Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I just can't choose?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    timothyprobett
    29 Oct 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hey guys, ive only got a 18-55 lense right now and i need a new one, I have been debating between the discontinued Nikon 70-210mm D and the 55-200mm.

I hear the 70-210 has a closer focal length for macros and a fast auto focus, but it is a bit more expensive and hard to come by. on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.
    What do you guys think? And where is a good place to get them?

Also i'm looking for a bag for the new lenses and my current stuff, i want to get a 3n1 series, but what are the differences between them and which is ideal?. eg 3n1-10, 3n1-20 and 3n1-30.

Much appreciated everyone.

Tim☺

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Oct 2009 - 11:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2009 - 12:29 PM

have a look at the Nikkor 70-300 Vr and i think it will give you everything you need, including close focusing at a fair price. they are optically really excellent and have metal mounts etc. i believe they are still under 400. the version without vr is not the same optics and is not built as well.

another great lens i wouldnt be without is the Sigma 18-200 os.
    Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 29 Oct 2009 - 12:31 PM
    dathersmith
    29 Oct 2009 - 1:17 PM

Hi Tim, my son uses the Nikkor 70-300 VR and it is a great lens. Also if you are looking for the Kata 3N1-20 I have one for sale, brand new and still in the bag. Let me know if you're interested.

Darren.

timothyprobett
    30 Oct 2009 - 4:57 AM

Okay, i looked into it, and the 70-210 aufofocus doesnt work with my d60, and the 70-300 is what i want now, but the autofocus also doesn't work... does that mean i have to get the 55-200mm? i really want to get the 70-300, but how do i get this to work?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

timothyprobett
    30 Oct 2009 - 5:07 AM

acualy, found another, is this one suitable for a Nikon d60? and would this lens and my current lens be a good couple? or should i get a macro?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm

timothyprobett
    30 Oct 2009 - 5:18 AM

better yet, can someone give me a link to a lens that will work with my D60 that is 70-300mm with aufofocus and vibration controll

Tim☺

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 7:58 AM

Here!

timothyprobett
    30 Oct 2009 - 9:32 AM

Awsome thank you, i didn't realise the cool looking one was the one i need, now i just need to scrape up 500 usd off the ground Smile

Cheers

Tim☺

zobo81
    zobo81  4
    30 Oct 2009 - 4:21 PM

With your D60 it doesn't have a built in motor for autofocus so you need lenses which have this in. Sigma and Tamron both do a very good range of Nikon fit lenses with built in motor drives and at reasonable prices too. Have a look on the Mifsuds website - they're always really helpful, good prices and keep a good range in stock too.

timothyprobett
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:57 PM

Quote: With your D60 it doesn't have a built in motor for autofocus so you need lenses which have this in. Sigma and Tamron both do a very good range of Nikon fit lenses with built in motor drives and at reasonable prices too. Have a look on the Mifsuds website - they're always really helpful, good prices and keep a good range in stock too.

kk will do

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 10:18 PM

Quote:
    on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.

I'm using the 55-200 and agree that the auto focus is slow, but otherwise a good lens.

Have you tried Grays of Westminster?

timothyprobett
    31 Oct 2009 - 12:30 AM

Quote: Quote:
    on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.
    I'm using the 55-200 and agree that the auto focus is slow, but otherwise a good lens.

Have you tried Grays of Westminster?

havnt before, but the prices are to high, im just gonna have to buy it off ebay.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014516 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2009 - 4:41 AM

The VR might seem like a handy thing right now, but it won't replace a tripod, or some other method of steadying the lens. The 70-300mm ED Nikkor was a valued lens by John Shaw, who teaches the pros. There is also the G version, of which the only significant difference is that it has a plastic mount; while the ED version had a metal mount. I had the ED version for four years, and it is a workhorse. I'm looking on ebay for the ED version, and I would put an excellent one, used, at $150.00. I would not refuse a G model, there are some fine shots on here with it; motorsport, airshow, birds, wildlife. If you get one, the Nikon 62mm 5T close-up dioptre gives great results for macro, attaches like a filter, but Nikon stopped making them last year or so, and the price has doubled on Ebay, about $120.00, worth it though, and with step-up rings, can be used on any lens size below 62mm. Don't get stuck on VR, like me and many more, you will eventually learn the value of a tripod. I had the Nikon VR 80-400mm for four years, and took the tripod mount off the day I got it; I swore by VR, until I put the Tripod mount back on and started using the lens properly. I didn't use the VR very much in the last year I had the lens.

timothyprobett
    31 Oct 2009 - 9:54 AM

Quote: The VR might seem like a handy thing right now, but it won't replace a tripod, or some other method of steadying the lens. The 70-300mm ED Nikkor was a valued lens by John Shaw, who teaches the pros. There is also the G version, of which the only significant difference is that it has a plastic mount; while the ED version had a metal mount. I had the ED version for four years, and it is a workhorse. I'm looking on ebay for the ED version, and I would put an excellent one, used, at $150.00. I would not refuse a G model, there are some fine shots on here with it; motorsport, airshow, birds, wildlife. If you get one, the Nikon 62mm 5T close-up dioptre gives great results for macro, attaches like a filter, but Nikon stopped making them last year or so, and the price has doubled on Ebay, about $120.00, worth it though, and with step-up rings, can be used on any lens size below 62mm. Don't get stuck on VR, like me and many more, you will eventually learn the value of a tripod. I had the Nikon VR 80-400mm for four years, and took the tripod mount off the day I got it; I swore by VR, until I put the Tripod mount back on and started using the lens properly. I didn't use the VR very much in the last year I had the lens.

Thank you for your info, i don't want the lens for the vr, i could care less. i mearly refer to the lens as 70-300mm vr because it is the only 70-300 lens that has a silent wave motor and my D60 doesn't have any motor. Plus it has m/a - m focusing, manual override, how cool is that?! p.s. i could call it the f/4.5-5.6.

Also did you mean you were selling a AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED?

Cheers

Tim☺

Last Modified By timothyprobett at 31 Oct 2009 - 9:57 AM
    StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014516 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2009 - 7:13 PM

No Tim, I sold it last year, now Im shopping for one.

Cheers,
    Denny

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.