Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I have a Nikon D90 and I want a good Macro lens capable of seeing the eyelashes o...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    perkyjude
    perkyjude  346 forum posts England11 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2011 - 4:43 PM

I do have the Tamron 70- 300mm lens with macro setting but I still can't get close enough for lots of detail. Cost is obviously a consideration however I am open to all recommendations and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jul 2011 - 4:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6704 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2011 - 6:17 PM

A Sigma 150mm macro lens would probably suit but if that's over your budget you could look at the 105mm version, which is a good big cheaper.

perkyjude
    22 Jul 2011 - 6:46 PM

Would that get me close enough to see the detail on insects, like those photos people take of spiders faces and flies eyes etc rather than the general whole body shot?

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62505 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    22 Jul 2011 - 8:34 PM

There is no AF macro lens that gets you closer than a 1.5 inch wide subject on 24x36 format, or 1 inch wide on Nikon DX format.
    Advanced manual focus techniques and perhaps bellows are needed to get close up's of flies eyes.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2011 - 8:35 PM

Any 1:1 macro lens is, in theory capable of things like that, but you'll find that a 105 or 90mm lens is ideal for use with extension tubes, which will get you close enough to see individual lenses within a compound eye. Extension tubes become impractical for longer lenses, because they rob you of light and need longer shutter speeds.

The Tamron 90mm is a beauty of a lens, under 300, and works well with tubes. I used that combination for this shot. You could get one of these and a set of automatic extension tubes for less than the cost of a canon or nikon macro lens.

perkyjude
    23 Jul 2011 - 2:39 PM

Pardon my ignorance but my Tamron lens says 1:2 - does that mean that 1:1 is closer still?

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jul 2011 - 3:04 PM

yes. Twice as big. 1:1 is life size, 1:2 is half life size (and that's the size it's reproduced on the sensor; in reality the prints can be many times larger indeed)

perkyjude
    23 Jul 2011 - 4:04 PM

Okay - thankyou. Gosh better get saving up again. I think I may have to sell some lenses to fund this...lol, or I will need a mule to carry my kit.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    23 Jul 2011 - 6:11 PM

For insects a 60mm lens is not ideal, as you are a bit too close, which scares them, and shades light. A ~100mm lens is better. The Tamron 90mm macro lens is nice, and well priced. It'll take you to 1:1, and you could stick on a TC14A to go beyond. Mine worked surprisingly well with a TC14A, and it preserves infinity focus. Or stick on a decent quality diopter. But your technique will have to be very good at 1:1 and beyond!!!!!!

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    23 Jul 2011 - 6:12 PM

I'd better add that you can also use tubes to go beyond 1:1, since someone will pick me up on that.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.