Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hummingbird Moth

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2003 - 1:23 PM

Another pic HERE

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2003 - 1:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lc
lc  10
31 Aug 2003 - 9:01 AM

My son was telling me yesterday about sightings of the Humming bird moth over the last few days in Shipston on Stour, Warwickshire. One hour later I spotted one on a buddleia having never seen (or even heard of) one before - 7 miles south of Stratford upon Avon

zollbiphasic
1 Sep 2003 - 8:23 PM

We saw one of these moths last Sunday 31 August, it was feeding from a geranium in one of our hanging baskets, I was so astounded that I forgot to get the camera out.
I think this must be the furthest North yet, just 5 miles South of Loughborough

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110146 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2003 - 8:42 PM

Its probably the same one, come over from Europe for a whistle stop tour? LOL

nicki.payton
2 Sep 2003 - 7:07 PM

Hello I found this site after seeing what I at first though was a humming bird! (As I also have an interst in photoghraphy I have joined up & joined in with your discussion!) I rushed for my camera but by the time I returned it had gone. I too live in Reading so maybe it's the same one you've seen Graham. Maybe it will return & I can try to get a shot of it!

grahammul
grahammul  11120 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2003 - 9:23 PM

Hello Nicki,
welcome to ePHOTOzine great site for photographers.
With a bit of luck you'll find it comes back. It seems to like certain types of flower.
I live in Tilehurst just a few hundred yards from the countryside West of Reading. Could it be the same one? I imagine they have an operational radius of a mile or two.Saw my one yesterday but now I just watch it.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110146 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2003 - 9:08 AM

A new challenge - I today was able to confirm that we do have a Hornet Moth in the area (Christchurch, Dorset). It came up and introduced itself today as I was washing the car (nearly hit me in the face!). Anybody able to get a shot, lets see it. It looks like a large but fluffy hornet with a bright yellow bum. Makes even more of a buzz than the humming bird moth.

grahammul
4 Sep 2003 - 10:29 AM

Lets not mistake a real Hornet for the moth as it has more than a loud buzz.
Haven't seen one here yet Brian but I would probabally run for it if I did. Seen your HBHM recently?
Graham.

brian1208
4 Sep 2003 - 11:33 AM

If all else fails, turn it up and look for the spike on its bum?! LOL
I did check in my bee and butterfly book just to be certain.
No, my HBHM has gone, (northwards by all the latest reports)

naturenut
naturenut  111801 forum posts England
14 Sep 2003 - 4:55 PM

I see this thread has gone quiet since 4th Sept but saw the hbhmoth for the second time today in Bath, it could have been around but I haven't had much time to look. Is anyone else still seeing them ?

grahammul
14 Sep 2003 - 6:39 PM

Haven't seen the HBHM for more than a week now Margaret. My Isotoma has started to go over so perhaps my garden no longer measures up. Or perhaps its deceased.

brian1208
14 Sep 2003 - 7:21 PM

Saw it briefly last Thursday, but it didn't settle - a quick sweep around the garden then off. I think they will be heading south with the swallows!

Badger
Badger  114736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2003 - 7:52 PM

I spent thirty minutes watching one flying around some lavender this afternoon. That was in South Manchester. Didn't manage to get any shots as it was constantly flitting between the flowers.
Matt

watzie
watzie  10
25 Sep 2003 - 10:40 PM

Well folks, I'm late joining in on the HBHM issue. I saw one in our garden here in Aldershot some 2 weeks ago, but only today have managed to get confirmed as to what it was. I know little about this most fascinating creature, so any info would be gratefully received.

naturenut
naturenut  111801 forum posts England
25 Sep 2003 - 10:58 PM

See latest info : here

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.