Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I cannot view my 60D Movies

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sandwedge
    sandwedge  8694 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:00 PM

Do I need something on my PC to allow me to see my 60D HD Movies? I can get a still image and the sound but not a running video. I use Real Player.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:23 PM

I found that happened with my computer because the processor wasnt fast enough to run 1920x1080 at either 30/24fps (upgraded now) but as a workaround i used to convert (in real player) for ipad for example, processor handled that no problem and viewing wasnt a problem

lawbert
    lawbert  71686 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:38 PM

Apple Quicktime should fix it..The 60d records in.mov files and quicktime is the best player going for that file.Wink

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:42 PM

This page of a Canon 60D review may be of interest. The paragraph just above the section outlining the 60D's video options states that H.264 compression adds the need for greater processing power.

This may be the problem you are having and could explain why you hear sound but only have a still picture. If your PC cannot finish processing one frame before the need to display the next one then you will get strange results. My Nikon D7000 records video in the same format and if I try to play it then I get very slow and jerky video and jumbled sound. This is because I only have a laptop with a 1.50GHz processor and 2GB of ram. I therefore convert a copy of my videos to a standard DVD size in MPG format. I will have to do this until I can buy a PC/Laptop capable of handling the processing power required and also add a Blu-Ray burner to my setup and the ability to play the discs on the TV.

You can try and close some of the processes in the task bar and any other windows that you may have open but depending on your system you will probably have to update your graphics card and add more internal ram if possible.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014482 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:15 PM

Also try Picassa.

Jestertheclown
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:27 PM

I thought Real Player had died with the dinosaurs.
    Have you tried 'Videolan?'
    I don't know if it will do the trick but it does seem to play just about anything.

Bren.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:44 PM

Windows Media Player will play your video files. Another option and a better one, in my opinion, is VLC player. Or, if you just want to review the video footage that you've shot and you have a decent HD capable television, just connect your camera with an HDMI cable and view them straight off of the camera. Viewing the video files this way will really show them at there best and depending on your tv, they should look far superior than when viewed on a much smaller computer monitor.

Last Modified By justin c at 31 Dec 2012 - 10:49 PM
    redsnappa
    redsnappa  111900 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:48 PM

I'm surprised Quicklime is still available for windows PC's? I cannot recall the last time I had need to use it.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 31 Dec 2012 - 10:49 PM
    sandwedge
    sandwedge  8694 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all your help. I will try your suggestions and report back. Regards, John

DerekL
    DerekL e2 Member 9100 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 7:10 PM

Here is a link to a useful freebie converter which may help you.
    http://www.converterlite.com/update?version=1.5.1

Tip: Only download the Converterlite software, ignore requests for other downloads

Last Modified By DerekL at 1 Jan 2013 - 7:17 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.