Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I need a new printer .........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 3:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Just searching out some advice / recommendations please.

I am not the worlds best photographer but I enjoy it. I like to print my pictures out (up to A4 size) at home. All of them go on the wall for a while (I have a photo wall, where friends and relatives are always looking at the latest pictures) before going into an folder.

I've had my printer for 6 years now - Compaq IJ1200 and it has been very good...up until recently. I have had a lot of problems with print cartridges and this has been costly in both replacements (refils / new cartridges) and wasted paper.

I want a new printer !

I want to be able to print reasonably good quality pictures.
I want to be able to print 20 pictures in one evening or 1 picture a month - my useage varies and I understand some printers don't like being left for weeks on end without printing.
I would like the inks to be fairly inexpensive.

What can you recommend / avoid ?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2007 - 3:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hannahs_Pics
26 Jan 2007 - 4:06 PM

For £60 you can get the Canon IP4300. I have it's predecessor the IP4000 and whilst I'm no expert on printers but I've always been happy with the quality of the results! I have used a variety of media (including art stuff), it is pretty quick to print and seems inexpensive to run. It also does CD and double sided printing printing.

Of course if you have more to spend than that then I'm sure there are other better quality options!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
steve_p
steve_p  81089 forum posts England
26 Jan 2007 - 4:29 PM

After using Epson printers, I had three or four of which the last was an R300, I got really fed up with clogged nozzles. I dont use the printer every day.

I had a Canon ip 4200 for a while but was not over impressed with it. However I bought a canon IP4300 the replacement for the 4200. I am absolutely over the moon with it- the difference is surprising.
I can recommend it.

Steve

sharonf
sharonf  787 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jan 2007 - 6:08 PM

hi
i have the epson r300 not had any problems (yet) i have had it about 16mths,compatiable ink is cheap and quite good quality just less than a pound a cartridge at scan, but i have just got a back up canon ip6700d better dots an inch an all that, great for pics, but cartridges are more expensive, but it was reasonable to buy £150. hope this helps.sharon

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 6:28 PM

I have the Epson R300 too, no probs...

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 7:27 PM

Canon Every Time.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 7:29 PM

sold my r300 about 2 weeks ago.
rubbish in comparison to the Canon mp500
the cann is superior in every way. Grin

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 7:37 PM

It's costs twice..in fact nearly three times as much I would hope so.
Wink

tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jan 2007 - 7:47 PM

usually get what you pay for. if you don't do much printing at home then it's often more cost effective to send work to a Lab.

k_words
k_words  7 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2007 - 7:50 PM

Hi
I have an epson r300 at home used 3 or 4 times a week & anothe r at work which I used for the first time in 3 weeks with no probs. If you dont buy cheap ink, you shouldn't have a problem. I Also have at home an R2400, stunning colour and fantastic B/W. This was not used for 2 weeks and was no trouble when fired up again. Once again, if you want excellent quality pictures, use an epson with epson paper and epson inks. I used to use standard glossy paper until I compared the same picture on epson paper - the difference was unbelievable.
BTW, i am not connected with epson in any way or on commision Smile
Terry

Peteward
Peteward  7 England
26 Jan 2007 - 9:37 PM

Hi - I have recently bought a Canon ip6700D its a 6 ink system delivering good quality photo reproduction.It has built in memory card reader & 9cm colour screen.You don't need to plug to a PC if you don't want to to print.You can pick them up for about £107 inc vat & delivery on Amazon.

Cheers Pete

P.S I love mine,

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the info !!!
Anyone got anything bad to say about the canon printers? One bad review for Epson so far and only negative comment for cannon is cost of inks.
What are the average prices for the inks in a cannon system?

Thanks
Mark

Bluke
Bluke e2 Member 9303 forum postsBluke vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have an Epson R1800...cost a fortune in ink and only works when if feels like ..don't get one they are rubbish..... I find it much cheeper to go to an online printers...... Babs

tezza
tezza  10569 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jan 2007 - 1:18 PM

I too have had an Epson printer and had no end of problems with blocked printheads, even though I used the overpriced Epson cartridges, most of which ended up being used on cleaning cycles!

I eventually got rid of the Epson and bought one of the cheaper Canon printers - the i865 A4 printer - and have had no problems at all. So another vote for Canon. As for cartidge price, many stores do cheaper Canon own brand cartridges at good prices - I use 7dayshop.com - and unlike an Epson, the cartidges are clear plastic so you can see if there is ink still in them unlike the Epsons that make you throw them away when they are still useable, although you can rechip them of course.

On a final note, at my photo club there are other people who use Epson and have no problems even though they use much cheaper ink cartridges in them.

Personally, I am once bitten etc so it would be a real hard push to get me to buy an Epson again, what ever the price or the reviews they get.

Terry

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2007 - 1:22 PM

Well, I have had an Epson R800 (A4 version of R1800) for less than 24hrs and already I've got through 1/4 of a set of cartridges on cleaning cycles. And I'm still getting unexplained streaks on my prints... And the Epson profiles are seriously crap, too.

Not a happy bunny. :-(

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.