Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Humble beginners Request,

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scruffytrafford

Does anyone know an easy way to remember aperture shutter speed and ISO and what results give what, I have got to the stage where my brain goes in to shock when i try to work out what I want and how to do it, I am getting to grips with most other things,
I think because I only have a fuji SL300 and everyone talks about f16 + and I think the most my camera does is f8, I panic and don't know to compensate for lack of camera, any suggestions welcome Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Dec 2012 - 10:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014023 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 10:13 PM

How about:
If the f number goes up, the depth of field goes up and the length of time the shutter is open goes up.
But if the shutter is open too long then camera shake becomes a problem.
Increasing the ISO shortens the time the shutter is open.

cue long discussion about what is wrong with that

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Hazelmouse
5 Dec 2012 - 10:36 PM

Also think of it like a set of scales where you put weight on one side and goods on the other. To make things balance (i.e. get right exposure) you need to add things to the weights or the scales to make them balance. The variables are aperture, shutter speed and ISO. So adjusting one thing has an impact on another.

Now you're even more confused!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 11:49 PM

OK, here goes for another analogy..

imagine there's an ideal amount of light that needs to enter the camera to get the correct exposure.

Now, imagine that amount of light is the volume of a bucket that needs that amount of water.

As said above, there are three variables which have to balance out to get the right amount - if one goes up another has to go down..

now, back to the bucket..

think of the shutter speed as how long you need to leave the tap running to fill the bucket.

Think of the aperture as the diameter of the tap the water flows from..

and think of the ISO as the water pressure in the pipe.

So, if the water pressure's higher and the tap diameter remains the same, it takes les time to fill the bucket,

or, if you want to run the tap for longer, you have to either get a smaller tap or reduce the water pressure.

Still there?? Wink

So, the three variables are aperture, shutter speed and ISO (sensitivity of the sensor). For a given exposure, theren has to be a balance between the three, so you need to know the effetc of increasing or decreasing each, then finding the right balance depending on the kind of photo you want.

SHUTTER SPEED needs to be very fast to capture moving things. If it's too slow the moving object will blur. Asl oif the shutter speed is too slow and the camera's hand-held, blur will be introduced from motion of the hands.)NB some like to useslow shutter speed to get a silky milky water effect - you love it or hate it, but if it has to be done it has to be done using a tripod.

APERTURE - a small aperture (big number) means large depth of field - ie a wide area in focus both in front of and behind the main point of focus. A wide aperture (small number) means only a narrow area of focus in front of and behind the main point of focus - typically to accentuate an object against a blurred background. and

ISO - too high and a thing called noise is introduced - used to be graininess in old film - and looks like speckling and loss of detail. Low ISO means maximum amount of detail

Phew, I got there - hope it'sof some use

Stephen

Last Modified By Tooth at 6 Dec 2012 - 4:16 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
scruffytrafford

Phew thanks, all of you and Stephen, I am gonna read your comment again in the morning after a big mug of coffee I think I am getting a small understanding here, it is just my brains ability to soak up the info ceases when it can't comprehend the mechanics... I'm told that is a female thing the same as driving a car, have never known how that works either, other than putting my foot on the accelerator. LOL WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Thanks
Nikki

canonfan46
6 Dec 2012 - 2:07 AM

Oh I reallyu feel for you scruffy, I went through the sane process when I started back with photiography, but keep on posting your questions on here and the kind menbers will keep you right.
Pretty soon you will be answering there questions......just like me........lol

canonfan46
6 Dec 2012 - 2:10 AM

apologies to all, a bit to much of the souithern comfort and nostalgia........

canonfan46
6 Dec 2012 - 2:14 AM

Quote: the sane process when I started back with photiography

a fraudian salip mor what.........................lol

canonfan46
6 Dec 2012 - 2:25 AM

this forum isent what it usaed to bwe3/......................

Jestertheclown

Have a look at this.

. . . or this.

They should help.

Meheecho
Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2012 - 8:07 AM

I have just completed a DSLR for beginners course evening classes and found it really helpful in finding my way around camera settings. At 64 the old brain takes a bit more prompting when it comes to technology!!!
Brendan's second suggestion using the camera simulator is brilliant and just the sort of thing us newbies need!
Steve

Newdevonian
6 Dec 2012 - 9:31 AM

Quote: I'm told that is a female thing the same as driving a car, have never known how that works either, other than putting my foot on the accelerator. LOL WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Thanks
Nikki

That's Ok, it's understandable. However whatever you do, don't press the middle pedalWink

jadus
jadus e2 Member 2972 forum postsjadus vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 9:56 AM

sam-0576.jpg

I found this on you tube. printed it off and put it in my camera case and checked it evey time i was uncertain about what I was doing. Then one day I forgot it, or it blew away in the wind......................

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53535 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 10:06 AM

Or look at this post from cats day before yesterday http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/manual-photography-for-early-starters-100554

though i find repetitive practice the best way of remembering.

Good luck

User_Removed
6 Dec 2012 - 11:16 AM

Quote: ... I'm told that is a female thing the same as driving a car,

Thanks
Nikki

...but at least drivers of the female persuasion will stop and ask for directions when they get lost (or so my wife tells me). That is exactly what you have done here.

Quote: though i find repetitive practice the best way of remembering.

...although different folk have different mental processes. Some find that working to understand the underlying concepts works better than rote-learning. Horses for courses.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.