Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to prove a picture is mine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
15 Jan 2013 - 2:40 PM

Hey,
I've found a picture of mine is being used without permission on a Blog, hosted on blogger.com, the blog doesn't have any direct contact details I submitted a DMCA via Google. But now they've got back to me saying they need better proof that I am the copyright owner of the picture.

What's the best way? Upload the raw file and send them a link?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2013 - 2:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 3:42 PM

Is the picture here on EPZ, if it is the surely it will be for the other side to prove its there`s.

zan
zan  662 forum posts Scotland
15 Jan 2013 - 3:43 PM

I would ask google what proof they'd accept before you send the raw file away. The fact that it's in your possession is all that says it's yours, so if you upload it to the web you may leave it open to being nicked.

I'm sure they have procedures for this, just see what they say.

Britman
15 Jan 2013 - 3:44 PM

Hi Paul,
It's not on here but on my website, I sent them a link to it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 3:51 PM

Has it been hot linked, opposed to being copied and pasted.

Britman
15 Jan 2013 - 3:54 PM

It's been taken and uploaded to blogger.

collywobles
15 Jan 2013 - 3:56 PM

Quote: How to prove a picture is mine

Its all in the exif data, When it was taken, what camera took it (serial number. make & model) , exposure details - its all there and if you can prove you own the camera I'd say thats proof enough.

Last Modified By collywobles at 15 Jan 2013 - 3:57 PM
Britman
15 Jan 2013 - 4:02 PM

Thing is, all exif data has been stripped from the stolen picture.
I have emailed Google back, but don't expect a quick reply.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 4:13 PM

Quote: Thing is, all exif data has been stripped from the stolen picture.

That shouldn't matter. So long as you have the exif data with your picture that should prove it was you who took it.

Britman
15 Jan 2013 - 4:20 PM

Quote: Thing is, all exif data has been stripped from the stolen picture.

That shouldn't matter. So long as you have the exif data with your picture that should prove it was you who took it.

So I thought too.

andart
andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 - 4:30 PM

talking abut stealing things - you havent stolen your avatar from AP's 'what the duck' have you?

Britman
15 Jan 2013 - 4:50 PM

Quote: Talking abut stealing things - you havent stolen your avatar from AP's 'what the duck' have you?

Fair point sir.
And that prompted me to contact Aaron and he is fine with it. However I have now changed it to be inline with the rest of my social media avatars.

Last Modified By Britman at 15 Jan 2013 - 5:23 PM
Britman
16 Jan 2013 - 2:35 PM

Well this is what I've got back from Google, I have a feeling they want evidence that the picture has been registered at the US Copyright Office.

Quote: Under U.S. law, copyright in a photograph is generally owned by the photographer, unless the photographer took the photo as part of his responsibilities as an employee (in which case the image belongs to the employer), or the photographer entered into a written agreement to transfer the rights to the photograph to someone else. Therefore, a person who is the subject of a photograph is almost never the owner of the copyright of the image (unless the person has obtained the rights to the image in a written agreement). If you still believe you are the copyright owner in this case, then please reply to this e-mail with documentation that confirms you are the rights holder for this content. Otherwise we cannot process your complaint, and you should have the copyright owner file a DMCA notice with us.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 2:41 PM

Quote: I have a feeling they want evidence that the picture has been registered at the US Copyright Office.

I don't see that from what you have posted. To me what they are saying is pretty much the same as the law here. If you can prove you are the original photographer, ie copyright holder, then send them the evidence & they'll take the appropriate action.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:04 PM

As a Brit you can't register at the US Copyright Office, which is an action that bolsters protection for Americans under their law. Part of their response appears to suggest that you are actually in the image? That would make you less likely to be the owner of copyright.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.