Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I don't want to do weddings.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:53 PM

I answered my situation, right at the beginning, I said I had decided not to do it, I'm not asking if I should or shouldn't, the child care issue is just a common theme that runs through every aspect of my life, being a widow isn't the same as being divorced, there's no ex to look after the kids at weekends and during school holidays, so that wasn't the deciding factor, the fact I hate weddings was.

As for friends and family understanding? No, is the simple answer to that, well friends anyway, I don't have family near me so they aren't in the equation.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Oct 2012 - 6:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:54 PM

Put your scary face on (all mums have them) and tell them you only trash weddings, most will run a mile Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMx9d_YV3wU

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 7 Oct 2012 - 6:55 PM
Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
7 Oct 2012 - 7:34 PM

For all those that want to opt out of weddings. Just ask your clients to E-mail me at imaganation-graham@hotmail .co.uk

Cheers folks

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 7:43 PM

TBF, I understand why you don't want to do it, but I also understand what your family and friends said.
A lot of us hate what we do as day job, and still we have to do it to survive/live.

lemmy
lemmy  71866 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 - 9:35 PM

I can't understand why you posted at all. If you don't want to do weddings then don't. Given that many photographers would be only too happy to take them on why not just pass them on?

I can't think of anything worse at a wedding than having anyone there who doesn't want to be, let alone someone there in a professonal capacity. Imagine ordering a wedding cake from someone who doesn't want to make it.

Fishnet
7 Oct 2012 - 9:52 PM

Lemmy, have you actually read my original post?

Bevy
Bevy  1 England
7 Oct 2012 - 10:08 PM

Quote: I can't understand why you posted at all. If you don't want to do weddings then don't. Given that many photographers would be only too happy to take them on why not just pass them on?

I can't think of anything worse at a wedding than having anyone there who doesn't want to be, let alone someone there in a professonal capacity. Imagine ordering a wedding cake from someone who doesn't want to make it.

I'm new on here (although not to photography forums) and to be honest I am shocked at the aggressiveness displayed here, especially as you quite clearly have not read Fishnets post fully before you posted. I've read hundred of threads where someone with a point n shoot comes on a forum and asks for tips on doing a wedding, and quite rightly they get shot out of the water, but Fishnet wasn't saying that..she was asking if anyone else felt the same as she did!
Its a forum, its what its for, and in your rush to put someone down you have come over very rude.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 10:27 PM

Respect and compassion

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 10:39 PM

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do choose to do. In your situation, all you can do is to indulge your hobby (and perhaps make whatever money you can from it) whenever you can. As your children grow, and spend more time at school and other places, your opportunities will increase. If you wish to, you can be ready to make the most of the opportunities when they arise. Just don't sell yourself short by undercharging because you might not think you're good enough at it. Not enjoying something might give you that impression, but not liking it doesn't mean you can't do it well enough.

Keep practicing anyway!

Nick

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 10:43 PM

Anna, don't take too much notice of Lemmy. He's done similar to me. Both feet in first, engage brain much later, if at all.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 10:51 PM

You Know Anna I think it is really refreshing to have someone on here actually saying "I don't want to do weddings!"

I completely get what you have said in your original post and for anyone to question that, is, quite frankly, absurd. You are without doubt, a very talented photographer and your portrait images are stunning. Weddings are all about crowd control most of the time which could turn the hardiest photographer into a gibbering wreck.

It does make me smile to read some of the posts on here as so many threads on EPZ are about wedding photography and they get shot down in flames for daring to say they want to get started! You don't want to but seem to be getting the same replies!

Life has dealt you a pretty crappy blow but keep strong and stick it out. The biggest problem with families are that they truly believe your life could instantly be made better if only you did this, that or the other. They don't always comprehend that what they think is the best thing for you really isn't.

Jane
x

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 11:01 PM

Anna, you have my number on my PM to you.
Please give me a call tomorrow evening and let's have a chat about other, easier ways to make a little bit of dosh.

I respect your decision but you don't need all this negativity being thrown at you on here.
Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Oct 2012 - 11:02 PM
Fishnet
7 Oct 2012 - 11:25 PM

Jane, I actually thought it would make a nice change to start a topic based on "I don't want to do weddings" so all of us that don't can have a chat about why, rather than the usual "I want to do weddings" and everyone getting in a paddy, I reckon it's just the word 'wedding' appearing on the forum that does it lol

Gerry, will do Smile

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 11:36 PM

Quote: I actually thought it would make a nice change to start a topic based on "I don't want to do weddings"

That's exactly why I took a peek at your post. Smile

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 12:12 AM

To be fair a lot of people put off wedding work , not because they dont like or want to do it , but because they cant or dont feel they can do it.

I do Landscapes and love them , theyre easy , have done macro, sports and family portraits and love them too , but weddings are what makes us a living and we are well practised at and love those too. Weddings are all about experience and people skills and dealing with

The Vicar who doesnt want you to take photos
The organiser who wants to stop you messing their venue up with confetti and feed you leftovers
The bloke whos drunk annoying you for hours
The bride and groom who dont like posing
The children who wont look at the camera
The 30 Group shots to do in the rain
The getting up at 6am and driving 2 hours to the venue
The being on your feet and constantly alert for 12 hours non stop
The 30 hours + of editing the photos

but then on the other hand theres the

Happiness of a couple who love your photos
Being out in the fresh air and not in an office
Visiting historic and beautiful building
Challening your photographic skills
Being part of something that lasts forever and producing photos that will be seen for generations to come
Enough financial gain to live from though not overly comfortably

These are but a few of the ups and downs but we love what we do regardless and our experience helps us through those harder parts ... but i think the people skills that make a good wedding tog come from outside of the photography arena and you either have them or dont ..

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.