Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I don't want to do weddings.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 2:33 PM

Thanks Andy, that's good advice!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 2:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
20 Nov 2012 - 11:17 PM

Isn't wedding photography a type of portrait photography? I've done a few public gathering events and enjoyed them but they were informal affairs. If you love photography enough to shed the glamour aspect, dispense with the sometime possibility of reflected glory associated with equipment about your person and get down to the business of being a professional, weddings shouldn't be a problem. Be confident of your ability, do your homework, know by heart the procedures before, during and after a wedding and you'll be able to add what could be a lucrative string to your income bow. Regarding being pushed about by guests - don't get into heated conversations with them. Sort it beforehand with the wedding organisers. Let them do the arguing on your behalf...

JohnDJ
JohnDJ  7 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 - 9:01 PM

Don't do it - and ignore any negative comments. You're very sensible. I've spent all my working life taking photographs - last 30+ years freelancing - and always resisted the invitation to shoot weddings. Unless your suited it's just not on. Apart from the hassles it's fraught with danger for the inexperienced. Some years ago, a neighbour of mine decided that he was going to be wedding photographer. No experience and precious little knowledge of photography. Unbelievable but he was up for it. He bought a second hand camera and launched his new career via yellow pages and the support of misguided friends. I was horrified but kept out of it. All went reasonably well for the first few weddings, although having seen his output I suspect his luck was down to the bride and groom who were not very discerning. He then hit the buffers big time. All shots up to the actual service were sharp but after that they were out of focus. The first I knew was a knock on the door and a plea for help. He was panic stricken. The groom had threatened to sue unless he put things right. Photoshop and some help from the lab i used (going back to the days of film) helped but in reality you can't do much to rescue out of focus shots. Groom was threatening to bring family over again from US and South Africa at the photographers expense. He could see the cost climbing and could do little about it. In the end, it was a camera fault - never had it serviced or checked when he bought it. My comment that it was agood job he had insurance didn't help as he didn't. By some miracle he managed to escape by giving everything away for free. Perhaps in the end, the irate groom was bluffing but it certainly resulted in some sleepless nights and a rapid departure from wedding photography. Now, I'm sure you're not as naive as this guy but it does highlight the potential problems that can quickly turn into a nightmare.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014749 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 11:09 PM

I "do" do weddings, but only a few, from recommendations

and like you Anna, everyone assumes I must do weddings constantly because that's all you do when you're a photographer.

I quite enjoy shooting them

I'm good at them - fast, tight control, get everyone involved, talk endless **** to the guests, crap jokes, try new things etc. etc. and the results have always been way beyond the couple's expectations...

but I don't want to be a "wedding photographer" - the thought of editing wedding photos week in, week out, makes me shudder - like being in a proper job again...

I've not got any booked for 2013 actually... maybe a few would be handy .

but yeah - everyone does assume that you must do weddings... its a bit like saying everyone in IT is a website designer....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.