Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm skint!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

I would say that anyone who judges me by the amount of possessions I have or don't have doesn't know me at all. It's a shame that there's a culture of waving one's material goods in front of others and others feeling they have to have the best too so as to keep up with the Jones's. That makes us all the poorer.

It's the same with clothes. Don't need a vast wardrobe and don't follow fashion. I use charity shops all the time. If I could do my current job for free I would, but for the fact that I need to eat and keep a roof over my head, as it's a privilege to work there - and working there full time means I don't get to spend as much time as I would like doing my writing and photography but sometimes something comes along which you cannot refuse. Don't get paid a lot anyway in the job but that's not the point - it's having the chance to do it which makes it all worthwhile.

I suppose in terms of material things yes, I do have my laptop (second hand) and my camera. But they are tools I use to express myself and to tell stories.

I don't think I've ever been happier in my life than I am right now. And by most people's standards I am completely skint.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 1:06 PM

By the standards of people who don't have a job, a computer or a camera (and many don't) the possession of all three will seem like living in the lap of luxury! Wink

Kris_Dutson
24 May 2009 - 1:23 PM

Quote: I don't think I've ever been happier in my life than I am right now. And by most people's standards I am completely skint.

Hear, hear.

Since we moved to the middle of nowhere in Dorset from a seething town three yeras ago, our quality of life has improved no end. Yes we live in a high rent, big house in the country but we have little else of value - the kid's bikes all came from boot fairs, they don't ask for designer clothes and the latest gadgets - but it's a price we are prepared to pay for the quality of life we now have.

And we're all as happy as pigs in sh*t.

And I still haven't bought any new kit....Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 1:26 PM

Quote: Yes we live in a high rent, big house in the country

These descriptions of "skintness" are truly heart-rending!

Lol! Wink

Kris_Dutson
24 May 2009 - 1:35 PM

Tongue

You know what I mean - wink or not. Wink

SuziBlue
24 May 2009 - 1:38 PM

I don't believe they're meant to be heart-rending Carabosse. Compared to villagers in a remote village in India yes of course we're hugely well off. In comparison to many people in the UK we're not, but the point is that there's an active rejection of what other people see as essential to good living. Something most MPs would be well advised to learn.

Or are you just feeling argumentative today Wink

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 24 May 2009 - 1:40 PM
ashley
ashley  10167 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 1:44 PM

your skint
I'm skint
looks like we are all skint Sad

Just bought a lottery ticket Grin

Ash

Last Modified By ashley at 24 May 2009 - 1:48 PM
Carabosse
24 May 2009 - 1:52 PM

Quote: to villagers in a remote village in India yes of course we're hugely well off.

You neither have to go out of the UK, nor to a remote village within it, to find real skintness.

Quote: are you just feeling argumentative today

No, just highly amused at how people perceive themselves! Grin

SuziBlue
24 May 2009 - 2:07 PM

Quote: You neither have to go out of the UK, nor to a remote village within it, to find real skintness.

Of course not.

You do make me chuckle. Smile

Carabosse
24 May 2009 - 2:37 PM

By Bill Gates's standards, Sir Alan Sugar is a bit skint! Wink

PaulSR
PaulSR  8511 forum posts England
24 May 2009 - 2:47 PM

Become an MP. Problem solved

Snapper
Snapper  93709 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 2:55 PM

Quote: Become an MP. Problem solved

Ah, but what about the deposit for standing. Sad

CaptivePixels
24 May 2009 - 5:06 PM

Quote: Quote:Become an MP. Problem solvedAh, but what about the deposit for standing.

Stick it in your expenses claim under 'Mortgage'

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 5:21 PM

Being skint teaches you to be frugal, only have what you need and appreciate what you've got.

It actually pains me to go to a shop and purchase something new (even though that hardly ever happens), I don't get the mentality of people who love to tell you just how expensive their belongings are, why? What are they trying to prove? All I think is "Fool, I'd NEVER pay that for that!!" lol

I'm the opposite, if I got it for free or for pennies I'm more likely to say so as I feel it's a real achievement and I get a great sense of satisfaction from it Grin

I do occasionally treat myself to a little something unneccesary, a painting, a pretty teacup, a nice pot, as long as it's free or under 5 Grin

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
24 May 2009 - 8:02 PM

Apparently there are some jobs going here - not really photography related, but might fill a stop-gap, and no previous experience necessary. In fact, no previous experience is a positive advantage. By all accounts the expenses packages are excellent.

Last Modified By Krakman at 24 May 2009 - 8:02 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.