Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to transfer Lightroom catalogues to new computer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi all,
I am having a new computer delivered on Monday and I need to transfer all my imaging programs over to it.

I think that CS4 should be easy, just a reload from disc.
Noiseware etc just the same.

I keep all my images on a separate drive but Lightroom has catalogues so a reload from disc would be no good.

I would appreciate any guidance with this.

John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 10:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

akh
akh e2 Member 101138 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

Quote: I think that CS4 should be easy, just a reload from disc.

Don't forget to deactivate it on your original computer first.
Tony

canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 11:21 AM

Ah, good point akh, what made me think I could do something right of my own batSad

Last Modified By canonfan46 at 3 Nov 2012 - 11:21 AM
canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 11:25 AM

Just to check about CS4.
I have bought an upgrade from CS4 to CS6 and have the new disc ready for the new computer.
I had the idea that I only had to load the new CS6 onto my new computer using the serial numbers from both the old and the new PS.
Is this correct?

Last Modified By canonfan46 at 3 Nov 2012 - 11:44 AM
Daffy1
Daffy1  6332 forum posts Ireland
3 Nov 2012 - 12:02 PM

I going to be doing the same in the new year so I'm looking forward to the educational session in this thread ! Windows 8 or stay with 7 ?? . I'm hoping to upgrade to D800 Damian

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 2:27 PM

I have all my photos on an external HDD and LR on my laptop (where I do the first-level sorting etc) is set up to back up the catalogue to the HDD every time I quit the programme. That means I can take the HDD to the other (main) computer and use the catalogue on the HDD for the next set of editing. If LR is set up in the right way, the catalogue will be automatically be posted to the new C drive with the back up on the external HDD.
If your photos are not on HDD you could back up the catalogue to a pen drive.

canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 2:57 PM

I hate having to do this again.........
I havent got a clue what is happening in the backgrond with my catalogue.

I know that all the images are on a separate hard drive (I).
When I look into the (I) drive, I can see all my folders with the images inside, Does this mean that my catalogue is in the (i) drive?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 3:01 PM

Quote: When I look into the (I) drive, I can see all my folders with the images inside, Does this mean that my catalogue is in the (i) drive?

Nope, if you havn't changed it the default location of the Lightroom catalog is…

Windows XP – [systemdrive]\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Windows Vista\7 – [systemdrive]\Users\[your username]\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Mac – [systemdrive]/Users/[your username]/Photos/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

If you installl Lightroom then use the files & settings transfer wizard, you can move all your stuff over to the new machine easily and that will include the catalogue.

canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 3:10 PM

Thanks lobsterboy, I can see the catalogues where you directed.
I can see the following folders:-

Lightroom 2 Catalogue Previews.lrdata
Lightroom 4 Catalogue Previews.lrdata

I assume theses were created when I updated from LR2 to LR4

Is it the LR4 catalogue that I back up top to a pen?

canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 3:14 PM

As well as the above folders I can see 3 others:-

Lightroom 2 Catalogue
Lightroom 3 catalogue
Lightroom 4 catalogue

There are also 4 Temporary Import Data files

canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 3:20 PM

The arrangement that I made with the supplier of the new machine is that I will collec the machine on Mon morning and leave my old machine with him as part exchange.

I was hoping that I only had to download my LR4 from the Adobe website and hadent considered how to move the catalogue

Jestertheclown

Quote: leave my old machine with him as part exchange.

Make absolutely sure that there's nothing left on it of a personal nature.

In fact, if you're able to, format the hard drive.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 3 Nov 2012 - 3:29 PM
canonfan46
3 Nov 2012 - 3:41 PM

Bloody computers..........Sad

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 4:36 PM

Quote: The arrangement that I made with the supplier of the new machine is that I will collec the machine on Mon morning and leave my old machine with him as part exchange.

Well the catalogue should get moved over as part of that process.

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 5:01 PM

Quote: Just to check about CS4.
I have bought an upgrade from CS4 to CS6 and have the new disc ready for the new computer.
I had the idea that I only had to load the new CS6 onto my new computer using the serial numbers from both the old and the new PS.
Is this correct?

Yes - you won't have to install CS4 on your new computer. Simply install the CS6 upgrade and enter the CS4 serial number when asked.

Whatever you do, when you "trade in" your old computer, do not give them your hard disk from it (even formatted!!!). There is a whole identity fraud industry built around extracting data from "old" computers that have been scrapped or re-sold. When you remove the HDD from the machine, soak it in concentrated nitric acid for 24 hours and then smash it with a sledgehammer before burying it in quicklime.

If you don't fancy doping that, there is a company called "Diskshred UK" (Google for them) who claim to...."Using our lorry-based shredder at your premises, we reduce your devices to 20mm pieces of debris, rendering the materials unsalvageable and the data they contain forever irretrievable." But that would probably cost more than your new computer!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Nov 2012 - 5:07 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.