Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

I just can't choose?!

29 Oct 2009 11:30AM
Hey guys, ive only got a 18-55 lense right now and i need a new one, I have been debating between the discontinued Nikon 70-210mm D and the 55-200mm.

I hear the 70-210 has a closer focal length for macros and a fast auto focus, but it is a bit more expensive and hard to come by. on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.
What do you guys think? And where is a good place to get them?

Also i'm looking for a bag for the new lenses and my current stuff, i want to get a 3n1 series, but what are the differences between them and which is ideal?. eg 3n1-10, 3n1-20 and 3n1-30.

Much appreciated everyone.

Tim☺

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP Plus
7 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2009 12:29PM
have a look at the Nikkor 70-300 Vr and i think it will give you everything you need, including close focusing at a fair price. they are optically really excellent and have metal mounts etc. i believe they are still under 400. the version without vr is not the same optics and is not built as well.

another great lens i wouldnt be without is the Sigma 18-200 os.
Phil
dathersmith 8 550 12 England
29 Oct 2009 1:17PM
Hi Tim, my son uses the Nikkor 70-300 VR and it is a great lens. Also if you are looking for the Kata 3N1-20 I have one for sale, brand new and still in the bag. Let me know if you're interested.

Darren.
30 Oct 2009 4:57AM
Okay, i looked into it, and the 70-210 aufofocus doesnt work with my d60, and the 70-300 is what i want now, but the autofocus also doesn't work... does that mean i have to get the 55-200mm? i really want to get the 70-300, but how do i get this to work?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm
30 Oct 2009 5:07AM
acualy, found another, is this one suitable for a Nikon d60? and would this lens and my current lens be a good couple? or should i get a macro?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm
30 Oct 2009 5:18AM
better yet, can someone give me a link to a lens that will work with my D60 that is 70-300mm with aufofocus and vibration controll

Tim☺
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
30 Oct 2009 7:58AM
30 Oct 2009 9:32AM
Awsome thank you, i didn't realise the cool looking one was the one i need, now i just need to scrape up 500 usd off the ground Smile

Cheers

Tim☺
zobo81 5 3
30 Oct 2009 4:21PM
With your D60 it doesn't have a built in motor for autofocus so you need lenses which have this in. Sigma and Tamron both do a very good range of Nikon fit lenses with built in motor drives and at reasonable prices too. Have a look on the Mifsuds website - they're always really helpful, good prices and keep a good range in stock too.
30 Oct 2009 8:57PM

Quote:With your D60 it doesn't have a built in motor for autofocus so you need lenses which have this in. Sigma and Tamron both do a very good range of Nikon fit lenses with built in motor drives and at reasonable prices too. Have a look on the Mifsuds website - they're always really helpful, good prices and keep a good range in stock too.

kk will do
cats_123 Plus
11 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
30 Oct 2009 10:18PM

Quote:
on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.

I'm using the 55-200 and agree that the auto focus is slow, but otherwise a good lens.

Have you tried Grays of Westminster?
31 Oct 2009 12:30AM

Quote:Quote:
on the other hand, the 55-200 was my first choice, but it doesn't have a fast focus speed so action shots are harder to get.
I'm using the 55-200 and agree that the auto focus is slow, but otherwise a good lens.

Have you tried Grays of Westminster?

havnt before, but the prices are to high, im just gonna have to buy it off ebay.
StrayCat Plus
11 16.3k 2 Canada
31 Oct 2009 4:41AM
The VR might seem like a handy thing right now, but it won't replace a tripod, or some other method of steadying the lens. The 70-300mm ED Nikkor was a valued lens by John Shaw, who teaches the pros. There is also the G version, of which the only significant difference is that it has a plastic mount; while the ED version had a metal mount. I had the ED version for four years, and it is a workhorse. I'm looking on ebay for the ED version, and I would put an excellent one, used, at $150.00. I would not refuse a G model, there are some fine shots on here with it; motorsport, airshow, birds, wildlife. If you get one, the Nikon 62mm 5T close-up dioptre gives great results for macro, attaches like a filter, but Nikon stopped making them last year or so, and the price has doubled on Ebay, about $120.00, worth it though, and with step-up rings, can be used on any lens size below 62mm. Don't get stuck on VR, like me and many more, you will eventually learn the value of a tripod. I had the Nikon VR 80-400mm for four years, and took the tripod mount off the day I got it; I swore by VR, until I put the Tripod mount back on and started using the lens properly. I didn't use the VR very much in the last year I had the lens.
31 Oct 2009 9:54AM

Quote:The VR might seem like a handy thing right now, but it won't replace a tripod, or some other method of steadying the lens. The 70-300mm ED Nikkor was a valued lens by John Shaw, who teaches the pros. There is also the G version, of which the only significant difference is that it has a plastic mount; while the ED version had a metal mount. I had the ED version for four years, and it is a workhorse. I'm looking on ebay for the ED version, and I would put an excellent one, used, at $150.00. I would not refuse a G model, there are some fine shots on here with it; motorsport, airshow, birds, wildlife. If you get one, the Nikon 62mm 5T close-up dioptre gives great results for macro, attaches like a filter, but Nikon stopped making them last year or so, and the price has doubled on Ebay, about $120.00, worth it though, and with step-up rings, can be used on any lens size below 62mm. Don't get stuck on VR, like me and many more, you will eventually learn the value of a tripod. I had the Nikon VR 80-400mm for four years, and took the tripod mount off the day I got it; I swore by VR, until I put the Tripod mount back on and started using the lens properly. I didn't use the VR very much in the last year I had the lens.

Thank you for your info, i don't want the lens for the vr, i could care less. i mearly refer to the lens as 70-300mm vr because it is the only 70-300 lens that has a silent wave motor and my D60 doesn't have any motor. Plus it has m/a - m focusing, manual override, how cool is that?! p.s. i could call it the f/4.5-5.6.

Also did you mean you were selling a AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED?

Cheers

Tim☺
StrayCat Plus
11 16.3k 2 Canada
31 Oct 2009 7:13PM
No Tim, I sold it last year, now Im shopping for one.

Cheers,
Denny

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.