Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I have a fly in my camera!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tony_M
    Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
    4 Sep 2005 - 1:52 PM

In the middle of an afternoon's photography I set up the camera and looked though the viewfinder, only to see a small fly wandering around on the inside of the focusing screen! That is, in-between the focusing screen and the pentaprism. I think it's about 2-3mm long. Goodness knows how it got in there. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to remove it?

Now the camera (Canon 350D) is at home I can't see the fly anymore, but of course I don't know where it is :-( and I'm not comfortable with the idea it might get fried onto the sensor next time I use the camera!

Any suggestions gladly received...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Sep 2005 - 1:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    4 Sep 2005 - 2:09 PM

Put a spider in to eat the fly? Wink

covey
    covey  91672 forum posts Ireland
    4 Sep 2005 - 2:12 PM

You'll end up with a horse I tell you!

T.

sillyconguru
    4 Sep 2005 - 3:45 PM

Bugs in viewfinders are common. I've frozen them in the past (with a film camera). I tapped the pentaprism until the bugs weren't visible, placed the camera in the freezer (in a plastic bag) overnight, then slowly brought it back up to room temperature. The bugs never re-appeared.

If the screen is removable, a blast of air can shift them sometimes (but they can be by the eyepiece, and difficult to shift).

Tony_M
    4 Sep 2005 - 7:49 PM

Hmmm. Not sure I want a spiders web in there as well... or a horse! I suppose I ought to learn whether the screen is removable. Thanks for the freezing suggestion, though I think I'll hold back on that for now and see if I can shift it with a blower brush.

VinceJones
    4 Sep 2005 - 8:30 PM

Tom, before you go ahead & try to clean it can I ask if the Camera is still under warrantee. If so, am I right to say that all new cameras get a free sensor cleaning service. If this is the case just state to who cleans it that you saw a largish object move about in the viewfinder area, let them find it & clean it out. Worth a try isn't it & it should be free.

Hope the above is of help, as for putting a spider in there (bloody typical from an an epz member, made me choke on me coffee laughing.

Vince

dave thelens
    4 Sep 2005 - 9:23 PM

perhaps its a shutterbug !!!!

mostly_harmless

Be careful with this one... as recounted in a post about a year ago, I tried removing a wee beastie from the focusing screen by brushing it off, and it basically exploded into a smear of insectoid goo. This then led to a series of ill-advised screen cleaning attempts on my part, the upshot of which was that I nearly ruined the focusing screen. Although everything still works ok, I can even now see a slight 'discoluration' through the viewfinder if I'm shooting something with a lot of sky in it.

So, the moral is, gently gently catchy fly.

Tony_M
    5 Sep 2005 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the warning. I am aware that focusing screens are easily scratched and are difficult to clean, so I'll be careful doing anything near it. I'm not sure about a free sensor cleaning for all new cameras - I've not heard that before, but I suppose I could ask.

I was considering putting some double-sided sticky tape inside the body cap to trap dust similar to the StikCap. Perhaps it'll catch a fly too?

stuwhitt
    stuwhitt  91357 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Sep 2005 - 3:30 AM

Quote: I was considering putting some double-sided sticky tape inside the body cap to trap dust similar to the StikCap. Perhaps it'll catch a fly too?

Or maybe a piece of fly paper

Stu

ahollowa
    ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
    5 Sep 2005 - 5:14 AM

Not sure about a 350D but both my D30 and 10D have removable focus screens. These caost about a fiver so I don't bother trying to clean them as this is bl@@&y hard. Just replace them. There are two little spring clips in the top of the mirror box. unclip and it will drop out.

cheers

Al.

exclusive
    exclusive  9579 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Sep 2005 - 9:13 AM

ive dismantled my Canon D30 and 300V focusing screens to give em a clean, no problem, luckily im pretty good with my hands and feeling as i couldn't see exactly what i was doing.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.