Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to look after my Canon on planes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:23 AM

Yet another airport regulations post I know.

I've not long since got my new camera so I want to look after it. I have a Slingshot aw200, with my monopod through one of the accesory loops. What I want to know is it safe to put my camera etc. through the scanner, or how do they take it if you ask them to search manually. Also I have a tripod (in bag) could I take this on aswell or am I best sticking it in the bottom of my case?

A bit long winded but am gratefull for all advice, as my kit wasn't cheap!

Thanks
    Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevekhart
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:28 AM

Chris your camera will be fine through the scanner, and your tripod is better off in your hand luggage so long as you're within your weight limit, remember you're limited to one bag only to carry on. Enjoy your trip!

Mike Gray
    Mike Gray  9382 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:31 AM

Firstly you need to check the size of your bag and see if its ok to take as hand luggage, if thats ok just watch the weight as the checkin girls my ask for it to weighed and i think it must be under a certain weight (check with your airline company) if its overweight hang you camera around your neck and then walk in, put the camera back in your bag once on the plane. As for the monopod wrap it up in a towel and place it in your suit case. And finally i had no problems with the xray stuff.

HTH

Mike

Edit you may find if monopod taken as hand luggage, it might be classed as a weapon.

stevekhart
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:35 AM

I've taken tripods on BA and Lufthansa as hand luggage fine several times. Not sure where you got monopod from Mike Wink

alanDwest
    alanDwest  940 forum posts England
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:36 AM

Travelled to New Zealand last October. Took my camera and lenses on as handluggage put my tripod in my suitcase. No problem at all. Going through the xray machine was not a problem for my camera and kit.

Mike Gray
    Mike Gray  9382 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:43 AM

Whoops sorry Steve i see what you mean (monopod).
    Just the start of a bad day maybe.

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi, the Slingshot 200 should be no problem for size & weight even fully laden.

Best bet would be to put the monopod in your suitcase (checked luggage). Then they'll be no problems on that side. As stevekhart stated you'll only be able to carry one item of hand luggage with you onto the plane.

NikLG
    NikLG  81736 forum posts England
    3 Apr 2007 - 10:58 AM

I took my gear to Oz recently ( in a Lowepro AW trekker bag ) but put my monopod and tripod in my case. Mind you, I have a Nikon. They might stop you if you tell them you are taking a canon onto the plane....

Nik

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 12:31 PM

Quote: They might stop you if you tell them you are taking a canon onto the plane....

Nice one. Lol..

chrisheathcote
    3 Apr 2007 - 1:18 PM

They wouldn't believe me if I told them I had Nikon, coz I'm clean shaven. LOL

Thanks for all you're advice. Monopod & Tripod going in suitcase.

I'll put some shots in the gallery on my return.

Chris

randomrubble
    3 Apr 2007 - 1:52 PM

For the tripod/monopod. If you can't fit them in your case you can usually stick them in the outsize baggage, in a tripod bag.

chrisheathcote
    3 Apr 2007 - 2:42 PM

Quote: For the tripod/monopod. If you can't fit them in your case you can usually stick them in the outsize baggage, in a tripod bag.

Forgive my ignorance, whats outsize baggage and does it cost.

Chris

stevekhart
    3 Apr 2007 - 2:55 PM

It's what you would do with a child's buggy, for example. It's still checked in, but it goes through a separate scanner and doesn't go on the regular conveyer belts. If I'm checking in camera gear, I put into a peli and put on through outsized. No cost.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.