Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I have a fly in my camera!

Tony_M 10 342 England
4 Sep 2005 1:52PM
In the middle of an afternoon's photography I set up the camera and looked though the viewfinder, only to see a small fly wandering around on the inside of the focusing screen! That is, in-between the focusing screen and the pentaprism. I think it's about 2-3mm long. Goodness knows how it got in there. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to remove it?

Now the camera (Canon 350D) is at home I can't see the fly anymore, but of course I don't know where it is :-( and I'm not comfortable with the idea it might get fried onto the sensor next time I use the camera!

Any suggestions gladly received...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 1.4k United Kingdom
4 Sep 2005 2:09PM
Put a spider in to eat the fly? Wink
covey 10 1.7k Ireland
4 Sep 2005 2:12PM
You'll end up with a horse I tell you!

T.
sillyconguru 10 4.4k
4 Sep 2005 3:45PM
Bugs in viewfinders are common. I've frozen them in the past (with a film camera). I tapped the pentaprism until the bugs weren't visible, placed the camera in the freezer (in a plastic bag) overnight, then slowly brought it back up to room temperature. The bugs never re-appeared.

If the screen is removable, a blast of air can shift them sometimes (but they can be by the eyepiece, and difficult to shift).
Tony_M 10 342 England
4 Sep 2005 7:49PM
Hmmm. Not sure I want a spiders web in there as well... or a horse! I suppose I ought to learn whether the screen is removable. Thanks for the freezing suggestion, though I think I'll hold back on that for now and see if I can shift it with a blower brush.
4 Sep 2005 8:30PM
Tom, before you go ahead & try to clean it can I ask if the Camera is still under warrantee. If so, am I right to say that all new cameras get a free sensor cleaning service. If this is the case just state to who cleans it that you saw a largish object move about in the viewfinder area, let them find it & clean it out. Worth a try isn't it & it should be free.

Hope the above is of help, as for putting a spider in there (bloody typical from an an epz member, made me choke on me coffee laughing.

Vince
dave thelens 11 936 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2005 9:23PM
perhaps its a shutterbug !!!!
5 Sep 2005 12:00AM
Be careful with this one... as recounted in a post about a year ago, I tried removing a wee beastie from the focusing screen by brushing it off, and it basically exploded into a smear of insectoid goo. This then led to a series of ill-advised screen cleaning attempts on my part, the upshot of which was that I nearly ruined the focusing screen. Although everything still works ok, I can even now see a slight 'discoluration' through the viewfinder if I'm shooting something with a lot of sky in it.

So, the moral is, gently gently catchy fly.
Tony_M 10 342 England
5 Sep 2005 12:25AM
Thanks for the warning. I am aware that focusing screens are easily scratched and are difficult to clean, so I'll be careful doing anything near it. I'm not sure about a free sensor cleaning for all new cameras - I've not heard that before, but I suppose I could ask.

I was considering putting some double-sided sticky tape inside the body cap to trap dust similar to the StikCap . Perhaps it'll catch a fly too?
stuwhitt 10 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 3:30AM

Quote:I was considering putting some double-sided sticky tape inside the body cap to trap dust similar to the StikCap. Perhaps it'll catch a fly too?

Or maybe a piece of fly paper

Stu
ahollowa 10 1.1k England
5 Sep 2005 5:14AM
Not sure about a 350D but both my D30 and 10D have removable focus screens. These caost about a fiver so I don't bother trying to clean them as this is bl@@&y hard. Just replace them. There are two little spring clips in the top of the mirror box. unclip and it will drop out.

cheers

Al.
exclusive 10 579 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 9:13AM
ive dismantled my Canon D30 and 300V focusing screens to give em a clean, no problem, luckily im pretty good with my hands and feeling as i couldn't see exactly what i was doing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.