Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I must be mad!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:37 PM

As today I agreed to run in the 2010 London Marathon!! Here I am, a 30 something guy who is in no way fit agreeing to one of the longest runs in the world!!! Got 13 months to get in shape - ie a more athletic shape than my current expanding wasteline!!!

Me and 3 of my team at work will be running for Clic Sergent, and hope to raise a few grand if we can. I am telling as many people as i can, so it makes it impossible for me to back out!!

Anyone here ever run a marathon? I would be happy for any training tips!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:49 PM

There are a couple of good books aimed at novice runners - can't remember what they are called and another I read about someone running the Boston marathon. Will try to find the titles in the next couple of days.

The novice book really starts off easy, but can build to half or full marathon. Well written.

Most important thing really is to get some decent shoes. Wrong shoes and you'll do damage and finish before you start.

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:53 PM

My son is 35 and does triathlons, and he was rushed into hospital Sunday night and operated on for a burst appendix. He had spoken to the NH helpline that told him he was constipated! He is in the middle of training for an Iron Man in Austria in June, so I said, "That's the Iron Man gone then!" No way! He still thas every intention of being there. Wink An Iron Man is a 2.4 mile (3.9 km) swim, 112 mile (180 km) bike and 26.2 mile (42.2 km) marathon run.
    Now he must be mad!

BubbaG2000
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:53 PM

My god... you ARE mad! I have no tips but wish you the best of luck!

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2009 - 10:00 PM

Fantastic! I really admire you for making that plan - good on you nigeyboy!

The books and other people will tell you more than I could - but good healthy diet, letting your body recover between bouts of training, plenty of sleep. Go for it 8-]

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    18 Mar 2009 - 10:01 PM

If you search in Amazon you'll find loads of books on marathons, plus opinions on the various books. Also forums like this will help you .

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2009 - 10:02 PM

I've done 3 half marathons, but never braved a full one (to be honest I got scolded by the docs for the damage it did to my hips and knees every time anway!)

I'd see if your local gym has a running club that you can go out with, I know ours has a couple that go out in the evenings, training with others always seems to help distract you from the pain etc! I'd also echo the good shoes advice...

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Mar 2009 - 12:37 AM

Brilliant, it'll be fantastic. I'm yet to get in and hopeful for next year.

Advice: Subscribe to Runners World UK, the magazine is good but the web site is a fantastic source of top notch advice (including training schedules), equipment reviews and forums.
    Next look for a local running club, training on the street is best but the gym will also add a good cross training.
    One of the best things you can do is to get to a sports shop that specializes in running and can get you into the right fitting shoes which will help avoid training injuries.

13 months is plenty of time to train, many schedules are for four months, and will get you hooked on running.

Andy

Nigeyboy
    19 Mar 2009 - 6:12 AM

Thanks all for the kind words and advice - in a weird way i am really looking forward to hit. I was there in 2007, but only as a spectator and the atmos was amazing along the mall.

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Mar 2009 - 9:22 AM

Why not set up a blog, Twitter or something similar, so you can record your efforts.

Also some people find the GPS running/training devices are useful, I have a Garmin forerunner 305 and find it makes running interesting, whilst a small MP3 player or small DAB radio can help make the less exciting runs pleasurable. Perhaps these are just feeding my need for gadgets but i suspect a few photographers are the same.

User_Removed
    19 Mar 2009 - 9:55 AM

Well done you! 10/10!!

col.campbell
    19 Mar 2009 - 11:49 AM

Good on you! Get some sponsorship organised nearer the time, maybe a Paypal account and see if you can drum up some sponshorship through here.

I've contemplated similar endeavours in the past and never gotten the-get-up-and-go to actually get up and go, but a piece of advice for running in general that was passed on to me by an Army PTI was, if you're running regularly on roads, replace your trainers every 3 - 4 months (and use good ones). Look at the sole, side-on: if it's starting to show creases, time to replace them. Expensive, but the old ones don't need to go in the bin, just don't use them for running on roads.

And good luck!

Last Modified By col.campbell at 19 Mar 2009 - 11:50 AM
    Nigeyboy
    19 Mar 2009 - 1:17 PM

Again - thanks for words of support. The more i think about it now, the more i want to do it!! The Twitter blog things sounds good, so may take a look into that.

Have rejoined my local gym after an long (!!!) absense, and am fixing my old mountain bike so I can cycle to work, rather than getting 4 busses each day!!

A freind of mine who is also running with me seems to think that the year after we should do the Cross Sahara run of 150 miles . . . might give that a miss, as one of the parts of the entrance fee covers - and i'm not kidding - "Corpse Repatriation"!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.