Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to trigger flash heads.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dazzaman
    dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
    16 Oct 2009 - 11:10 PM

can someone help. i did a photo shoot the other night for a friends family. i was using the pop up flash on my d200 to trigger the 2 portaflash heads. but ive got very harsh shadows on the white background. so im not a happy chappy. is there any other way i can trigger the flash heads, without using the pop up flash?????????????????
    thanking you.
    daz.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Oct 2009 - 11:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnthonyM
    AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Oct 2009 - 11:18 PM

A few things to try... I'm assuming your pop-up flash is what is affecting the scene in an unflattering way.

Put a heavy diffuser over it. The other strobes should still pick up the flash without it affecting the scene as much. Or use a gobo or a reflector to keep it from directly hitting the subject at all. As long as the light is seen by the strobes they should still slave off the flash.

You can always use a hot-shoe flash and swivel it to one side.

Otherwise, the best solution is simply to get an infrared or radio trigger for one of the strobes. The remaining strobes will then slave off the first. (i.e. no need for a receiver for each light!)

One other solution... ramp up the power on the strobes to far exceed the pop-up flash. Then it will not contribute enough to matter. Of course your subjects may not like the extremely bright flash...

Last Modified By AnthonyM at 16 Oct 2009 - 11:20 PM
    FatHandedChap
    16 Oct 2009 - 11:22 PM

There are several ways - Infra red trigger, radio trigger, or a flash gun on reduced power pointed at the ceiling.

You don't say about the set up, but for a shadow free backdrop you need several feet of separation between your subject and the backdrop; for a white background you will ideally be lighting it separately from the subject.

A bit more info about your set-up and maybe an example would help us to help you more.

Tony

dazzaman
    17 Oct 2009 - 8:58 AM

hi guys, i was using 2 portaflash 336vm units, one to either side of me, just above head height.on full power. one was reflected off a white brolly, and the other was shooting through a white brolly. and the pop up flash was firing, to trigger the slaves on the flash heads.
    daz.

Last Modified By dazzaman at 17 Oct 2009 - 8:58 AM
    Snapper
    Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:45 AM

Spend 20 on this trigger and your problems will disappear! It certainly fires my 336 heads.

kaybee
    kaybee  103830 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 10:48 AM

All the flash units can be turned down (the pop up can be turned down to 1/125th power so that it will trigger the main lights without adding to the light from them)

dazzaman
    17 Oct 2009 - 3:34 PM

thankyou guys, will have a play tomorrow Smile
    daz

dazzaman
    17 Oct 2009 - 3:36 PM

not sure if that remote unit for 20 will work with portaflash?????????

Snapper
    Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 3:48 PM

Quote: Not sure if that remote unit for 20 will work with portaflash?????????

There was a clue in my original post

Quote: It certainly fires my 336 heads.

Tongue

Last Modified By Snapper at 17 Oct 2009 - 3:48 PM
    dazzaman
    17 Oct 2009 - 6:29 PM

sorry peter, was a bit thick there lol.
    daz.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.