Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I Just Got Back !

martyn05 7 363 England
10 Mar 2010 2:39PM
Hi everyone,
I have just got back from Focus at the NEC, it was my first time there. I had a good look round, chatted to a few people, met Tricia from ephotozine advertising (hi Tricia) and generally had a good time.

The only downside to it all was I purchased a 24-70mm f2.8, a 70-200mm f2.8, Hoya Pro1 filters for them, Spyder 3 Pro and a Sekonic 308. Hows that a downside you may be asking?

Well I am sat here with my new toys waiting for my wife (who I love very much) to come home!!

Wish me luck !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Mar 2010 2:52PM
Oh dear....... Good luck...LOL
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2010 2:56PM
unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag. If she asks about them just say "what this old thing?".
it's what she does with new frocks Wink
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
10 Mar 2010 2:56PM
I think you better hide that stuff quick
pcheywood 9 1.3k England
10 Mar 2010 3:00PM
Hahaha...........May I draw your attention to a thread I posted just a few days ago, (HERE) , and suggest that you work out a good good smuggling policy.

I'm not dead yet, but it's not been in public view for her. Wink
10 Mar 2010 3:26PM
Good Luck, you're a brave man. Think my wife would remove my bits with a pair of rusty scissors if i'd bought that little lot.... (Gulp)... Sad
john64 e2
10 824 England
10 Mar 2010 4:25PM

Quote:Unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag.

That's what I did on Monday Wink

5DmkII + grip + 2nd battery, packaging into the loft - that's my domain and always will be.

I showed her the memory cards and the Spyder3 Elite, but then she did give me the money for the Spyder for my birthday.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Mar 2010 4:43PM
But how do you deal with the guilt? grin-dark.jpg

martyn05 7 363 England
10 Mar 2010 6:00PM
Well,
I picked my wife up from work, made her a coffee, sat her down and explained all to her. After the initial "bloody hell", "how much" etc I gave her my 70-200mm f4, then let her try the new lenses first on her camera. She was impressed with them.

So all was'nt so bad.

But then I made the mistake of saying "whats for tea love?"

The reply was "after spending all that money today we are having chinese for tea"

So I gave her 20 and she has popped off to the local chinese takeaway.

No doubt the subject will be raised now and again but at least I have the new toys.
rossd 11 1.1k England
10 Mar 2010 8:25PM

Quote:I purchased a 24-70mm f2.8, a 70-200mm f2.8, Hoya Pro1 filters for them, Spyder 3 Pro and a Sekonic 308.

And how much did you save by buying at Focus ????
csurry 12 9.2k 92
10 Mar 2010 8:29PM
Well at least I don't have to hide my purchases from anyone Grin

But then I think you probably outspent me anyway which is saying something as I did buy the Nikon 70-200 VRII.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2010 11:04PM
lashed out 65 on a Temba Messenger bag; that was it Smile
I spent 5 on lunch and that was it.
I found stuff was expensive - I'd taken along a list of prices from UK internet shops like Parks and no-one would match them.
Great to look around and see the items I was interested in.
As a female 'wrinkly' I found a lot of the stall holders condescending.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2010 12:00PM

Quote:As a female 'wrinkly' I found a lot of the stall holders condescending.

Don't worry Merl - it was the same for us Male Wrinklies too! Wink

All four of our group came away felling a bit deflated by the lack of stalls and bargains, (although one of us did, finally splash out and buy a Nikon D90 + kit lens - not bad, its only taken him about 15 months to make his mind up!)

There was a distinct lack of product availability too, I went up with a long shopping list for fine art papers etc but none was available
MerryP 4 8 England
11 Mar 2010 12:07PM

Quote:Unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag. If she asks about them just say "what this old thing?".
it's what she does with new frocks Wink

That's what I did when I bought my 100mm f2.8L while still owing my parents a significant chunk of money from the loan to buy a 5DII!
And that's what I do with clothes as well, haha!

I hope you had a great time, you will've saved a bunch of money by buying at Focus!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.