Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How Would You Have Responded?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 2:19 PM

I was busy working on the computer when the 'phone rang.

Picking it up there was a pause, then a broken English accent inquired if I was the owner of the 'phone number, I'd love to hear what your response would have been?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Dec 2012 - 2:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 2:27 PM

I'd have just put the phone down. If it rang again I'd leave in on answerphone. Usually they just ring off.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 19 Dec 2012 - 2:27 PM
angej
angej  9477 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 - 2:27 PM

No... Im just the answering service!!Smile

ikett
ikett  4351 forum posts England
19 Dec 2012 - 2:34 PM

In the proccess of changing my mobile number, because of the number of PPI sales and other annoying crap I get, I think if I wrote my last response it would be deleted.

I stopped using a landline 3 years ago for the same reason, can't believe how hard it is to change a contract mobile number mid contract.

What's more annoying many of the calls are from auto dialers allow 3 rings and hope you ring back.

Sorry for the rant you've hit a nerve

canonblaster
19 Dec 2012 - 2:38 PM

my best yet... when they ask for a name I put them on hold my phone plays lovely music.

ten minutes later I go back but they have hung up, oh dear there expence mot mine

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 3:19 PM

My wife reckoned I should have said "No, I'm a Burglar" but I was a bit boring and simply told him the question was irrelevant as I wouldn't be talking to him - then thought there had to be a better response, which is why I posted the thread Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56454 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 3:23 PM

It depends on my mood:
put the phone down
have a protracted discussion about how he does not sound like a 'John' and if he won't even tell me his name how can I trust what he says
if they are selling [insert servcie] how do they know how much I am paying at the moment and if they don't how, do they know how much money I can save. If they do know, they must have obtained the information illegally.
start the conversation then put the phone on the desk and see how long it takes them to realise they are talking to an 'empty' line

Paul_Anthony
19 Dec 2012 - 3:24 PM

I usually ask them what they want and then as they go into the selling blurb, put the phone down on the side and go about my business, usually whistling and singing as I go, they soon get fed up. Tongue

Newdevonian
19 Dec 2012 - 3:26 PM

I always use "Just a minute I will get him / her for you" and then put the phone in a drawer. Sometimes I can't find the phone afterwards!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43913 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 3:40 PM

Tell them i am interested but busy and ask for their private number and ask what time would be convenient to ring them back to continue the conversation.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 19 Dec 2012 - 3:40 PM
AlanPerkins
19 Dec 2012 - 3:47 PM

A good, loud football whistle can be effective, I've heard Smile

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41050 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 3:51 PM

The one that bugs me is your bank. They make you jump through hoops trying to prove who you are when YOU ring THEM. When THEY ring you trying to sell THEIR latest product they expect you to jump through the same hoops....

brian1208
19 Dec 2012 - 4:05 PM

My Bank never ring me trying to sell me anything - they know better! Tongue

(I did agree to have an "acount review meeting" once as the lass who asked me to do so was so sweet and seemed worried I may need help. The nice young man who carried out the review and I both agreed I was probably running my account at the optimum for me so we chatted about fishing and photography for around 15 minutes. We both got a nice cup of coffee and biccies out of it too Grin )

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 5:40 PM

Que?

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 6:00 PM

Response is aimed at telling them I'm not a potential buyer - normally saying 'no i rent' means no call backs Wink

Banks, Grr - My Bank is rubbish too, not only did they promise something then refuse it, then paid back my costs and some nominal compensation but then 3 months after this complaint where I said i would leave them if I could find the time, they tried to sell me loans despite seeing I had savings elsewhere, they tried to tell me i'd save money by taking a loan over a longer period and at a higher APR. When challenged on this i was passed to a supervisor who tried to bully talk me to thinking it was right - LLoyds' you have twice tried to tell me wrongful information to sell me products - I'm a lifetime customer with no trust for you at all.
Actually thinking about it - another time they invited me in to discuss another too good to be true product and then tried to sell me another entirely - I remember storming out the meeting disgusted at the lies the sales reps would tell to get you thinking about their latest product.

I now talk to independent, recommended people I choose to contact - not faceless organisations with false promises.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.