Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I'm curious........

MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
9 Dec 2007 12:41PM
........ about why Pentax are the camera least likely to be recommended by their owners.

I was looking at the Which? website and Pentax are burdened by that unfortunate statistic - only 36% said they would recommend them to someone else.

Are they an acquired taste ? Quirky ? Not well designed and hard to learn/use ?

My ME Super from years ago was a beaut - so what has changed ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Barbaraj 7 450 England
9 Dec 2007 12:57PM
I had a Pentax Optio small compact and moved to a Pentax K 100D and enjoy using it. I get looked at when I say I have a Pentax like ..' poor you,' ...or 'couldnt afford a better model.' But I mention it is a Pentax when I can.

I bought it because the size and weight was right for me.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2007 1:03PM
people say good things about the pentax slr/dslr, perhaps the compacts aren't so good.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
9 Dec 2007 1:11PM
The latest DSlr's are very good, The K10d has had several awards. Don't know much about the latest compacts though? I have (and my son now uses)an old Optio S4 compact and it still works well.

Ken
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2007 1:18PM
Pentax fell behind in the digital era, simple as that. They have a long way to go to catch up in terms of not only desirability but range of kit available.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2007 1:50PM
Perhaps they love their Pentaxs, just worried that recommending them to someone else would get them laughed at.

Wink
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
9 Dec 2007 2:13PM

Quote:........ about why Pentax are the camera least likely to be recommended by their owners.

Not all owners Wink

I've had a play with the k10D and I'd recommend it as a good cam, so maybe their compacts aren't up to snuff?
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2007 3:21PM
One can do wonders with statistics Wink
And not a statistic I would pay much attention to.
Any review, even Which, is biased.
Ken
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
9 Dec 2007 3:57PM

Quote:One can do wonders with statistics
And not a statistic I would pay much attention to.
Any review, even Which, is biased.
Ken

Sorry, but that's too glib and dismissive a statement to take seriously.

Which? is about as impartial as it gets in the consumer world - more so that yer average 'Pentax Forum Haunter'

Smile
Chrism8 8 752 14 England
9 Dec 2007 4:15PM
I've had Pentax kit since a K1000 in the early 80's, been excellent kit to work with, Yes, they have fallen behind Canon & Nikon, but with the K mount, lenses are good, plentyful and fairly cheap, plus the K10D and other K variants are good.

It's the photographer that makes the photograph, not just to be seen with a popular brand of kit.
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2007 6:00PM

Quote:I had a Pentax Optio small compact and moved to a Pentax K 100D and enjoy using it. I get looked at when I say I have a Pentax like ..' poor you,' ...or 'couldnt afford a better model.' But I mention it is a Pentax when I can.

You want to try telling people you have a Konica Minolta!
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
9 Dec 2007 9:27PM
It's the end result that counts, not what make of camera you use.
Among the equipment I use are compacts by Kyocera and Casio, both of which can give excellent results.
The proof is sitting in my portfolio for anyone to see.

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.