Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to stop images being extracted from PDF files... Help please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kylespins
kylespins  6107 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jun 2011 - 5:08 PM

Hello lovely helpful people who always seem to help me when I am stuck!!

So in a nutshell...

When I do a shoot afterwards I generally create a PDF file (using Bridge CS5 output and with a watermark 'over' each image) with all of the clients images on them. I Dropbox this to them to make a selection of the final photo's that I then edit and return high res.... bla de blaaa.

I found a while back that a client had already got a photo up onto her Facebook profile before sending her selection back to me and me sending her the final version.

I asked her how she did that and she said she just got some software to extract the images as JPEGs (original format) albeit in poor quality, but also unwatermarked.

Not cool in my eyes!

My question is... can this be prevented with Un extractable PDF files or other ways of offering client previewing capabilities. I know there are online client galleries but although I haven't tried them I am not much of a fan.. plus don't like paying for stuff when you don't have too so a bit of a tight ass (when PDF usually works fine).

I hope I have explained this scenario with enough detail. Any questions please ask away!

Many thanks in advance and hope to hear from some one soon.

Best,
kyle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jun 2011 - 5:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 5:15 PM

Quote: plus don't like paying for stuff when you don't have too so a bit of a tight ass

Sorry Kyle, but isn't that the issue?
There will always be people who can find a way around it (eg. "Print screen"). Doesn't mean you shouldn't try protecting your work, but but some people will always be happy to settle for low quality if they can save a buck or two.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 5:22 PM

Had the same thing the other week, shot a school prom, images up on website all watermarked, no sales but lots of ripped off shots on facebook.Sad The organiser was a friend & has been told and is asking people to take them down.

Speaking to a friends daughter this morning, she said that she'd never buy a shot just nick them off the site! Nice, I'm going to get her Dad to give her a days work and then say "I'm not paying you I'm just nicking your work".

MeanGreeny
30 Jun 2011 - 5:30 PM

PDF is nowhere near as secure as people like to think it is. I fear the only answer is to put a really pronounced watermark through a relatively low res picture - then add it to the PDF

My boss once told me that he 'always sent his lecture notes out as a secure PDF so that they wouldn't be copied'. I sent a reply back to him within 5 minutes of him emailing me the file and asked him if "Andrew was the name of his son?"

Smile

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 30 Jun 2011 - 5:34 PM
kylespins
30 Jun 2011 - 5:46 PM

Thanks everyone.

Valid points there.

I mean I am not trying to be a tight ass... if a service is secure and un-nickable I will happily pay for it but they are clearly not (screen grab etc).

I think i will have to simply go through the tiresome process of watermarking up to 1500 photo's each time, then reduce the resolution, then put in a bloody PDF... then send to the bloody client! What a pain in the ass!! for ten different people at a time... urrghh!!

If only i could some how make a huge JPEG file with all low res images (and numbers) and send that then they could only screen grab it at crappy small quality.

hmmmm...

kylespins
30 Jun 2011 - 5:49 PM

ooohhh.. had a thought.

How about making a PDF full screen then screen grabbing it into JPEG (before the clients buggers do). Then they can only zoom in on the jpeg to the small image of themselves. It does make it hard when they want to see details though... facial expressions etc.

Back to the drawing board!

What do you think?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 7:43 PM

Have you got photoshop? If so, look into "zoomify", and see if your web hosting site will allow you post a couple of the flash elements. That may help you

bagman
bagman  365 forum posts United States
30 Jun 2011 - 9:26 PM

i am in the states and a photographer here does weddings and is using a software to encode his work.
he seen proofs pages to order from .but they can be copied . i have tried but they come out letters.
so look for something like that.
frank.

bagman
30 Jun 2011 - 9:27 PM

i am in the states and a photographer here does weddings and is using a software to encode his work.
he seen proofs pages to order from .but they cant be copied . i have tried but they come out letters.
so look for something like that.
frank.

MeanGreeny
30 Jun 2011 - 9:28 PM

1 way of skinning the cat:

Make a brush that 'brushes' a watermark.

Record an action as you brush the watermark onto a jpeg

Run the action as a batch on all the jpegs

bagman
30 Jun 2011 - 10:12 PM

i am really bad at this.the software only works small printed photos. stops low res. print san for computer use.
after san they look like heck. so not hear in this case so sorry i stuck my nose in. forgive an old man.
thank you.
frank.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2011 - 1:59 AM

People don't care about watermarks and the like for FB pics. They are sometimes happy to post the pic, watermark and all!

Screen grabs will overcome any security you care to name. Many years ago someone on here tried to do something clever using flash, so that the image was only visible for a short period; he was very proud of it. But I still managed to to do a screen grab and I posted the pic on here just to make a point. He was not pleased. Grin

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2011 - 11:04 PM

at the end of the day, if you can see an image, then you can copy it.... throw all the security you like at me.... at the end of the day, if i can see it on my screen, then i can get my camera and take a picture of the screen..... NO security, will stop people nicking images if they want them.

it will be a long term problem when posting images on line. If you put a big enough watermark over the image to make it so no one wants to copy it, then you are also putting one big enough over it so no one will want to buy it either. Sad

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2011 - 1:18 AM

Quote: If only i could some how make a huge JPEG file with all low res images (and numbers) and send that then they could only screen grab it at crappy small quality.

Contact sheet in photoshop?

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2011 - 1:22 AM

Anything you send out can be coppied - so perhaps the answer is not se send out the images at all?

Visit the client in persion (or have them visit you) and show them the images via a big projector. If they dont wish to buy, then just walk away.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.