anyway lol

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Jul 2008 10:20AM

Quote:Ha ha - you mean the dark area that gives fantastic contrast to the white tower?

it's all about perception Joolz

And what about all the posterisation around it, hmmm??? Wink

Admit it, Ade, you effed it up but were so hungry for admiration and RCs that you thought you'd put it up anyway. Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Jul 2008 10:44AM
you get posterisation from resizing mono shots for this site - especially ones with little/no blue channel in Wink

I like the shot a lot, I purposely rotated the the polariser around to get the dark area around the tower - all conscious decisions with a mono shot in mind. No f**k up, just style decisions. Smile

the coments on this thread are just a piss take - everyone getting so hung up on RC's a stuff, just throwing some petrol on the fire Wink
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
17 Jul 2008 12:29PM
Nice post. click
17 Jul 2008 3:55PM
This is my first forum contribution, how many people notice when they join EPZ that they put good images on and get hardly any votes, it's only when they start voting for other peoples work someone takes an interest in theirs, fact, find some of the decent photographers early contributions and check, the moaners probably don't vote on many,
Fred.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Jul 2008 4:17PM
you're obviously quite new to the forum's Fred, this subject has been discussed many many times before.

search for "click clique" and you'll get lots of hits.

not sure what you meant by this bit though

Quote: find some of the decent photographers early contributions and check, the moaners probably don't vote on many,

could you re-phrase it for us

ta
irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
17 Jul 2008 4:31PM

Quote:it's only when they start voting for other peoples work someone takes an interest in theirs

It still doesn't mean that their photographs are any good!!!!
BurntOut 8 321 2 England
17 Jul 2008 4:34PM

Quote:how many people notice when they join EPZ that they put good images on and get hardly any votes

Is that what it is? I always assumed it was because they were crap. Smile

I got low votes when I first started posting (and still do on many uploads). Eventually posted one that rocketed into the low twenties overnight. Shamelessly clicked and commented in the gallery for about a month I think and got the extra votes required for an RC. Complete anti-climax when it actually got there and I feel that process has, for me anyway, devalued the couple of "proper" RCs I have achieved since.

It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't a competition and votes weren't actually that important.
They clearly are to some people so, from someone who has been on both sides of the fence, live and let live.

Reformed Click-Fisher Wink
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 4:40PM

Quote: it's only when they start voting for other peoples work someone takes an interest in theirs,..........the moaners probably don't vote on many

Once again from the site FAQ:

Please do not vote on a photo just because the person voted on yours this is seen as fishing for clicks and is not good site etiquette.

Also do not vote on a photo just because you like the person. Votes should indicate high quality and not friendship!

As the OP I've been pleasantly surprised at how (generally) this thread has gone. As I indicated at the beginning it was not intended to 'fuel the flames' (nor am I moaning) merely demonstrate/quantify an experiment that was carried out. The one clear result (IMHO) of that experiment was that RC's are to all intents and purposes completely pointless.

What has been interesting is the pm's I've received with people saying that they do not bother commenting any more in a meaningful way as it isn't worth the hassle.

When I joined epz I knew nothing (I know a tad more now but have no great illusions). However, a very good pro (who now rarely posts) here gave me a lot of good advice and help. It's probably due to her help and advice that I've travelled as far as I have. For that I thank her and can only be grateful that she didn't just say 'nice pic' on my clearly poor attempts.

Now a few years on it seems that EPZ is 'falling between two stools' (sorry Pete if you don't agree). It seems to me that there are (for want of a better description) the enthusiasts who like the challenge of producing great images in their chosen genre and the social photographers for who photography is perhaps more of a social networking thing. Before you jump on me from a great height these are very broad generalisations; nor am I saying that one is superior to the other. The site management do of course have a vested interest in keeping site traffic as high as possible (that way advertising revenue is maximised) and want to encourage as broad a church as possible. This balancing act perhaps leads to some of the difficulties.
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
17 Jul 2008 4:48PM

Quote:the coments on this thread are just a piss take - everyone getting so hung up on RC's a stuff, just throwing some petrol on the fire

Unfortunately Ade, not everyone knows you as well as some of us.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 4:49PM

Quote:to me that there are (for want of a better description) the enthusiasts who like the challenge of producing great images in their chosen genre and the social photographers for who photography is perhaps more of a social networking thing

I think you've described well there what I was trying to get across in my previous post on this thread. Personally speaking, I value honest feedback and I feel that's been lost over the last 2-3 years, not just on this site but also on other similar sites. I feel I want to mark my photos as 'honest feedback only please' without disabling voting altogether. At the same time I'd like to understand who on here feels the same and isn't going to take undue offence at suggestions for improvement.
imander 7 388 7 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 4:49PM
Has there ever been a POLL to gage the members E2 and non E2 to see if they are really worried about the votes...I think that it would sort out this problem...I doubt very many would mind seeing them removed, after all there is now the USER AWARD which must stand for much more than an RC...Its the comments which are importrant and so what if they are all "NICE SHOT" as the Pagans say " IF IT HARMS NONE, DO AS YOU WILL".
I really cannot believe that people who recieve these kind of comments ( I for one) really think that they are worlds best photographers ,I think that that is quite unfair to lable people that way.
I have found that recieving these votes has actually spurred me on to experiment and to try and upload a better picture each time ( not that I always get it right Smile)
Surely there is more to life than worrying about who said what to who and why so and so got that many votes....I always thought that social networking was a way of making friends and publicising ones product....Lets face it if we dont advertise ourselves who will...
ian
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 4:51PM
I think the voting has value. Just as long as people don't see it as some kind of competition and get too hung up on the absolute figures.
Bluetooth 7 18 England
17 Jul 2008 4:53PM
I better watch myself as I have gone from just voting on an image (that I like of course), to putting a small comment in like "nice capture" or "nice image".I normally click and leave a comment on about 6 a day on average I would guess, nowhere near the 60 it looks like it takes to get an RC ! I've now realised that it might look like I am fishing for clicks, so I think I'll just go back to voting without leaving a comment.

Chris.
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 5:00PM

Quote: so I think I'll just go back to voting without leaving a comment.

Personally I think that would be a shame. My view is that you should find photos that you like, or don't like, that make you think or that inspire you; then comment accordingly and truthfully without fear or favour. Maybe they will comment back on yours - no problem.