Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to prove a picture is mine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
16 Jan 2013 - 4:21 PM

A diversion arising from the above:

If I hand a stranger my camera and ask her to take a photograph of my wife and me at some tourist attraction (as an alternative to sticking the machine on a tripod and using a remote release), does the copyright of my photograph on my camera theoretically belong to the stranger?

Or could I argue that I composed the photograph and the stranger merely operated a piece of machinery rather than playing any part in the origination of the art?

(purely academic)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jan 2013 - 4:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
16 Jan 2013 - 4:22 PM

Yeah I get that feeling, even though the picture is of a woman and my name isn't normally given to women. I think I have a model release for this picture, not sure that's evidence enough though.

Last Modified By Britman at 16 Jan 2013 - 4:23 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:23 PM

Just do a print screen of the raw file with EXIF data, and send it to them.
I wouldn't send them any raw file.

GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: Just do a print screen of the raw file with EXIF data, and send it to them.

Yes, that's the best route. I think they've sent you a generic copy and paste [American] response - hence all the irrelevant stuff.

In answer to LF, yes, I'm pretty sure that copyright strictly speaking belongs to the complete stranger!

Britman
16 Jan 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: Just do a print screen of the raw file with EXIF data, and send it to them.
I wouldn't send them any raw file.

It's worth a try, but even that can be faked I guess.

GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:31 PM

For Yahoo it's enough just to link to the URL where the photo was lifted from. Google seem to be a little more obstructive. Maybe this might be of use?

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:40 PM

Was a similar problem encountered recently where a model went down to the local boots and was told that they could not print the pictures without a signed statement from the photographer that she had the rights to do this.
Would you be OK creating your own headed paper referencing your http://markboadey.com/ company and writing a statement that you hold copyright for the image thumb nailed below and the original available full size (with that exif info) then signed by you and made into a PDF become a legal document that gives them the go ahead to pursue this.

The proof would now be a legal statement made by you not a technical evidence based approach or email complaint?
Or is that the same as a DMCA ?

Britman
16 Jan 2013 - 4:48 PM

Hi Jack,
That's a good idea, won't take long to draw up and I can add the screen grab as supporting evidence too.

Britman
16 Jan 2013 - 5:31 PM

Right that's done. Now I'll see what the response is.

Thanks for the advice. Grin

Britman
17 Jan 2013 - 8:25 PM

Just heard back from Google:

Quote: In accordance with Google Inc.'s policies concerning content removal we have completed processing your request. We are working on disabling access to the content in question at the following URLs:

The URL was here, I removed it. Don't want the site to get even more exposure.

If you need further assistance please contact us by replying directly to this email, or using our online forms at www.google.com/support/go/legal.

Regards,

The Google Team

So the statement I sent along with the screen capture was enough for the action to take place.

Result.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 9:43 PM

Its good to know, thanks for sharing the outcome Smile

User_Removed
17 Jan 2013 - 10:44 PM

Ditto.

Well done you and well done Google.

Britman
18 Jan 2013 - 3:09 PM

I'd totally forgot that I had uploaded the picture in question to EPZ!

Last Modified By Britman at 18 Jan 2013 - 3:10 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.