Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I need a new printer and I hate Epson. Any suggestions?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

redstag
redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 6:07 PM

I am sick of cleaning my printer nozzles every time I try to print anything, it seems to be an issue with Epson, I've had 4 of their printers and always had the same issue. I have got a Canon a3 but the blacks look terrible on it, so any suggestions what I should go for? I only need an A4 printer.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Aug 2009 - 6:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catgirl73
catgirl73  6141 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 - 6:18 PM

I've got the Canon MP620 I haven't had it long only 3 months. Am happy with it so far.

Nick_Hilton
1 Aug 2009 - 7:30 PM

Redstag
I would suggest your issue with blocked nozzles is to do with where the print sits not just as it an Epson. If it is in a bedroom I would suggest dust or heat causes the ink to dry on the head.
Or a blocked nozzle would be due to infrequent use - by that at least once every 2 - 3 days

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 7:30 PM

Pixma ip4600.

Malcolm

Campervanman
Campervanman e2 Member 6714 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 7:50 PM

I hate Epson printers too. Agree with Redstag that they block if not used every few days at least. Not much good if you only print infrequently - ink and money down the drain.
I now use HP - good quality and far more economical.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 9:47 PM

Canon ip4500 or newer ip4600.....Smile Fab....!

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 11:18 PM

Another vote for the ip4600.

elaineparker
2 Aug 2009 - 3:59 PM

I have had so many printers over the years and though i always prefered lexmark for quality of print, the cost of inks is outrageous! I used epson for a good while simply because there where lots of affordable online compatiable ink suppliers.

A couple of months ago i bought a Kodak esp5 as it promised high quality printing WITH affordable , long lasting inks. 100 ish for the printer and the inks where cheap at around 16 for a black and colour set, so i stocked up on ink and took the plunge.

I was delighted with the print quality, speed of printing and the lastablilty < is that a word ? of the inks. HOWEVER ... half way through 2nd lot of inks it all went horribly wrong, negative style printing and eventually no ink at all showing, I cleaned heads, nozzle check and all other avaliable maintainance options where used ... No good, returned to argos , after googling and reading several similar probs. Argos say that Kodak will not allow them to exchange so sent me new printer heads and it now works like a dream again ( its an all in one with a fab scanner , great speed and editing options ) .... SO, all in all i love it and it does all it says it will BUT the printer heads is an issue, i mean ... is this going to happen every 2 months ? WE SHALL SEE ... So at this point, i would have highly reccomended it , had i not had this issue.

MAYBE i was unlucky ?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
elaineparker
2 Aug 2009 - 4:00 PM

GOSH! That was a long reply ( sorry ) ha!

steveb
steveb  10331 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Aug 2009 - 4:36 PM

I used to have to clean my old Epson 1290s heads sometimes if I hadn't used the printer for a month or so, but my Epson R2400 is perfect, no problems, excellent B&W and colour accuracy, supports a wide range papers and is archival as they get. If you didn't only need an A4 printer I'd of suggested the Epson R2880, the replacement for mine.

redstag
redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2009 - 5:39 PM

Some interesting views here. My issue I think is lack of use. I have a Canon A3 in a different location, it works quite well (But I think the blacks look a bit washed out, that could be my setting up though!)

I won't be buying another Epson, I do like their quality and vibrance, but I really hate the hassle. looks like Canon (I even saw a Nikon user recommending them!) or maybe Kodak (never even considered Kodak, but as they have always been about printing photos maybe I should.)

Thanks all for the comments.
Jon

bigalguitarpicker

Never had a problem with my Epson Photo R340. Maybe you've just been unlucky. Are you not using it very often? I might leave mine unused for a week or more without any problems, though I don't know what would happen if I left it for a month. I'm using ProJet compatible inks too, 2 each against 11 for Epson. I've had a photo sitting on my office desk for 4 years now with no fading. I even printed it again a couple of months ago just to check. The only downside to my printing is that the genuine Epson inks give a near perfect mono print, but the ProJet inks don't, but I don't print anywhere near enough to justify having a dedicated mono printer.
Alex.

Squirrel
Squirrel  7377 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2009 - 8:53 PM

I 've got 2 printers.
Canon IX5000 get really good results with it using Fotospeed Pigment friendly gloss paper and a Canon Pro 9500, this has the two blacks. one for gloss and one for matt. I bought the 9500 in feb and I found the Fotospeed pigment friendly lustre paper gives the results I like. i haven't yet tried it with a matt or "artistic" paper yet.

PWhittle
PWhittle  7176 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Aug 2009 - 2:25 PM

just junked my R800 for a 4600i, and very, very impressed. Great results on default settings, especially from 5 carts.
The carts are small, so I hope they last ok, but it won't cost ~100 to refill like the R800.
Money very well spent (88 from Amazon)

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2009 - 2:55 PM

Quote: The carts are small, so I hope they last ok, ....

Forlorn hope! Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.