Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How to trigger flash heads.

dazzaman 8 630 England
16 Oct 2009 11:10PM
can someone help. i did a photo shoot the other night for a friends family. i was using the pop up flash on my d200 to trigger the 2 portaflash heads. but ive got very harsh shadows on the white background. so im not a happy chappy. is there any other way i can trigger the flash heads, without using the pop up flash?????????????????
thanking you.
daz.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnthonyM 9 388 2 United States
16 Oct 2009 11:18PM
A few things to try... I'm assuming your pop-up flash is what is affecting the scene in an unflattering way.

Put a heavy diffuser over it. The other strobes should still pick up the flash without it affecting the scene as much. Or use a gobo or a reflector to keep it from directly hitting the subject at all. As long as the light is seen by the strobes they should still slave off the flash.

You can always use a hot-shoe flash and swivel it to one side.

Otherwise, the best solution is simply to get an infrared or radio trigger for one of the strobes. The remaining strobes will then slave off the first. (i.e. no need for a receiver for each light!)

One other solution... ramp up the power on the strobes to far exceed the pop-up flash. Then it will not contribute enough to matter. Of course your subjects may not like the extremely bright flash...
FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
16 Oct 2009 11:22PM
There are several ways - Infra red trigger, radio trigger, or a flash gun on reduced power pointed at the ceiling.

You don't say about the set up, but for a shadow free backdrop you need several feet of separation between your subject and the backdrop; for a white background you will ideally be lighting it separately from the subject.

A bit more info about your set-up and maybe an example would help us to help you more.

Tony
dazzaman 8 630 England
17 Oct 2009 8:58AM
hi guys, i was using 2 portaflash 336vm units, one to either side of me, just above head height.on full power. one was reflected off a white brolly, and the other was shooting through a white brolly. and the pop up flash was firing, to trigger the slaves on the flash heads.
daz.
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
17 Oct 2009 9:45AM
Spend 20 on this trigger and your problems will disappear! It certainly fires my 336 heads.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
17 Oct 2009 10:48AM
All the flash units can be turned down (the pop up can be turned down to 1/125th power so that it will trigger the main lights without adding to the light from them)
dazzaman 8 630 England
17 Oct 2009 3:34PM
thankyou guys, will have a play tomorrow Smile
daz
dazzaman 8 630 England
17 Oct 2009 3:36PM
not sure if that remote unit for 20 will work with portaflash?????????
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
17 Oct 2009 3:48PM

Quote:Not sure if that remote unit for 20 will work with portaflash?????????

There was a clue in my original post

Quote:It certainly fires my 336 heads.
Tongue
dazzaman 8 630 England
17 Oct 2009 6:29PM
sorry peter, was a bit thick there lol.
daz.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.