Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to stop the view through the viewfinder sleeping - 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    digiman57
    digiman57  3 United Kingdom
    17 May 2012 - 9:45 PM

Well, i bought the refurbished 7D for 800 and am well pleased with it. The shutter count was 3820 which being low is an added bonus Grin

I have set it up almost how my D300 was set up for motorsports but i have one problem which someone may be able to help me with please?

When you look through the viewfinder, along the bottom of the screen is the row with shooting details on...after about 4 seconds of inactivity it turns itself off, i would prefer it to stay on indefinitely...is that possible? (the Nikon did) I suppose not knowing what it's called doesn't help me find it LOL

I've got it so the camera doesn't sleep but this other one is beginning to agitate me.

Is there a way of changing the settings?

Cheers

Martin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 May 2012 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    18 May 2012 - 8:24 AM

What does the manual say?

Wink

digiman57
    18 May 2012 - 9:00 AM

Can't find anything in the manual about it, and i've not seen or heard it mentioned in tutorials so that's why i'm asking Smile

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 9:12 AM

Does http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5626944/how_to_set_auto_power_off_on_canon_7d_dslr... this help?

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8505 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    18 May 2012 - 9:21 AM

You can't keep the viewfinder info displaying permanently.

digiman57
    18 May 2012 - 9:22 AM

No, already got that set up and doesn't make any difference....but thanks anyway :O)

I have to go out now but i'll have a look in the Nikon D300 specs to see what i did ...maybe in this case Canon can't?? LOL

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 9:40 AM

Quote: after about 4 seconds of inactivity it turns itself off

That would annoy the hell out of me, I must say! 4 seconds is totally inadequate. I don't have a Canon DSLR any more, so I can't help with settings, but I don't recall the 5D Mk II doing this.

I have checked my current camera (EVF on OM-D) and it seems to stay on indefinitely by default.

There are quite a few 7D owners on here, though, so I'm sure they can help.

rambler
    rambler e2 Member 6469 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

The display stays on if you keep the shutter button depressed half way. There is no mention of being able to change the duration of the display in an extended guide to the 7D

Ken

fraser
    fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

email to the Canon helpdesk perhaps?

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Or phone them: 01737-220000.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8505 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    18 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you look on p35 of the 7D handbook it states that the exposure settings will be displayed for 4 seconds.

All the Canons do this, but a quick touch of the shutter button brings the info back instantly. (Regarding Carabosse's comment that it would annoy the hell out of him.....it obviously didn't, because the 5D ll does exactly the same!)

digiman57
    18 May 2012 - 2:58 PM

In the Nikon manual, it shows it as 'auto-meter off display'." This option controls how long the camera continues to meter exposure when no operations are performed." then there is a choice from 4secs - 10 minutes and No Limit.

That is what i was hoping the 7D would do....

Carabosse, i rang that number, they couldn't help......unless i wanted to pay a commercial bill for printers LOL, but thanks anyway :O) They gave me another helpline support number and the young lady i spoke to is going to investigate and let me know, but she said she hadn't heard of it....doesn't look good for me at the mo...seems i may have to keep my 'finger on the button', so to speak and get used to it....

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2012 - 7:35 PM

try touching the shutter button that might bring it up .

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.