Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I Just Got Back !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

martyn05
martyn05  7363 forum posts England
10 Mar 2010 - 2:39 PM

Hi everyone,
I have just got back from Focus at the NEC, it was my first time there. I had a good look round, chatted to a few people, met Tricia from ephotozine advertising (hi Tricia) and generally had a good time.

The only downside to it all was I purchased a 24-70mm f2.8, a 70-200mm f2.8, Hoya Pro1 filters for them, Spyder 3 Pro and a Sekonic 308. Hows that a downside you may be asking?

Well I am sat here with my new toys waiting for my wife (who I love very much) to come home!!

Wish me luck !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2010 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 2:52 PM

Oh dear....... Good luck...LOL

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014038 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 2:56 PM

unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag. If she asks about them just say "what this old thing?".
it's what she does with new frocks Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
10 Mar 2010 - 2:56 PM

I think you better hide that stuff quick

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
10 Mar 2010 - 3:00 PM

Hahaha...........May I draw your attention to a thread I posted just a few days ago, (HERE), and suggest that you work out a good good smuggling policy.

I'm not dead yet, but it's not been in public view for her. Wink

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 3:26 PM

Good Luck, you're a brave man. Think my wife would remove my bits with a pair of rusty scissors if i'd bought that little lot.... (Gulp)... Sad

Last Modified By jken at 10 Mar 2010 - 3:27 PM
john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
10 Mar 2010 - 4:25 PM

Quote: Unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag.

That's what I did on Monday Wink

5DmkII + grip + 2nd battery, packaging into the loft - that's my domain and always will be.

I showed her the memory cards and the Spyder3 Elite, but then she did give me the money for the Spyder for my birthday.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 4:43 PM

But how do you deal with the guilt? grin-dark.jpg

martyn05
martyn05  7363 forum posts England
10 Mar 2010 - 6:00 PM

Well,
I picked my wife up from work, made her a coffee, sat her down and explained all to her. After the initial "bloody hell", "how much" etc I gave her my 70-200mm f4, then let her try the new lenses first on her camera. She was impressed with them.

So all was'nt so bad.

But then I made the mistake of saying "whats for tea love?"

The reply was "after spending all that money today we are having chinese for tea"

So I gave her 20 and she has popped off to the local chinese takeaway.

No doubt the subject will be raised now and again but at least I have the new toys.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
10 Mar 2010 - 8:25 PM

Quote: I purchased a 24-70mm f2.8, a 70-200mm f2.8, Hoya Pro1 filters for them, Spyder 3 Pro and a Sekonic 308.

And how much did you save by buying at Focus ????

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 8:29 PM

Well at least I don't have to hide my purchases from anyone Grin

But then I think you probably outspent me anyway which is saying something as I did buy the Nikon 70-200 VRII.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123860 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2010 - 11:04 PM

lashed out 65 on a Temba Messenger bag; that was it Smile

aftertherain
11 Mar 2010 - 11:34 AM

I spent 5 on lunch and that was it.
I found stuff was expensive - I'd taken along a list of prices from UK internet shops like Parks and no-one would match them.
Great to look around and see the items I was interested in.
As a female 'wrinkly' I found a lot of the stall holders condescending.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2010 - 12:00 PM

Quote: As a female 'wrinkly' I found a lot of the stall holders condescending.

Don't worry Merl - it was the same for us Male Wrinklies too! Wink

All four of our group came away felling a bit deflated by the lack of stalls and bargains, (although one of us did, finally splash out and buy a Nikon D90 + kit lens - not bad, its only taken him about 15 months to make his mind up!)

There was a distinct lack of product availability too, I went up with a long shopping list for fine art papers etc but none was available

MerryP
MerryP  4 England
11 Mar 2010 - 12:07 PM

Quote: Unpack them, throw the packaging away & put them in your camera bag. If she asks about them just say "what this old thing?".
it's what she does with new frocks Wink

That's what I did when I bought my 100mm f2.8L while still owing my parents a significant chunk of money from the loan to buy a 5DII!
And that's what I do with clothes as well, haha!

I hope you had a great time, you will've saved a bunch of money by buying at Focus!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.