Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I'm Visiting Scotland Soon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 6:29 PM

As the title suggests, I'm going to Scotland in July on a Photography Trip, for the first part I don't need to talk to you about, as I've confirmed everything for that Wink

However, after that - I'm looking to photograph the Buachaille Etive Mor waterfall. But - I have several issues:

a) Is there any water there in July?
b) Will the sky be too uninteresting (no it always rains - so no blue skies Wink)
c) What equipment should I bring?
d) What else in the area including Glencoe, is great to photograph?

Thanks for all the help Grin
Jonah

Last Modified By jonah794 at 15 Jun 2010 - 6:29 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2010 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

martin.w
martin.w e2 Member 12351 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 6:38 PM

Jonah, I visited there twice almost this time last year. The first (in the rain!) there was loadsa water....the second visit a week later in glorious sunshine and almost no water...kinda changeable really Wink

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 6:45 PM

My son's girlfriend lives near Glencoe and they were both there last week - no water in the waterfall in early June. But this is Scotland and anything could happen between now and the time of your trip. The same comment applies to your concerns about the sky. The weather can change in minutes and so you should be prepared for anything - from clear blue to utterly leaden and everything in between. Because of this I would suggest you bring a fairly wide range of equipment so you can respond to whatever the weather presents you with. If the weather/lighting is poor then wait a while. It is likely to change soon but remember if it's not raining it's because it has just finished or is just about to start.

On your last point - don't worry. You will be in the midst of some of the most spectacular scenery you can imagine. Around every corner there is scenery to take your breath away. Just enjoy it.

jonah794
15 Jun 2010 - 6:47 PM

Thanks both of you Smile I guess I could just take the famous shot without the water! Wink

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jun 2010 - 7:38 PM

Quote:

Errrr, Glencoe! Rannoch Moor. As Ewanneil says the whole area is rather spectacular.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 8:06 PM

You need red squirrels not waterfalls!

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
15 Jun 2010 - 8:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the help Grin
Jonah

I've just posted a shot of Loch Etive taken from the old pier at the end of the road through Glen Etive from the A82. If the light conditions are good it's a stunning spot. That evening there was no breeze so the water was like glass and the early evening light created a stunning, serene setting.

Saying that, first time I drove down there it was peeing down and I could barely see the road never mind consider getting out the car. Wink

66tricky
15 Jun 2010 - 8:17 PM

btw.. there's also a long drop waterfall just outside Kinlochleven. Some details here

kaybee
kaybee  103772 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 8:21 PM

Try the PHoto Map Page

canonfan
canonfan  4 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2010 - 10:55 PM

What you do need is a midge net Beware they will eat you alive

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93450 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:31 PM

Alas, coffee filters are the only things fine enough to keep them out Sad

66tricky
15 Jun 2010 - 11:48 PM

Quote: Alas, coffee filters are the only things fine enough to keep them out Sad

Or go somewhere beautiful where they are not a problem e.g. west coast of Harris.

Last Modified By 66tricky at 15 Jun 2010 - 11:48 PM
looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:56 PM

Wish I was visiting, love the place, shame I have to miss this years meet up there Sad really sad about that.

jonah794
16 Jun 2010 - 7:50 AM

Thanks for all the tips - Cheryl, I'd like to photograph some red squirrels with you on the first two days please Smile Wink
That long drop waterfall looks great!

The midges are horrible, difficult to distract - i know from last year.

Jonah

JohnParminter
16 Jun 2010 - 10:54 AM

a) Is there any water there in July
Not likely, just a trickle if it has been dry. I wouldn't be too fixated on photographing the waterfall Jonah for a few reasons apart from it being the popular obvious choice, I think there are better views of the Buachaille from further back with better perspective. It will be very green in July and you will have lost all of the more appealing reds and yellows for that area, the light will be very harsh from anytime after sunrise if the skies are clear, about 4:30 am!. It isn't a very good sunset place as the Sun sets behind it.

b) Will the sky be too uninteresting (no it always rains - so no blue skies )
Depends, if there is clear skies the light will be harsh very quickly, if grey leaden then no real light to emphasize the relief. The best combination is somewhere between 50 and 75% cloudy sky and sunrise but you'll need to set the alarm for 3:30 Smile

c) What equipment should I bring?
Usual landscape gear, tripod, filter, polariser might be good but most important of all is Avon Skin-so-Soft dry oil moisturiser. You will be able to get it from the petrol garage in Glencoe or order off the internet before you go. It is the only stuff that is effective against the midges in my opinion.

Loch Leven at sunset looking towards Glen Coe.
The Three Sisters in Glen Coe.
Glen Etive and Loch Etive, although I have to say it never really does anything for me when I have a ganders down there. Always seems a long drive with big expectations but ultimately disappointing vantage points.
Rannoch Moor, Loch Ba, the other lochan at the side of the road looking towards the Black Mount.
Loch Tulla Pines around Victoria Bridge area.
Glen Orchy, I think this glen has more potential than Etive which I'm gonna explore more myself when Autumn comes.

For all the above though July could be summed up as greens, harsh light if no cloud and blue skies (ocassionally). The best of the sunsets which can be fab are away from Glen Coe towards the coast and lochs of Leven and Linnhe Wink

Have a good trip.
John

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 16 Jun 2010 - 10:59 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.