Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How would you have shot this guys?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
NikonD80Shooter

As you can see from the photo, the sky looks washed out. If I had expose for the sky, the rest of the photo may have been overexpose. How would you have shot this to get a good exposure?
lake-moraine-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2010 - 1:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Warriorpoet
11 Sep 2010 - 1:34 AM

I would have used a nd grad filter to even the exposure out and a polariser to reduce the glare in the reflection. Taking separate exposures for the foreground and sky then blending them in hdr software is another option.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2010 - 1:40 AM

As you are asking about a 'good exposure', I won't suggest the option of taking two exposures (one for the sky and one for the ground), and then merging in Photoshop)

Instead, I would use an ND grad filter to balance the exposure.
For this shot, you will need a grad with a 'soft' transition. Place the filter at an angle so that 'grad' part is over the sky. Unfortunately this will darken some of the cliff face as well, but with the soft grad, hopefully this will not look too obvious. It a case of making the best compromise.

Its difficult to say the strength of grad you will need for this shot without being there, but at first guess I would say a 0.6 ND (2 stop)

NikonD80Shooter

Thanks guys.

Tell me something, could I have expose for both the highlights and the shadows, then merge the two in Photoshop with a black & white gradient?

I do not own any ND grad filters, but I do have a polarizing filter. Maybe that's something I have to look into.

Freefall
Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
11 Sep 2010 - 6:56 AM

You could, but you may as well use 2 layers in PS, a mask, and paint the correctly exposed sky into the correctly exposed foreground? Will take some paying to get a balance that doesn't look artificial....

BarrieNeilPhotography

Talking about your example, it is in fact impossible to expose the entire photograph correctly in a single exposure even using a ND filter.

The ND filter will certainly help and will largely 'solve' the problem but because your 'bright' area is of an odd shape, an ND filter will inevitably affect some areas you do not wish to be affected and/or not affect areas you do. If you use a ND filter, you will need to cover the entire over-exposed area which will cause overlap on the hills and therefore you will then need to bring out detail in the shadow area of the hill in computer. This is likely to cause excessive noise in those areas which is not really desirable. You'll need to try it to see if you can get away with it.

The only 'precise' way of obtaining an end image where all the tones are in balance and where overall contrast and exposure is in balance, is to do what was suggested earlier and take two or more images and blend them together. I'd recommend three exposures, one for the highlights, one for mid-tomes and the third for the shadow areas.

There are many ways of doing the blending; you can use layers and layer masks or commonly these days, you use HDR software to handle it for you (HDR software can be used to make quite dramatic effects but is also useful to blend variations of the same image taken at different exposures but leaving the resulting image looking 'natural'). In most cases, the exposures will need to be taken on a tripod to ensure perfect alignment of the various images.

Barrie Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 11 Sep 2010 - 7:42 AM
AnthonyM
AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2010 - 12:19 PM

Just one more option...
Bring the exposure down a tad and shoot RAW. Then do some recovery of the "blown" highlights. If they are truly blown this may not help, but sometimes you can get a good amount back if exposure is close.

Other silly options...
- Use the ND grad slanted. It will cause some of the rocks, trees and mountain side to also become dark, but they may blend in well with the shadow over on the right.

My options in order,
1. Plan to Photoshop it and take sufficient photos to get the necessary range. (you know this will work)
2. ND - if you had one (at least you can try and see how it works on site).
3. Shoot RAW and hope for the best when you get back home. (you cannot view in camera if RAW highlight recovery will work, so you're SOL if you get home and find it didn't do the job)

PSILVERMAN
11 Sep 2010 - 6:10 PM

Or the easy way, colour control point in capture nx2 on sky both the blue and clouds. Job done!

NikonD80Shooter

Thanks guys for all your comments. I think the best way is BarrieNeil's way with 3 exposures and then blend in Photomatix and create an HDR.

NikonD80Shooter

I tried doing another shot I took but this time creating an HDR with 3 exposures. Here's what it looked like at first.

lake-moraine.jpg

Then, I brought out some detail in the shadow area and this is what it looks like now. (See below)

lake-moraine-copy.jpg

What do you think guys?

thermosoflask
11 Sep 2010 - 8:46 PM

great shot almost looks natural, or it could just be my old screen anyway well done.

NikonD80Shooter

Thanks Thermo.

TrevW
TrevW  4117 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Sep 2010 - 1:11 PM

I was going to suggest from your original post, use hdr. If the DRange exceeds what the camera can handle, (histograms) then hdr all the way for me Smile Your last posted images demonstates this wonderfully.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2010 - 5:29 PM

The 1st shot looks as if your shooting into the sun (shadow of mountain visible) which will increase shadows and hightlights - initially i'd try for another time of day. Then add the grads etc recommended above.

User_Removed
17 Sep 2010 - 7:02 PM

untitled-1.jpg

kthxbai

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.