Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I'm Mad Mad Mad

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 11:24PM
Definitely. It sounds like they have an issue with you and are using the photos as a vehicle for their bullying. Keep copies of all evidence - messages, Facebook pages, write down comments (and times, places and witnesses if you can) etc and go to HR. it sounds like they are more in danger of disciplinary action than you.

Shooting photos at a public event such as a fun run or charity bash should be expected by all that attend, whether participating or watching, and unless the 'landowner' or an authorised agent asks you to stop, there is no reason why you should not take pictures of whatever you want (without becoming a nuisance or an obstruction). it is usually made clear before the event if photography is not allowed.
Incidentally, no one has the authority to make you delete any images already taken, without a court order - not even the police and not even under the 'prevention of terrorism' that some are very fond of quoting.

There is too much knee jerking where photography is concerned. In a public place, you can photograph children if you want, and this includes outside schools....though I wouldn't recommend it due to the reactions you would get, but there is nothing in law to prevent you. If the parents get shirty, then maybe they should consider how their children appear in public.

If you HR dept is worth it's salt and does its job properly, these stirrers should have a very uncomfortable time explaining why they are harassing you over nothing.

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 11:30PM
By the way

Quote:If their complaint to you did not involve images taken by you of their children, then they are merely stirring it and have no reason to even broach the subject with you.

Even if you did take pictures of their kids, they have no cause to make you delete them, nor any authority to do so. Anyone with any authority will tell them to take a running jump.

Nick
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2013 7:32AM
If you don't like the job much it could also be a good way out with a nice fat settlement cheque! Stress......followed by a case for constructive dismissal. Many places pay out before it goes to the tribunal.

Or if you have an HR team make them sort it out. Ask for a mediation meeting with HR and the people involved. You and they will have a chance to say what the issues are and agree on a resolution. I went through that with a pain in the ass IT manager once and we ended up doing some great work together after the meeting. Still hated each others methods but used each others strengths and made a pretty good team.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Jul 2013 9:35PM

Quote:If you don't like the job much it could also be a good way out with a nice fat settlement cheque!

Unless your earning heaps your unlikely to see heaps in compensation.
26 Jul 2013 9:54PM
Earnings don't matter it's what the tribunal awards that matter. I know a company that under legal advice paid out 20,000 to someone rather then let it go to tribunal - that person was on a basic salary of 8k.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Jul 2013 10:31PM
It makes a huge difference, awards are made up from different elements and there are limits.

I`ve had two court cases to deal with in the last 18 months, both for myself and my wife, neither case got to court thankfully.

Taking someone to court is a big step and very stressful.

By all means do it, but only after exhausting all other options first.
26 Jul 2013 10:40PM
Well maybe - but earning 8k and getting 20k is a good result - 2 years take home. It's only really option for me if you hate your job otherwise there's normally a in work solution.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Jul 2013 10:44PM
Yes it is a good result but results like that are few and far between, and on top of that your case could get reported in the press, even if your innocent it could still look bad.
26 Jul 2013 11:00PM
Shouldn't be reported to the press. That's why they pay our. To get the money you have to agree to say nothing. But best to sort out in other ways and keep your job and get on with life.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Jul 2013 11:10PM
No only if it gets to court, its all public information then, settle out of court and it will also include some form of gagging.
26 Jul 2013 11:16PM
Yep that's what I am saying - companies like to settle out of court. It's cheaper and there's less or no publicity.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.