Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I can't believe these are really paintings.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
9 Jun 2012 - 7:58 PM

Some inspirational acrylic 'paintings' .................

here

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jun 2012 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43572 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 8:04 PM

Very impressive work. Not to mention patience in spades.

Malc

rossd
9 Jun 2012 - 8:06 PM

If I could paint like that I'd ditch my camera equipment !!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 8:32 PM

I suppose its no different from photographers trying to make their photographs look like oil paintings or water colours (a lot more skill involved of course Grin )

I've seen this quality of work done by air-brush artists but never acrylics, quite amazing

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139386 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 8:40 PM

Incredible skill but............... just a tad pointless? Wink

rossd
9 Jun 2012 - 9:12 PM

Quote: .. just a tad pointless?

I suppose when you think about it, it is pointless; especially as he takes a photograph first !

glsammy
glsammy  7193 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 9:14 PM

Quote: Incredible skill but............... just a tad pointless? Wink

How can you call anything as inspirational as these pointless??

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139386 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 9:23 PM

It might as well be a photo. There would have been some point before photography was invented, but not now.

What does it inspire?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 9:33 PM

Quote: How can you call anything as inspirational as these pointless??

Inspirational? The guy has phenomenal technique but the images don't really say anything at all. For once, and possibly the only time Wink, I have to agree with CB here....

Bluetooth
Bluetooth  6 England
9 Jun 2012 - 9:41 PM

I can't get my head around the fact that they're paintings, amazing.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54173 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 10:05 PM

Absolutely brilliant. I'd love to be able to paint like this. I'd give up photography like a shot. The only reason I took up snapping was because I can't paint for toffee.

zebraboy
zebraboy  9197 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Jun 2012 - 10:08 PM

I agree Chris, they are brilliant.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
9 Jun 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm with CB on this one, paintings looking just like photographs may as well be photographs. There is no doubting the high level of skill here but its not great art.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 12:11 AM

Quote: I'm with CB on this one, paintings looking just like photographs may as well be photographs. There is no doubting the high level of skill here but its not great art.

mm that depends greatly on what you consider as art itself and how you're judging it.

I can certainly see the argument that these are great technical recreations of photos, but which do little to use the method in itself to extend out from the photo to increase the creativity. I can also see that many might consider some of the photos to be either bland/repetitive or overly done subjects - in this day and age with the internet we are truly so overwhelmed with visual messages and art that the bar is shifted very high indeed within focused interest groups.

That said I'd say that I find these indeed inspiring - maybe not in a sense of compositional art, but in a technical and skilled way - and I'd have great respect for a person able to use regular paints to derive such a photographic reality. Maybe one day this technical skill can be built upon - imagine what someone with this skill and the time and energy could do for something totally of their own minds creation

User_Removed
10 Jun 2012 - 12:16 AM

First impression Wow!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.