Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I cant open RAW images in Elements 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sandwedge
    sandwedge  8692 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2013 - 4:51 PM

I have used my Canon 5D mark iii for the first time and uploaded my pics. When I try to open a RAW CR2 file in Elements 8 it tells me 'it is the wrong type of file' Yet I have no problems with CR2 files from my 1D and 60D. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jun 2013 - 4:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    17 Jun 2013 - 4:56 PM

Basically if your software is significantly older than your camera you will hit this sort of problem. I think Elements 10 is probably the oldest version that is compatible with 5Diii. If you don't want to upgrade the software, there are a few workarounds available, but they tend to rely upon using 3rd-Party programmes to convert your Raw files.

sandwedge
    17 Jun 2013 - 5:07 PM

Right, Thank you. If I were to get Lightroom (which I was thinking of doing anyway) should I be able to process the images on there?

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43609 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2013 - 5:46 PM

Since you know how elements works, why not simply update to Elements 11?

Malc

sandwedge
    17 Jun 2013 - 6:04 PM

Since my earlier question, I have discovered that Lightroom is not compatible with Windows XP so Elements 11 it has to be Smile Thanks. John

mick183
    mick183  5 South Africa5 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:07 PM

It may be worth checking on the Adobe 'help' facility on their web site that the Camera Raw plug-in recognises your camera model. But first check you are using the latest versin of the ACR plug-in. As your camera is a top brand I expect Adobe will have it nailed down. I have just upgraded to PSE 11 from Elements 7 BTW. So far I have discovered fairly little it can do that v7 could not. But if you like to make use of Actions, it is much, much easier to install them with Elements 11.

Chris

sandwedge
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:18 PM

Thanks Mick. I am not sure what the ACR plugin is?? I am sure I will find a way eventually. It seems silly to upgrade for something like 60 quid if there is no other real benefit.

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England63 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:27 PM

You can download Adobe DNG converter from the Adobe web site and it's free Click here for windows version.

Simply use this utility to convert the RAW files into DNG format and open the file using Elements 8.

Trev

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    sandwedge
    19 Jun 2013 - 7:34 PM

Did that Trev and it works perfectly. Thank you for the tip? J

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.