Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

HOW TO use RRS L Bracket

russellsnr 10 93 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 6:58AM
Hi, I have never actually seen the RRS L bracket in the flesh (so to speak) but reading many articles it seems to be a very good piece of equipment, so I dived in and bought one (used) but what I cannot find online is how to actually attach it to the tri-pod. I have a Manfrotto 329 RC4 and a Manfrotto 222 both with differant QR plates do I need to purchase something else?, Not got the RRS yet so kinda pre M it's arrival.
Thanks
Russ

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
1 Jun 2011 8:28AM
Hi Russ.
I think you will find that RRS and Manfrotto aren't compatible, and that RRS do not, so far, make anything that supports the Manfrotto mounting plate system - I emailed them to find this out!
Manfrotto have their own, highly specific mounting plates.

What you will will need to do is get a tripod head that is Arca-Swiss compatible. It's a more "universal" style of fixing.
A number of manufacturers make this style of clamp/mounting system: RRS, obviously, do these but can be very expensive; Kirk is another manufacturer - also expensive.
I only know this because it's a dilemma that I have found myself facing, being a Manfrotto tripod and head user.
When funds allow I also intend to get the RRS L-plate and will probably investigate RRS or the much cheaper option of a Markins ballhead, although my own preference is a three-axis head.
FYI
http://www.markinseurope.com/en/index.php

They are highly recommended, apparently.

Hope this helps

Bill
1 Jun 2011 9:00AM

Quote:Hi Russ.
I think you will find that RRS and Manfrotto aren't compatible, and that RRS do not, so far, make anything that supports the Manfrotto mounting plate system - I emailed them to find this out!
Manfrotto have their own, highly specific mounting plates.

What you will will need to do is get a tripod head that is Arca-Swiss compatible. It's a more "universal" style of fixing.
A number of manufacturers make this style of clamp/mounting system: RRS, obviously, do these but can be very expensive; Kirk is another manufacturer - also expensive.
I only know this because it's a dilemma that I have found myself facing, being a Manfrotto tripod and head user.
When funds allow I also intend to get the RRS L-plate and will probably investigate RRS or the much cheaper option of a Markins ballhead, although my own preference is a three-axis head.
FYI
http://www.markinseurope.com/en/index.php

They are highly recommended, apparently.

Hope this helps

Bill

Hi, Many thanks I checked the link for the Markin (when I got back off the floor) 300+ Euros and you say the others are expensiveSmile
Think Christmas is a long way offGrin
Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball headSmile
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 9:10AM
There is a much cheaper way. Giottos do a range of arca compatible adaptors and heads. The adaptor is about 40. Even of you buy a new head to put it on, you're looking at about 120 all in.
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
1 Jun 2011 9:20AM

Quote:Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball headSmile

If only.........Wink
I'm lucky if I'm allowed to buy a new CF card! Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
1 Jun 2011 11:22AM

Quote:Quote:Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball head
Your wife's set her sights to low IMHO. Grin
3 Jun 2011 4:44PM
Hi, Please could someone give an opinion as to this item 270756123054 on Ebay
I think it will do the job but not 100% sure.
Thanks
Russ

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.