Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm getting no appreciation!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Yes that is right - all the hours of learning; all the days of practice and testing. All the time invested into learning about exposure - composition - lighting - all the bits of sticky tape and card of my custom diffusers.

All of it pointless as I get no appreciation from my audiences - no true appreciation that is! Yeah I get the "oh nice" reply, but its little more than a passing nod as those around me fly by. It's not real, its just the empty comments passed on from one to another as a mark of politeness; not a true measure of the worth of my photos!

And to top it all I now have to sit here with pain in my hand from my last encounter (though I will say outside of my photography) with one of my professional models. A sharp throbbing pain that promises to be a right annoyance for ages - maybe days!

In other news...... never have a dark tabletop
never assume that any human building is impenetrable
always ask before touching
and never never put your hand down before looking first

and never ever try to stroke a wasp when its awake and not in the mood to be stroked. Because not only are they a darn good stinger, but they also won't give you more than a buzz at your photosSadTongueGrin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

I bet you're glad to get that off your chest. Grin

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6515 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

You have an awarded photo and a damn good one it is too, that's more than I have acheived so don't beat yourself up.

gary

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

Slow - true, but I wish it was off my hand Wink

Gary - but that is only an award from people - what about my subjects - my models - like I said never more than a buzz; and its hands off on all of them least I get stung again TongueGrin

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6515 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Sorry Alex I thought you were talking about this site.

gary

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 8:30 AM

Quote: All of it pointless as I get no appreciation from my audiences
Sorry to be so blunt but that is rubbish. It is only pointless either if you are a professional and your customers don't appreciate your shots or you are an amateur and don't appreciate your own shots.

Sure it is nice to have people gushing over how good you are, but the most important person for any amateur should be themselves. After all, photography is extremely subjective.

In other words, if all you want is praise from others then you may as well put your camera away.

Ian

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 8:56 AM

I' ve been through this myself lately and quite frankly you have got to man up my friend, i had to and must admit understood what people were going on about.
No one wants to hear you wine about your own photography on here, there are ways to get recognised find out what they are and maybe you'll get more clicks, i understand where your coming from because i was there too but you have to get over that and move on and do more with your photography, i go out nearly every day taking photo's in the hope i get that extra special one that may get me that award on here but it's too easy to be drawn into that side of this site, when all you care about is awards and votes and comments, yes it's nice to have and yes it makes you feel like the image was worth while getting drenched, or muddy from being in an estuary, or getting your camera soaked from rogue waves to get that shot that counts.
The question you must ask yourself is, who are you taking the photo's for, why are you taking the photo's, are they for you or are they for a customer or are they to learn from.
I want to be a wedding photographer so i go out pretty much every day and practice my skills with the camera where possible, i am also setting up a studio which is half done in a 1500 square foot unit which is all carpeted out and comfortable, that is my point of why i take thousands and thousands of images every day, some days it is totally pointless going out but you never know what can happen and some days i wipe everything off my memory card cause i know i took a load of rubbish that day, so not every day do i get a good image but i practice, practice,practice, and some days i get too confused with the photography too.
I went on 2 courses for photography and learnt an awful lot but then found that what i had learnt was not necessarily fact and clear cut.
It's not easy sometimes but you need to get over the issue of taking images to put on here for people to go wow, especially when they are doing the same thing.
I get wow what a great image from friends and customers that come in my shop where i display my work, on a gallery wall and albums created at warehouse express.
I make my own frames too for the images with chunky English oak. so i tend to display my best work.
It is very difficult to get clear cut answers for any one subject as well, i just experiment with what works for me, there is no recognised institute as far as i am aware that states this is the sort of photo you need to achieve to be accepted as a standard set, but then I could be wrong.

I hope this helps you get over your creative issues you are having.

Ian

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 13 May 2011 - 9:05 AM
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 9:09 AM

Woosh! Wink

Last Modified By roxpix at 13 May 2011 - 9:10 AM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 9:27 AM

Quote: Gary - but that is only an award from people - what about my subjects - my models - like I said never more than a buzz; and its hands off on all of them least I get stung again

Well don't try to touch them up, then!

Mind you, I wouldn't really want to work with any of your models. They're not what you might call 'lookers' and they seem to lack a sense of humour.... Wink

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 9:42 AM

Doh!! Just re-read your post and realised what you were on about.

I will dutifully retract my previous post. Grin

Ian

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

Ian you wally Tongue

You don't want to mess with these guys either....

-dsc3195-ocellated-lizard2.jpg

JamesGarfield
13 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Wasn't that the alternative lyrics the Stones where going to use but opted for "I can't get no satisfaction" instead ?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

it's annoying when you've done a TF shoot and the models don't use your stuff in their folio - preferring instead inferior shots... often tacky shots with their norks pointing out!

then again, a few I've done are very "business" oriented, in suits, on moors, on Leeds Town Halls Lions... maybe not what they need for their route to paged 3 stardom Wink

the feedback I get from my "media shoot" clients is amazing, I don't think business people realised that photography was such fun, and that spending a few hours with a photographer could turn them from stiff corporate types into models who'll do anything Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Here's a couple - though the one on the rock does link to the shot from her Model Mayhem page.

I guess when I to a TF shoot, it's all about what I want to shoot, so shots like these are probably not exactly what the model wants for her book... though especually with the couple shot, which had an art director posing them, I thought she'd go for it as it shows a larger production

alas no - quite a few "iphone" type shots instead.

Smile

lrg-18097-1287762869-1-.jpg

lrg-18097-1287425539-1-.jpg

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

I like the bottom one Ade- but you need to watch the shadow on the guys cheak it's a bit off putting

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.