Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hummingbird Moth

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
naturenut
naturenut  111801 forum posts England
25 Aug 2003 - 7:35 AM

Hi All, Last week we visited the Cotswolds
where there are huge lakes made out of the disused gravel pits and a great place for wildlife. For anyone wanting to visit the area the Keynes Country Park is a good bet.
This is divided into different areas, one is a nature reserve, one portion for windsurfing and one for boating, childrens beach and play area, something for everyone in fact ! There were plenty of damselfies and dragonflies on the wing. Also got a shot of a grebe carrying its chick on its back. I really need to change my camera though to one which I can add lenses for this type of work. I'll go back in the autumn for the tree colours and returning water birds. If I can assemble some decent shots I might upload to the photo locations.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Aug 2003 - 7:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

grahammul
grahammul  10120 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2003 - 6:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Paul of getting a pond. I did notice yesterday a large number of Dragonflies at a Lilypond I was visiting. Job for the Winter maybe.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109966 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2003 - 7:22 PM

Saw my first blue dragon fly of this year yesterday - my neighbour has a large pond so I'm hoping that they have started visiting.

grahammul
25 Aug 2003 - 7:31 PM

Thats a great idea Brian use someone elses pond.
Any more sightings of the Humming Bird Moth?
Until I can get a camera where I can set the speed myself I'll restrict myself to slower animals such as snails. Now there's an idea. There are lots of very pretty snails around.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109966 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2003 - 7:39 PM

None today but it has been grey and windy here, so they may have gone somewhere else for a change of weather.
Watch out for those slow snails - we have a completely gravel garden but the little devils can sprint over that and then pole vault about two feet into the air. Leastways, that the only way I can see they can eat my flowers without leaving trails on either the ground or flower stem.

Now, if you could get a shot of that ---! LOL

grahammul
25 Aug 2003 - 7:52 PM

Sounds like the big brown jobs that live in vegetation such as ivy or other climbers. When I catch them they jump more than two feet and it would take a really fast camera to take their picture. they usually end up very flat.
Weather been the same here (Reading) today dull and overcast.
Been very quite here at the moment Pete's probabally gone in for a quick triple bypass. Don't know how he keeps up.

scrumpypaul
25 Aug 2003 - 9:44 PM

those bloomin' jumpin' snails - they get about don't they! often if i'm at work early i see the remains of dozens that have misjudged their landings and are now mini-pavement-pizzas. can't think of any other explanation as i think most people round here are buddhists (!?! i wish!) so they wouldn't hurt a fly - unless it's the paper lad and his extra-wide moontain bike tyres.

naturenut
25 Aug 2003 - 9:57 PM

Hummingbird Hawkmoth spotted in my garden in Bath today Smile

ging
ging  10
26 Aug 2003 - 8:00 PM

Hello to all! Hope you don't mind a bl**dy american in the forums Wink but I found you on my search for an Olympus E-10 that I can afford and the topic here grabbed me.
If you'd like to see some more fantastic shots of the hummingbird moth check out www.gardenweb.com if you don't know about it already. A search for 'hummingbird moth' or 'Hemeris' ought to get you some really terrific amatuer shots. Some of these folk have infinite patience to get the photos they do; mine hand around the Abelia enough that I could get a shot but first I need the camera... the old Minolta is on it's last legs and the funds for developing are running thin. I'm betting you all understand that. Rough being a non-wealthy photographer. Smile

brian1208
26 Aug 2003 - 8:09 PM

Virginia, welcome to the forum and thanks for your input. Hope we see and hear more from you in future.

grahammul
26 Aug 2003 - 10:35 PM

Hi Virginia, the reason we are getting excited (at least I am) about the Moth is its very rare in the UK only seen in very hot summers like this year. I regulary see them on holiday in Southern Europe and spend ages watching them. Tried that web site www.gardenweb.com but its coming up not available.

grahammul
26 Aug 2003 - 10:37 PM

Hi Margaret, looking forward to some superb Moth shots.

naturenut
27 Aug 2003 - 7:34 AM

Hope so Graham, also see here for some info.

grahammul
27 Aug 2003 - 9:51 AM

Thanks very much Margaret for the very informative article. I have added the Site to my favourites list.
I used to collect butterflies and moths as a boy but never saw a HBHM. maybe because I lived too far to the West.

derrickf
derrickf  10
30 Aug 2003 - 11:25 AM

Saw a hummingbird moth this morning in my garden. I`ve never seen one before and had no idea what it was. Ilive in Luton, Bedfordshire

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.