Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How to view a picture taking in Raw mode?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tainodi
    tainodi  833 forum posts
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:35 AM

Hi guys, please I will need your advice on this issue. I have just bought a Canon 400D camera, I took some pictures in Raw mode, but I am have difficult viewing the pictures in "My Pictures" after I transfer the pics. onto my computer. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:39 AM

If you want to see the thumbnails you need to download and install the RAW viewer plug in if it is Windows Xp. Not certain if it works on earlier versions of windows. If you want to edit the files you need to install a piece of RAW editor software. your camera should have come with some.

tainodi
    tainodi  833 forum posts
    22 Mar 2007 - 1:38 AM

Thanx Strawman for your advice, yes my camera came one or two disc. Thanx once again, I really appreciate your help. On a different matter, your pics are very beautiful. I wish I could take pictures like yours.

MUYMALESTADO
    22 Mar 2007 - 9:42 AM

Several photo software systems include a RAW viewing facility - eg, paintshoppro from V9 just opens my Canon RAW shots like any jpg, etc.

tainodi
    tainodi  833 forum posts
    22 Mar 2007 - 5:18 PM

Thank you MUYMALESTADO for your advice.

User_Removed
    22 Mar 2007 - 8:07 PM

Google Picasa is pretty good too - it's free and lets you do some basic editing.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    tainodi
    tainodi  833 forum posts
    23 Mar 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hi AHobbs, thank you for replying to my question. I will check it out, thanx.

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    23 Mar 2007 - 10:12 AM

Quote: If you want to see the thumbnails you need to download and install the RAW viewer plug in if it is Windows Xp.

Unfortunately I don't believe that the RAW viewer plugin for Windows XP Explorer can view 400D files yet. But on one of the CD's with your 400D you should have received both ZoomBrowser (which allows you to view and arrange your RAW files) and Digital Photo Professional, DPP (which allows you to process and edit your CR2 files).

Simon

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    23 Mar 2007 - 10:30 AM

Another program to look at is FastStone Image Viewer.

It handles most RAW files. I use it for trawling through my latest images, its simple to use not memory intensive and is fast even when displaying thumbnails from 4 gigs with of 5D RAW files.

It has basic editing features and you can also link it PS SSP or whatever main programs you are using for editing / conversion.

PS it is also Vista compatible.

tainodi
    tainodi  833 forum posts
    24 Mar 2007 - 12:03 AM

Thank you guys, you guys are the greatest. This is why new photographer enjoy this sites. Thanks a million for all of your replies.

davewaine
    davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2007 - 11:11 PM

Just remember that, once you get your RAW files displayed in your chosen software, they are likely to look pretty ropey until you have worked on them. That is my experience at any rate. RAW has a habit of hiding its light under a bushel and I have committed the cardinal sin of initially rejecting shots that turned out to be perfectly good once tweaked.

alan a
    alan a  10 United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2007 - 8:25 PM

Hello, this may be a bit late,but I hope it's of interest, try and get the back copy of Digital Photo for June 2006 it came with a free copy of Rawshooter essentials 2006, it's a full version of Raw editing software I'm finding it really usefull. But check that it supports your camera.
    Try www.DPMAG.co.uk for ordering back copies.
    Good luck,
    Alan

skeletor
    skeletor  101643 forum posts England
    3 Apr 2007 - 8:39 PM

You can still download RSE from here and here

Don't think the 400D is supported though.

Steve

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 8:47 PM

Another vote here for Faststone Viewer. It's great for browsing RAW files from almost any Manufacturer. It is quick and easy to sort the wheat from the chaff prior to conversion, although I've not tried it for actual conversion.

HI

Ian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.