Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm curious........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MeanGreeny
    9 Dec 2007 - 12:41 PM

........ about why Pentax are the camera least likely to be recommended by their owners.

I was looking at the Which? website and Pentax are burdened by that unfortunate statistic - only 36% said they would recommend them to someone else.

Are they an acquired taste ? Quirky ? Not well designed and hard to learn/use ?

My ME Super from years ago was a beaut - so what has changed ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2007 - 12:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Barbaraj
    Barbaraj  7450 forum posts England
    9 Dec 2007 - 12:57 PM

I had a Pentax Optio small compact and moved to a Pentax K 100D and enjoy using it. I get looked at when I say I have a Pentax like ..' poor you,' ...or 'couldnt afford a better model.' But I mention it is a Pentax when I can.

I bought it because the size and weight was right for me.

keith selmes
    9 Dec 2007 - 1:03 PM

people say good things about the pentax slr/dslr, perhaps the compacts aren't so good.

franken
    franken e2 Member 112914 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 1:11 PM

The latest DSlr's are very good, The K10d has had several awards. Don't know much about the latest compacts though? I have (and my son now uses)an old Optio S4 compact and it still works well.

Ken

elowes
    elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Dec 2007 - 1:18 PM

Pentax fell behind in the digital era, simple as that. They have a long way to go to catch up in terms of not only desirability but range of kit available.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
    9 Dec 2007 - 1:50 PM

Perhaps they love their Pentaxs, just worried that recommending them to someone else would get them laughed at.

Wink

fauxtography
    9 Dec 2007 - 2:13 PM

Quote: ........ about why Pentax are the camera least likely to be recommended by their owners.

Not all owners Wink

I've had a play with the k10D and I'd recommend it as a good cam, so maybe their compacts aren't up to snuff?

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 3:21 PM

One can do wonders with statistics Wink
    And not a statistic I would pay much attention to.
    Any review, even Which, is biased.
    Ken

MeanGreeny
    9 Dec 2007 - 3:57 PM

Quote: One can do wonders with statistics
    And not a statistic I would pay much attention to.
    Any review, even Which, is biased.
    Ken

Sorry, but that's too glib and dismissive a statement to take seriously.

Which? is about as impartial as it gets in the consumer world - more so that yer average 'Pentax Forum Haunter'

Smile

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 9 Dec 2007 - 3:58 PM
    Chrism8
    Chrism8 e2 Member 7729 forum postsChrism8 vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 4:15 PM

I've had Pentax kit since a K1000 in the early 80's, been excellent kit to work with, Yes, they have fallen behind Canon & Nikon, but with the K mount, lenses are good, plentyful and fairly cheap, plus the K10D and other K variants are good.

It's the photographer that makes the photograph, not just to be seen with a popular brand of kit.

Fishnet
    Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 6:00 PM

Quote: I had a Pentax Optio small compact and moved to a Pentax K 100D and enjoy using it. I get looked at when I say I have a Pentax like ..' poor you,' ...or 'couldnt afford a better model.' But I mention it is a Pentax when I can.

You want to try telling people you have a Konica Minolta!

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:27 PM

It's the end result that counts, not what make of camera you use.
    Among the equipment I use are compacts by Kyocera and Casio, both of which can give excellent results.
    The proof is sitting in my portfolio for anyone to see.

Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.