Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I despair about sharpness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 10:01 AM

After our discussion yesterday I've been playing around with the Live View modes.

In Quick Mode however, on Page 165 of the 60D manual it says you can select your AF point. I've tried over and over again, and looked on line at various videos, but I can't seem to be able to change the AF point by using the up/down keys, or any other keys/dials for that matter. All they do is take me down the menu to the other options.

Does anyone know something about this? It looks as if it should be straightforward but I just can't get it to work.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Apr 2013 - 10:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7832 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 11:29 AM

A video tutorial

Live view focus tutorial

This is for the 7D and setting up the auto focus

The 7D tutorial may have some helpful pointers because the default is set up for automatic AF points rather than being able to manually select them. It helped me.

Last Modified By Paintman at 1 Apr 2013 - 11:32 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thanks Alan, very interesting, but I am querying about changing the AF point in Quick View. It works fine in viewfinder/ordinary mode.
I have watched various videos, as I mentioned, but perhaps I'm just missing one little tiny point that's stopping me from getting in right in Quick View.
Smile

This video shows how to, but I can't. Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51MmrsKeC7U

Last Modified By SlowSong at 1 Apr 2013 - 11:43 AM
GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 3:27 PM

In Quick View mode you should be able to make the AF points selectable by hitting the 'Q' button and scrolling down using the 'multi-controller' (the 8-point wheel around the 'set' button). On my 60D LCD this is not immediately obvious because the option is hidden from view below 'Flash Exposure Comp' at the bottom of the screen.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
SlowSong
1 Apr 2013 - 5:17 PM

Glenn, you're a dreamboat. I kept scrolling but kept getting back up to the top of the menu. I never noticed that bit underneath the flash compensation message. What a stupid place to put it!!!
I love you and want your babies (in a manner of speaking). GrinGrinGrin You don't know how much time I've spend searching for this function. Smile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43667 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 7:17 PM

Quote: Glenn, you're a dreamboat.
I love you and want your babies GrinGrinGrin

Here! Steady on now! This is a family forumWinkGrinGrin

Last Modified By saltireblue at 1 Apr 2013 - 7:17 PM
SlowSong
1 Apr 2013 - 7:30 PM

Ooops, Mods on the warpath. TongueGrin

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2013 - 7:49 PM

Quote: Glenn, you're a dreamboat.
I love you and want your babies

Quote: Here! Steady on now! This is a family forum

Couldn't be more appropriate then! Grin Wink

Last Modified By janeez at 1 Apr 2013 - 7:50 PM
GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 12:47 AM

If the idea of babies becomes onerous, I'll settle for a pint! Smile

...getting swiftly back to the 60D, I'm yet to fathom the usefulness of invisible functions...

Still, it's there - might be quicker to scroll up one than down several, as previously prescribed! Blush

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10781 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2800 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 12:58 AM

Chris, looks like you figured out LiveView?

Have you considered aligning the lens with the AF system, using the AF Micro-adjustment feature? I would certainly give it a try considering your intermittent issue.

Download and display on your screen a target image; set camera on tripod and MANUALLY focus on the centre of the target; then carefully slide the AF switch to AF, making sure the centre point is selected previously, and half press the shutter while closely watching the lens for any focus movement. If it budges at all, you need to do that micro adjustment for this lens.

Practice safe photography...

W

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 8:59 AM

Bearing in mind that the micro adjust works only for that specific focal length on a zoom lens - if you adjust for one focal length you risk throwing all other focal lengths out of alignment. I have read lord knows how many posts about people using micro adjust only to realise later that either it made little if any difference, or the necessary compromises were better with the original settings.

SlowSong
2 Apr 2013 - 9:06 AM

I don't think the 60D has a micro adjustment feature, Willie. I've heard mention of it before.

And relax Glenn, I've just realised you've got plenty in the sprog department already so I won't burden you with any more. Wink
But seriously, I'd been looking everywhere for that flamin' setting ever since I got the camera and found no mention of it being hidden like that anywhere. Now I can see it, I'll start using the live view more. Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 9:13 AM

Quote: Bearing in mind that the micro adjust works only for that specific focal length on a zoom lens - if.

With any zoom lens the inaccuracies with AF will be more pronounced at the longer end and widest aperture, and minimum focusing distance as there is a smaller DOF tolerance, so when I had a similar problem I calibrated at the long end. I placed a tape measure on a table then with some bluetac placed a matchstick adjacent to a mark on the tape (say 10mm) then zoomed in wide open and focused on the matchstick.

(Don't have a patterned BG as in the example earlier in the thread as this can mislead the AF, and don't use the 45degree method some may mention, as you can't be sure which line the AF has latched on to.)

If its sharper at say 9 it's front focusing, at 11 back. Imade adjustments accordingly.

Don't view the results on the camera back, but on screen and enlarge. So if possible tether to a laptop as it makes it much easier.

SlowSong
2 Apr 2013 - 9:53 AM

I'll try that Nick, but it's not something I could readily put to use even if there is an anomaly as I usually take street, candid, documentary shots which don't need as much fine tuning as say a macro, and nor would I have the time to make micro adjustments. I'll have a look just out of interest though. It's good to have the knowledge even if you don't use it. Smile

PS: Just noticed you're on the Critique Team. I'll have to watch what I say about your work in future. Wink Grin

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10781 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2800 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 3:03 PM

Youre right, it doesnt have micro. Back to Canon with the camera and lens, - they can match them accurately.

W

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.