Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I despair about sharpness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64380 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 11:41 AM

My last upload was taken with a Tamron 18-270 at 20mm, F5.6 at 1/250th, hand held with the IS on. It's as blurry as you can get.
Other shots I've taken with the lens have been fine but now and again I get pure duds. Without being able to compare lenses in like-for-like situations I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2013 - 11:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
dcash29  81905 forum posts England
31 Mar 2013 - 11:47 AM

If its not how your saving the files, i'd say its something wrong with your camera rather than the lens

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64380 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 12:07 PM

It doesn't happen every time though.

MichaelMelb_AU
31 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

Try to make the same shot with viewfinder and then using live view (if your camera has it). If live view image is sharper - you have front/back focus problem. That means lens is not matched properly to the camera. However, focusing inconsistency is not big news with Sigmas and Tamrons.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 31 Mar 2013 - 12:19 PM
LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
31 Mar 2013 - 12:19 PM

Maybe the IS hadn't fully kicked in on the dud shots ?

SlowSong
31 Mar 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Michael. I used Live View on version 1 and viewfinder on version 2. V2 looks sharper. But perhaps this was the wrong subject as there was a fair amount of focus hunting going on as the subject was rather flat.

llareggub
llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Mar 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hey there...

I tried to have a look at your portfolio to see the image and your last one uploaded was 6000 Years Old, I don't think it looks blurry, it looks blocky which says to me it is an issue with your workflow and file sizes rather than camera or lens.

Good luck Smile

SlowSong
31 Mar 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Brian. I like the sound of that a bit better than lens/camera problems. I have to admit I did have to try to bring out the detail on the log as the scene was quite contrasty so perhaps that's the answer. Or rather, it's just a naff photo in the first place. Grin

MichaelMelb_AU
31 Mar 2013 - 12:27 PM

Focus hunting is not uncommon with live view - it uses different method of focusing. It is more precise, but slow and not as sensitive, needs a contrasty subject. If your camera has no problem with its kit lens - then it's Tamron's fault, if kit lens focusing is inconsistent as well- the camera needs to be calibrated with the lens you use most often. In difficult situations - like your last image I would recommend manual focusing in live view mode with centre spot magnified. This cannot go wrong.Wink Do not worry too much anyway if you get less than 10 percent of images wrong - that's normal, nothing perfect!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 31 Mar 2013 - 12:32 PM
Graham_Rainham
31 Mar 2013 - 12:28 PM

Download a Focus Test Chart such as ISO 12233 and do some testing.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/ISO_12233-reschart.pdf

SlowSong
31 Mar 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'll have to do a lens test I think. I don't have the kit lens for the 60D as I bought body only but I've plenty of other lenses to compare. Thanks. Smile

Thanks Graham. I did try one of those test chart things but nothing seemed to come out sharp using 3 different lenses so I gave up. But I think that was probably me doing it wrong, and it's such a faff.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 31 Mar 2013 - 12:30 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
31 Mar 2013 - 12:42 PM

img-5139.jpg
Do it simple. You will need:
1) matchbox
2) a ruler
3) tripod

SlowSong
31 Mar 2013 - 12:54 PM

Quote: I would recommend manual focusing in live view mode with centre spot magnified. This cannot go wrong. Do not worry too much anyway if you get less than 10 percent of images wrong - that's normal, nothing perfect!

I've not tried that method Michael, although I have read that's a good thing to do. I keep forgetting to give it a go. When I'm out and about I rarely have a tripod with me so I guess I must expect some duffers. I will try it on some close up stuff at home though just to see. Smile And thanks for the measuring tip too.

dcash29
dcash29  81905 forum posts England
31 Mar 2013 - 12:55 PM

Quote: it looks blocky which says to me it is an issue with your workflow and file sizes rather than camera or lens.

Thats why i said
Quote: If its not how your saving the files

SlowSong
31 Mar 2013 - 1:00 PM

What do you mean by saving the files David? I save RAW files and convert them to jpgs (I don't use TIFF - don't think I need that large a file), but on this shot in particular I did a lot of mucking about so perhaps I just overdid the PS this time. The originals don't look too hot to start with though.

Think I'll finish up here though as you've all given me lots to try out and think about, and as I said, it's not many shots that go this wrong. Many thanks everyone for the tips and hints. It's good to be reminded of basics sometimes. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.