Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I don't want to do weddings.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 4:34 PM

If you're not comfortable don't do it........

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Oct 2012 - 4:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 4:38 PM

Wedding photography is a massive job. This is a one off photography shoot and if you don't get it right, you cannot just trot back to do it again like a landscape shot. To do this sort of work, you should go with a pro photographer and accompany him/her on a few occasions to see how they go about doing it. If you feel happy that you have the right equipment and are confident that you can carry out the photography to a high standard, go for it. But, you have no real interest in it, so don't let anyone bully you into doing it. If they only want to spent a couple of hundred pounds, just tell them your fee is 1500. That will soon put them off. If they say yes, you will have enough money to go out and buy a decent camera! Stick to your guns and take on jobs you are comfortable with.
Stephen

ourdayphotos
7 Oct 2012 - 5:00 PM

Fishnet it's obvious that you don't want to do wedding work, so don't. Simple.

Bevy
Bevy  2 England
7 Oct 2012 - 5:02 PM

Quote: Fishnet it's obvious that you don't want to do wedding work, so don't. Simple.

She is not asking for advice, she has already decided not to, she is just asking if any one else feels the same Smile

lemmy
lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 - 5:06 PM

Quote: If you were, then you'd be wrong on all 3 counts.

I wasn't. I've always been a grafter and being often self-employed found it against my nature to turn down anything that earns me money. When I was made redundant from one job I worked as a school caretaker. I hated each and every moment of it but it brought in dosh. Like I said, if you have no means of getting money other than working, you don't have a choice.

Actually, you do have to be paranoid to read what you did into my post. What legally says is that provided it is not against the law I will earn money any way I can. Since I could not claim benefits and my family had no money, I had no option but to accept work whether I enjoyed it or not. The inference you seem to make simply isn't there.

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 5:07 PM

Just stick to your gut feelings it's just not worth it if it stresses you out to that extentSad spend the time with your kids and be happyWink x BTW your PF is fantastic you are quite an accomplished photographer Smile

Rod

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 5:26 PM

Thanks Rod, just wish I could actually ear money photographing the things I'm comfortable with! (But then, don't we all Wink )

Fishnet
7 Oct 2012 - 5:28 PM

Lemmy, I assume you weren't a single parent?? If I was a single person with no children, I'd take cleaning jobs too, I did before I was married, but social services are weird about you leaving your 7 yr old home alone....

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 5:40 PM

Hi Anna, Just sent you a PM. Please read and let me know.
Hope you're well. Smile

Fishnet
7 Oct 2012 - 5:53 PM

How weird, was thinking about you earlier!
Just cooking dinner at the mo but will get back to you later tonight Smile

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 5:56 PM

As Cathy says...

Quote: If you're not comfortable don't do it........

I totally agree.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 5:59 PM

Quote: after the hours I put in editing photos at my kids expense basically, because I was holed up doing that every minute I had and was a grump to be around, I didn't actually make much money from it!

To be honest, that sounds like where the problem is. You are doing something you don't like and seeing very little reward for all that hassle and pain.
I often get asked to create websites for people, as I do it all day I am not particularly interested in doing it in my own time.
So if someone asks me to create a website I usually give them a pretty high quote, If they really want me to do it I can easily equate the amount of work I am doing with what I can spend the money on.

I was talking to the bloke who came to unblock my drains & he works on the same principle (and yes it was F**** expensive!).

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:05 PM

Next time save yourself some money and get a small child with a bucket and spade to clear it for you.....

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123987 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:08 PM

Whatever your particular circumstances are I think Fishnet that you are quite right to trust in your instincts and turn away wedding photography if you really feel in your heart that you are not comfortable with them; to be really successful you have to want to want to photograph weddings and many people get a real buzz and thrill out of weddings likewise there are just as many if not more people who wouldn't go near a wedding as a photographer.

Good luck, Peter.

Last Modified By peterjones at 7 Oct 2012 - 6:08 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 - 6:18 PM

Quote: I assume you weren't a single parent??

No, though with my work my wife often thought she was Sad

But surely the situation is answered for you - if you cannot do it because of looking after the children then wanting to do it or not doesn't really arise. Can friends and family not understand that?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.