Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I'm skint!

24 May 2009 8:15PM

Quote:I would say that anyone who judges me by the amount of possessions I have or don't have doesn't know me at all. It's a shame that there's a culture of waving one's material goods in front of others and others feeling they have to have the best too so as to keep up with the Jones's. That makes us all the poorer.

It's the same with clothes. Don't need a vast wardrobe and don't follow fashion. I use charity shops all the time. If I could do my current job for free I would, but for the fact that I need to eat and keep a roof over my head, as it's a privilege to work there - and working there full time means I don't get to spend as much time as I would like doing my writing and photography but sometimes something comes along which you cannot refuse. Don't get paid a lot anyway in the job but that's not the point - it's having the chance to do it which makes it all worthwhile.

I suppose in terms of material things yes, I do have my laptop (second hand) and my camera. But they are tools I use to express myself and to tell stories.

I don't think I've ever been happier in my life than I am right now. And by most people's standards I am completely skint.

completely understand where your coming from, I also shop in charity shops, I was bought up to value what you have Smile it dives me nuts when outside influences affect my kids and they are ungrateful and want more, though kids be kids they'lllearn though Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PaulSR e2
9 511 England
24 May 2009 8:39PM

Quote:Quote:Become an MP. Problem solvedAh, but what about the deposit for standing.

I could pay it. After all i am a tax payer
Britman e2
8 1.7k England
24 May 2009 8:44PM
I think there are so many people in the same boat at the moment. I know I am, if I don't get any money coming in this week I'll have to dig into the agreed overdraft.

But I know there are those in far far worse situation, people facing real hardship, loosing their jobs, homes and in some desperate ways, their lives.
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 11:32PM
It's BOOM time and for the life of me I cant understand why people get to be so skint?

If this is recession may it long continue! Don,t really want to blow my own trumpet but I'm off to Spain in a couple of weeks time to purchase my second property, CASH! very good value affordable property's at the mo, much of the cash I am using to buy this property has been saved in the last 18months since this apparent recession kind of started.

So sorry you and others are in this predicament, but publicly I cant help you here on EPZ forums.. Sad

Hope it all turns out OK for you though.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
24 May 2009 11:36PM

Quote:Don,t really want to blow my own trumpet but

I can't even reach mine.
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 11:38PM

Quote:QuoteGrinon,t really want to blow my own trumpet but I can't even reach mine.

LOL! not that one LMAO!!!
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 11:41PM

Quote:It's BOOM time and for the life of me I cant understand why people get to be so skint?
always good to read such sensitive posts. OK try this one.

A young man I know who has recently recovered from a mental health illness and is now working in a fairly big city for a pittance of a wage helping young people with addiction problems.

Skint but rich.

Not everyone is motivated by greed.

Some people have followed their way down a path, and may be facing redundancy, your post is less than sensitive. It sounds like the old Harry Enfield Plumber character.

A local business man I know wondering if he should fold his business or re-mortgage the house. His worry is as much about what the employees will do if he does not as his own family. But dare he risk ending up with his family with no roof over their head etc.

Its not simple. The old photographer who ran a camera shop in tears as he has signed the lease on his shop over to another firm, he closed on Friday. In short he cannot compete on his own against the might of others and the internet.
XxPaulxX e2
8 260 England
24 May 2009 11:48PM
I just can't understand how I can be out of money when I still have cheques left in the book Grin
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 11:54PM

Quote:your post is less than sensitive. It sounds like the old Harry Enfield Plumber character.

I get your point, but I disagree with you, it may seem insensitive that is only brought about by moderation restrictions and tottaly out off my control.
In fact what I really want to say and offer I am not allowed to, so before you star making judgements against me please be aware of the facts first Wink
I am not a greedy person as you subtly suggest,in fact all that i do I do for others rather than me, personal wealth is only a by product of those actions.

You have a nice you hear....
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
25 May 2009 12:00AM
Not that old cleaning product again.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 May 2009 12:01AM
I merely reacted to your message.

Quote: I cant understand why people get to be so skint?
I can, its quite easy really, all it takes is for a couple of things to go wrong.

Quote:If this is recession may it long continue!
If you were one of the people having lost their employment then that might look a bit crass and insensitive.

Quote: Don,t really want to blow my own trumpet but I'm off to Spain in a couple of weeks time to purchase my second property
Sounds like a boast.

Quote:CASH!
Reminds me of loads of money!

Perhaps you did not intend it, but that is how it reads.
uggyy e2
9 2.1k 9 Scotland
25 May 2009 12:01AM
LOL nice one Andy Smile
uggyy e2
9 2.1k 9 Scotland
25 May 2009 12:05AM
I got to say...

I cant say Ive had it better or worse as this a path Ive only recently trodden on. (photography wise)

I do know that my old profession is suffering with friends finding it very hard to get new contracts and all with familys and debts to pay.

As for photography, Ive seen customers who had to cancle due to loosing job. :-( Ive seen multiple shops close in my area and seen lots of people finding it very hard going...

So if you are doing well out there good luck to you but dont rub it in other peoples faces please. As you might find people are pretty sensitive the now and not in the mood while the balifs at there door..
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
25 May 2009 12:25AM
bu
Quote:t dont rub it in other peoples faces

it's not about that at all, all I'm saying there is another way, rather than the stress and waiting for the bailiffs to knock, people like Andy wont help you in times of hardship! Try and feed his witty comments to your family when the cupboards are bare! Smile see how much they laugh then! Will words of comfort also feed & house you? NO! of course not. You see deep down al most people don''t really care that much, because very few could do anything to help anyway.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 May 2009 12:50AM
Glad to hear your venture is making you loadsamoney, Luis! Wink

The "I'm all right Jack" approach never goes down well with those who, through no fault of their own whatever, find themselves on the receiving end of a redundancy notice. Or who suddenly find that paying their creditors requires the sale of the roof over their heads.

For the first time in most people's living memory even formerly secure sectors like solicitors and accountants are making staff and even partners in the firms redundant. The recession is hitting the well-remunerated middle classes hard, as well as those who are always hit in bad times, viz. those formerly known as "The Workers".

Nobody, but nobody, can afford to be complacent - however rosy things may seem at the moment. Hubris is very often followed by Nemesis!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.