Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

I'm crapping myself!

hook e2
7 706 England
18 Nov 2008 11:16AM
3 weeks ago i left my employer after 5 years, to try to make it in the big world, just me and my camera. I have managed to get into a local studio with lots of space im really lucky it has all the bits screen to view images on tea coffee sofas, and lights coming out of everywhere.

Tomorrow at 4pm I have my first paying customer ( no model tfp no friends no family) and because im out of my comfortzone im nervous to say the least. cant stop thinking what if it all goes wrong, lights fail, camera packs in, images come out crap, her kids dont play ball.

Any body got any tips to calm me down apart from alcohol or drugs to sedate me.

Mk

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 11:27AM
I find it helps if;

1 I sit down and make a list of all the things I need to do, then walk through it with your kit making you have everything set up just so (get a friend to sit for you) Nothing like a few dry runs to make it custom and practice.

2 About 10 min before they come you get a tea of Coffee and sit quietly, close your eyes and just mentally work yourself through what you plan. Then take time to think of a couple of pieces of work you have enjoyed.

3 Remember you are good you are professional and its why you chose to do this.

Its waiting I hate, once you are going, just take a moment to pause and check you are following your game plan you noted in phase 1.
NexusImages e2
7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 11:28AM
What's the worst that can happen? It could go t*ts up....but then you just do a re-shoot.
Just had a wee scout through your pf and it seems you know what you are doing.
So.....be cool. And as Neo says in the Matrix 'there is no spoon'

but if you are still brickin it, then a spot of rescue remedy works a treat (for me, exams wobble me right off my perch, RR seems to bring me back down to earth).
Hope this helps.
Mand.x.
18 Nov 2008 11:29AM
What I do to reduce most of the nerves is to make sure I have it all there ready...
new charged battery, memory cards rendered and ready, lenses dust free, extra batteries, leads cables etc..
I put them all in my camera bag and leave it by the front door with a tick list all ticked off on top. Every-time I walk past I feel excited that Im ready instead of panicked cause Its all happening tomorrow.
Does that make sense.
watch a film go for a walk I bet you anything that it will be brilliant and you will feel a rush after its over and you will wonder what the panic was all for
All the best
B
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 11:32AM
Congrats on taking the big step! The studio sounds great - I'm a bit jealous!

Doesn't sound like there's any need to be nervous, but saying that, I still brick mesel' every time I step out of the house on a job - and I've been at it a good few years now.....

Forgetting vital bits & pieces is my downfall (well, not quite). I have once arrived at a client's house without my backdrop - had to make a transparent excuse and drive four miles through match day traffic to retrieve it.

You won't have that problem if you're studio based though Smile

Good luck with it,

Jamie.
BubbaG2000 e2
7 767 1
18 Nov 2008 11:39AM
Nobody in their right mind would leave a job if they didn't have a plan like you do, so you obviously recognised your skills and abilities. Don't forget you have them!

I'm also with Bridget on her advice. An ex-sniper once told me the 6 P's... Prior Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance. I'm sure that applies to a lot of things in life other than cold-blooded murder from afar, so make like a boy-scout and Be Prepared!
sidaorb e2
8 3.9k 2 England
18 Nov 2008 11:43AM

Quote:I find it helps if;

1 I sit down and make a list of all the things I need to do, then walk through it with your kit making you have everything set up just so (get a friend to sit for you) Nothing like a few dry runs to make it custom and practice.

2 About 10 min before they come you get a tea of Coffee and sit quietly, close your eyes and just mentally work yourself through what you plan. Then take time to think of a couple of pieces of work you have enjoyed.

3 Remember you are good you are professional and its why you chose to do this.

Its waiting I hate, once you are going, just take a moment to pause and check you are following your game plan you noted in phase 1.

Probably one of the best bits of advice I've ever read on EPZ, if John doesnt mind I may just print this out on a little A5 pocket card and keep it to hand Smile
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 11:46AM
I get really nervous when taking portraits...I find the best thing is to be organised and prepared.....have a mental list of poses that you will run through...even show the client a few so they know what you want and they can feel more at ease...

Write what you want to do down on a list...

Once it all starts happening their natural response takes over and go with the flow..if you get stuck..refer back to the list

...and remember they will be more nervous than you..it terrifying on the other side. LOL
sidaorb e2
8 3.9k 2 England
18 Nov 2008 11:48AM
Further to the pocket card idea I mentioned above, its something I've used a few times, especially with specific shoots, ie settings, instructions etc.

I remember doing some commercial work that required 180 degree panoramics, but also required bearings for objects on line of sight, and a few other specifics, a quick laminated wipe clean 'check sheet' was a godsend Smile
hook e2
7 706 England
18 Nov 2008 11:51AM
Wow !!!

I am not alone!

Thank you all for your support, (getting soppy now) just shows this web site is not all votes and posting.
There are real people out there in the same field as me and taking time to read my post and giving their thoughts and support and advice.

I will take your advice and im now smiling.

THANK YOU.
Mk
Terrym1 e2
6 40 2 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 11:56AM
Judging by your images id say you have the skills to pull it off without any drama. Just go for it.
crookymonsta e2
6 705 10 England
18 Nov 2008 12:25PM
Lane's Quiet Life tablets (can get them in Holland & Barrett) do it for me - calm the nerves but leave you feeling very clear headed and sharper than normal!

Good luck, Sandra
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 12:28PM

Quote:if John doesnt mind I may just print this out on a little A5 pocket card and keep it to hand
Thanks of course you can.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 1:07PM
Don't forget to chat to the client first, to put both them and yourself at ease. If you can establish a rapport everything becomes easier.

Good luck.

Ian
col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2008 5:15PM
I can relate to being nervous, although not in the same setting.

PLaying with various amateur bands over the years, I used to get nervous. I got a few funny looks when spotted in a back corridor in some venue jumping up and down, stretching and doing press-ups!

Better than that, the best piece of advice I ever stumbled across for stage-fright was set the kit up, and then as the punters arrive, have a pint (if not driving) and mingle. By chatting to people, you'll soon realise that they're there for a good night out, a laugh, to enjoy themselves - not to critique every move you make. I'm sure that some of this could apply to you but if you end up legless, or falling down a hole while out running, I'm not to blame!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.