Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm looking to buy a new monitor

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
TeresaH
TeresaH  91116 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2006 - 5:10 AM

Can any recommend a monitor which will give good colour representation/balance?

I've had a look on the PC World website and Comet and seen the name Gateway and Hewlett Packard.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks
Teresa.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2006 - 5:10 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peter shilton
16 Mar 2006 - 5:17 AM

Don't go near PC World or Comet!

As for recomendations we need a lot more info.

Use, budget, LCD?

Have a look at micom.co.uk, but lots of other sites too.

So long as you can profile it you should get good colour representation.

TeresaH
16 Mar 2006 - 5:20 AM

Thanks Peter, price range would be up to 250 I think and it would be to view my pictures on screen with regards to editing and making them better! At the moment I have an old monitor and am shocked when I see my images on decent screens.

peter shilton
16 Mar 2006 - 5:40 AM

I have an Acer 19" monitor that I am happy with.

From micom it is 190 ish plus delivery.

Look at ACER AL1916WS 19 INCH WIDESCREEN TFT FLAT SCREEN. It is widescreen so you can work on your images and have room for the pallettes at the side.

But it doesn't have built in speakers.

I assume that you have an anologue videocard?

TeresaH
16 Mar 2006 - 5:57 AM

Thanks Peter for replying.

The website looks very good and I have e-mailed them asking for their recommendations.

Sorry have no idea what a videocard is!

Teresa.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2006 - 6:07 AM

i would definately go for widescreen for the reason Pete has stated, also i wouldn't go mail order till you have been to a shop and seen the different models on display, so you can judge what looks good to you, then maybe you can find that model cheaper online, the disadvantage of that is if anything goes wrong with it you can't return it to a shop and you may well find you are saddled with return mailing costs.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2006 - 6:08 AM

Teresa I'm going through the same exercise (although buying a PC at the same time)

so far models under consideration include

Dells Ultrashap monitor not sure of the number it might be 1907
and
Samsung Syncmaster 913V
and some of the Viewsonic range

some good reviews
here

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2006 - 6:15 AM

I run 2 Samsung Syncmasters and they are superb for my needs, they do have a 700:1 contrast ratio compared to most similar priced products being 500:1.

The monitor allows me to store profiles i.e switch it to nightime mode and then adjust the screen at night it retains the settings, for daytime I use another mode etc..

I did buy mine from PC World but from the business section, from people that actully know how to deal with people! I'm not saying they are like that in every store though! The business account gets me savings for stuff available off the shelf in the store and a vast catalogue of items not on the shelves. Thing is though, I don't go to them for technical advice. IT wise I'm in the business so have the right contacts to ask if need be.

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2006 - 10:38 AM

I operate a Widescreen SyncMaster too, (built in speakers are by-passed with the surround sound) very good, don't lose their colour between profiling either.

Skodster
Skodster  8902 forum posts Ireland
16 Mar 2006 - 10:38 PM

I am about to replace my old Syncmaster 17". I am, like most others, on a severe budget but want 'bang for buck'. I have been around the forums and concluded that the lower priced TFT's are not suitable for what I need as a photographer/videographer.

Just to put my ha'penneth in, I am going to buy a Samsung SM1100MB CRT for the following reasons;

1. It's incredibly good value and far superior to an equivalently priced TFT (see pricerunner)
2. The refresh rate is an incredible 154hz at 1024 x 768
3. There is a good UK warranty with it
4. I am not short of space so a TFT is no real advantage

Dont get me wrong, I would love an Eizo TFT but unfortunately can't afford one so I think that this is the next best thing. (I would also love a new D2X but that's another story)

Take a look at the link and download the adobe brochure.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/crt/ks21cnibhedc.asp

contemporary dave
16 Mar 2006 - 10:59 PM

Interesting comments about the Samsung. I'm looking for a new monitor and I'm still to be convinced that an LCD is as good as a CRT - especially when CRT's are so cheap these days.

Another CRT monitor I'm looking at is the Viewsonic G90FB 19". Anyone had any experience with this model or Viewsonic CRT monitors?

Skodster
Skodster  8902 forum posts Ireland
17 Mar 2006 - 7:41 AM

I think that I convinced myself so much, i went and did what i said that I would do! The other issue about TFT's is that they are far more fragile than a CRT and are prone to dead pixels and, if like me, you hate dusty screens, you had better be particularly careful when cleaning.

Incedentally, I paid 300 for mine today. - Delighted!

CraigF
CraigF  8117 forum posts Scotland
17 Mar 2006 - 8:42 AM

As an Avid ex-gamer and now photographer you will not beat a CRT monitor for colour unless your going to stretch to a DELL 24" widescreen TFT at 700+.

If its a Tft you want then try the Digimate Range from Aria.co.uk these tft's are gems and at cracking prices.

You can also buy Narrow Tube CRT'S now also and if its primarily for photos then but a very good CRT.

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2006 - 11:07 AM

not impressed at all by any \viewsonic I've seen. Eizo CRT's are cheap and good quality, I'd stick with them.

alife
alife  1169 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Mar 2006 - 3:25 PM

Hiya, sorry to contradict some of the people above but go lcd/tft rather than crt, eizo and samsung are pretty good makes. CRTs do have a better picture for gaming, the refresh rates are still better, but LCD is the way to go, the quality is easily good enough for images, and your eye strain will thank you. Agree with the above I'd be surprised if you get a good deal at PC World, but choose the product you want, and then find a supplier, PCW, online, or elsewhere.
Al

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.