Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How would you make things transparent?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ren
    ren  3 United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2012 - 4:14 PM

Hello all.

Lets say you have been approached by someone, who offers to sell one of your images as prints. Now because they do not know how well the print will sell, they are suggesting that instead of one off fee, they would pay you as and when print sells (lets say at the end of every month I would get a cheque. Or not). Without looking paranoid and greedy, how would you make it transparent? Or would you not go down this route?

I have had once a bad experience with this, so I would not be too keen on this again. And once you give out hi-res image, thats it: for the rest of their life they have it. Would love to hear your take on it. To prevent any future frustrations.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Oct 2012 - 4:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 4:33 PM

Firstly, I would not give someone a high res image to sell as they wish. As you have already had a bad experience then consider this very carefully. Once they have it what guarantees have they given you and how are you able to monitor the sales of the image?

Making this transparent sounds like it will be something of a nightmare.

Is this an online company?

ren
    ren  3 United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2012 - 4:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. This is a different person to the previous one. I have been contacted via my website, but they have an actual gallery, and they sell online as well.

User_Removed
    30 Oct 2012 - 5:00 PM

You could agree with them that you can make random test purchases through a third party. If that's unworkable you could estimate sales and licence the image to them on an annual basis. You could check if they were still selling it once the agreement had ended with a test purchase. They could advertise the work but you would fulfil the orders, they'd only have access to a small watermarked image.

In the end though there isn't an easy solution.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 5:43 PM

There's nearly always an element of trust involved when you sell or license photos through a third party, but I'd certainly be reluctant to get involved in anything where a sum of money didn't initially change hands. I might be tempted if there was a traceable and contactable list of photographers taking part - the internet is useful for comparing notes on such enterprises.

Last Modified By GlennH at 30 Oct 2012 - 5:45 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 6:03 PM

....the real problem obviously lies in the fact that you're selling prints. I did that through a third party once (i.e. gallery owner), and was paid a sum up front, but with the business being on the other side of the world I had no way of knowing whether or not they were sticking to the agreed print run. At least an online business is a little more open - are you really taking a bigger risk than users of Redbubble or Fine Art America? The advantage with those is that you can research their performance online.

ren
    ren  3 United Kingdom
    31 Oct 2012 - 7:18 AM

Thank you very much for all your help and advice. Looks like there is lot more to consider/do than I thought. I will probably leave it, as it is not worth the hassle. Plus it's one of my favourite images. If it was something I took years ago I would take a gamble. Once again, thank you.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.