Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm a suspected terrorist!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 7:37 PM

Guess who got stopped today under the Terrorism Act 2000?
Apparently the Forth river authority would have been happy for me to take pictures of the road bridge from North Queensferry, but weren't happy about where I parked the car (I missed the sign by looking for the shot). That attracted the attention of the police, who wouldn't even let me take the photos. Probably confused them because I was using a film camera Wink
Had to spend ten minutes giving my details (as did my girlfriend). The officer was very friendly, and I didn't think it was worth the argument, as we were headed up the coast anyway.
All because a certain mister Brown has a house in the area. Just hope the film turns out, I didn't have time to get the digital out of the bag. We were there less than a minute before the police were called.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2009 - 7:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139449 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 7:40 PM

Did you actually get any of the shots you wanted? Was your film camera an SLR?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 7:59 PM

Nikon FM2, loaded with a roll of black and white. 24mm 2.8. Not exactly intimidating to look at.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139449 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:03 PM

But still an SLR. A compact or camera phone and they might not have bothered ("Just a tourist" etc).

kaybee
kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:09 PM

It is a feeble excuse and purely a 'number gathering' exercise.
I am getting to the point of being embarrassed to admit I used to be in the police

Carabosse
19 Feb 2009 - 8:11 PM

Well it helps their statistics I guess, and is certainly a lot less hassle than going after knife-wielding social psychos, tracking down burglars etc. Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:32 PM

Quote: embarrassed to admit I used to be in the police

Don't be Roy, I'm sure most people realise that the poilce officers themselves have been given the orders from above, It's the same old story, The pen pushers make stupid rules, But they get someone else to deliver them.....Sad

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
19 Feb 2009 - 8:38 PM

It's awful that this sort of thing should happen to a perfectly innocent person yet I recall seeing cctv footage in a 9/11 documentary showing one of the suspected terrorists loitering around the twin towers with a camera. Governments can only take action as they see fit. It could be argued that taking no action at all shows incompetence and lack of foresight.

Last Modified By jondf at 19 Feb 2009 - 8:39 PM
Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:39 PM

some people though don't know the difference.
I remember reading about army officers who were being rejected services (I think one was rejected a room in a hotel from the example I read) because they were involved in the war in Iraq.
As I recall it was big thing in the media last year (ok big I think they were on about it for a week to a month and then -- as the media does - got bord and found something else)

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014813 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:41 PM

That was the right approach to take in your case. To argue and kick up a fuss would probably have gotten you and your girlfriend taken downtown. It's human nature; you hassle me, I'll hassle you.

Put yourself in the other person's position for a minute; you're an airport security person at a checkpoint, it's Friday and it's been a long week, 6 hours into your shift, everything having gone smoothly so far, passengers and crew members all pleasant and understanding, and then this person shows up, you know the type, loud, abusive, rude, acts the same way in restarants, etc. This person is against the system, against authority, obviously has no respect for you or your colleagues, or the other people waiting behind him/her in line; what would you do? He he! I'd make up for the previous frustrations of the job for the whole week; I was just waiting for this jerk, and they actually pay me $15.00 and hour to give him/her the most miserable time of his/her life. Then when I got off shift, I'd go home happy, and enjoy the weekend.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 19 Feb 2009 - 8:44 PM
Snapper
Snapper  93751 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:45 PM

Quote: We were there less than a minute before the police were called.

Tha area is probably at saturation point with CCTV! Sad

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 9:05 PM

David,
I'm interested, did they actually mention the Terrorism Act when they spoke to you?

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 9:06 PM

Was there a big sign saying don't take photos here as its the home of the countries PM hero?

I stopped in the village last time I was there near the harbour. Not that familiar with the area.

Snapper the whole UK is full of cameras. I have never met anyone who actually works with them though. I often imagine the workers on the other end of the camera sleeping with there feet in the air me thinks Smile

Tommy

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 9:09 PM

Quote: But still an SLR. A compact or camera phone and they might not have bothered

Which has always puzzled me. If an unstoppable fiend was plotting badness surely he would use the most inconspicuous camera possible.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 9:12 PM

Quote: If an unstoppable fiend was plotting badness surely he would use the most inconspicuous camera possible.

tell that to the police!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.