Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I have just uninstalled CS3 - Radical or what, discuss.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

After much consideration I have removed Photoshop CS3 from my computer. I have Lightroom and an antique version of Elements (v4 - don't laugh). The more I use LR the more I love it, being a bit of a purist at heart I love its global adjustment facilities. I have neither got to grips with PS or enjoyed all its fiddly local adjustments and faffing about, if I need that now and then Elements is sufficient for my needs. My PC is in the winter of its life now as well, so taking some of the burden off its back may well just help other things run that little bit smoother.

Some may say I am mad some may support me but when I looked at the last time I used it I thought if Gok Wan was an image editing guru he would have me chuck it out!

What are others thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 Mar 2013 - 11:59 PM

Local adjustments rock, but LR does those too?

SosFM
3 Mar 2013 - 12:37 AM

Yes I know.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 1:39 AM

I use CS6 and combined with Camera Raw it really is exceptional. I tried LR and couldn't get on with it at all. Photoshop is my work horse and I would be lost without it. It did take nearly 12 months to really start to get to grips with it though. Mainly because I tend to learn through trial and error.

My latest problem is nothing to do with PS but how the heck do I add a 3rd party flash slideshow to Webplus X6? I've given up on that one for the time being!

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6527 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have tried LR but feel so much more comfortable in CS6, it's what you are used too, its less expensive if you can use LR and get the results you are happy with and after all you can buy a damn good computer for the price of CS6.

SosFM
3 Mar 2013 - 10:22 AM

Gary, what sort of computer? I have a different thread running where I am told that my Dell Windows XP is antiquated and I should replace it. What do you suggest I look at?

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 10:36 AM

I love LR , and i have learned/learning through trial and error ! I was going to get PS but since i have become slightly more proficient with LR don't see the point.Grin

Rod

Dave_Canon
3 Mar 2013 - 11:00 AM

Most of my editing, global and local is done in LR4.3 but I still use Photoshop for few things. However, most of the things I use in PS CS6, I could find in Elements so I can understand that there is no longer the same need to own PS if you have LR combined with Elements.

Dave

Railcam
Railcam  7471 forum posts Scotland
3 Mar 2013 - 11:40 AM

I find that LR4 can accommodate 95% of my processing (the adjustment brush is superb for local adjustment) and I have Elements 11 for serious cloning and layers. I find LR so quick to do adjustments.

Keith

derekd
derekd  8
3 Mar 2013 - 11:59 AM

Those who think they are using ancient programs don't worry, because I still use PS7 which must be very old and it does everything I want my computer caner with elements 9 installed which is not bad, but I am used to ps7. Interestingly when I ordered my computer which is windows 7 and now 18 months old I was told by adobe and micro soft that PS7 would not install, well they were both wrong it works perfectly

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73318 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 2:51 PM

Quote: Gary, what sort of computer? I have a different thread running where I am told that my Dell Windows XP is antiquated and I should replace it. What do you suggest I look at?

I think the problem is that LR4 doesn't run on Windows XP, so the OS needs to be Win7. If your computer can run win7 then just update your OS.

Jestertheclown

Quote: I think the problem is that LR4 doesn't run on Windows XP, so the OS needs to be Win7. If your computer can run win7 then just update your OS.

I've just updated my ageing Dell from XP, which was working perfectly, to Windows 8 which has turned out to be a huge improvement. (I'd disregard the other thread on the subject.)
It's given it a new lease of life.
With regard to Lightroom 4, I tried that as soon as I was able but after a couple of weeks, I went back to Lightroom 3 as I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think it does anything that I can't already do elsewhere.
I'm not sure that removing CS3 is that radical. It's old now and Elements 11, for example, might be a realistic replacement for it.
I think it would be a lot more radical if you were getting shot of CS5 or 6.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 3:39 PM

Sad

Quote: I went back to Lightroom 3 as I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I think you should have persevered with LR 4 for a bit longer Wink
The Basic panel in the develop module is far superior to that in LR3 and I believe for those that know how to use it the separate RGB channels for curve adjustments is an useful addition to the feature set.
The corrections for Chromatic Aberration that appeared first in LR 4.1 were also a major improvement, especially as they can be further tweaked with the local brush adjustments using Defringe.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315243 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 3:44 PM

Quote: Gary, what sort of computer? I have a different thread running where I am told that my Dell Windows XP is antiquated and I should replace it. What do you suggest I look at?

People on here are very quick to help you spend your money, if XP does what you need, why upgrade.

Sure the latest version of LR no longer works with XP machines but there`s plenty of other software out there.

Jestertheclown

Quote: I think you should have persevered with LR 4 for a bit longer Wink

Perhaps but I wasn't particularly impressed.
That basic panel, although slightly different, certainly wouldn't tempt me to buy it.
I can adjust separate RGB channels using CS6 (or sometimes, 5), which I invariably use after LR.
I didn't use the CA removal tool although as I didn't need to but there is one in CS as well, of course.
I suppose it all depends on what you're used to.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.