Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

I need a new printer and I hate Epson. Any suggestions?

redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 6:07PM
I am sick of cleaning my printer nozzles every time I try to print anything, it seems to be an issue with Epson, I've had 4 of their printers and always had the same issue. I have got a Canon a3 but the blacks look terrible on it, so any suggestions what I should go for? I only need an A4 printer.

Jon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catgirl73 e2
6 142 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 6:18PM
I've got the Canon MP620 I haven't had it long only 3 months. Am happy with it so far.
Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 7:30PM
Redstag
I would suggest your issue with blocked nozzles is to do with where the print sits not just as it an Epson. If it is in a bedroom I would suggest dust or heat causes the ink to dry on the head.
Or a blocked nozzle would be due to infrequent use - by that at least once every 2 - 3 days
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 7:30PM
Pixma ip4600.

Malcolm
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 7:50PM
I hate Epson printers too. Agree with Redstag that they block if not used every few days at least. Not much good if you only print infrequently - ink and money down the drain.
I now use HP - good quality and far more economical.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Aug 2009 9:47PM
Canon ip4500 or newer ip4600.....Smile Fab....!
RogBrown e2
8 3.0k 10 England
1 Aug 2009 11:18PM
Another vote for the ip4600.
2 Aug 2009 3:59PM
I have had so many printers over the years and though i always prefered lexmark for quality of print, the cost of inks is outrageous! I used epson for a good while simply because there where lots of affordable online compatiable ink suppliers.

A couple of months ago i bought a Kodak esp5 as it promised high quality printing WITH affordable , long lasting inks. 100 ish for the printer and the inks where cheap at around 16 for a black and colour set, so i stocked up on ink and took the plunge.

I was delighted with the print quality, speed of printing and the lastablilty < is that a word ? of the inks. HOWEVER ... half way through 2nd lot of inks it all went horribly wrong, negative style printing and eventually no ink at all showing, I cleaned heads, nozzle check and all other avaliable maintainance options where used ... No good, returned to argos , after googling and reading several similar probs. Argos say that Kodak will not allow them to exchange so sent me new printer heads and it now works like a dream again ( its an all in one with a fab scanner , great speed and editing options ) .... SO, all in all i love it and it does all it says it will BUT the printer heads is an issue, i mean ... is this going to happen every 2 months ? WE SHALL SEE ... So at this point, i would have highly reccomended it , had i not had this issue.

MAYBE i was unlucky ?
2 Aug 2009 4:00PM
GOSH! That was a long reply ( sorry ) ha!
steveb e2
10 332 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2009 4:36PM
I used to have to clean my old Epson 1290s heads sometimes if I hadn't used the printer for a month or so, but my Epson R2400 is perfect, no problems, excellent B&W and colour accuracy, supports a wide range papers and is archival as they get. If you didn't only need an A4 printer I'd of suggested the Epson R2880, the replacement for mine.
redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2009 5:39PM
Some interesting views here. My issue I think is lack of use. I have a Canon A3 in a different location, it works quite well (But I think the blacks look a bit washed out, that could be my setting up though!)

I won't be buying another Epson, I do like their quality and vibrance, but I really hate the hassle. looks like Canon (I even saw a Nikon user recommending them!) or maybe Kodak (never even considered Kodak, but as they have always been about printing photos maybe I should.)

Thanks all for the comments.
Jon
Never had a problem with my Epson Photo R340. Maybe you've just been unlucky. Are you not using it very often? I might leave mine unused for a week or more without any problems, though I don't know what would happen if I left it for a month. I'm using ProJet compatible inks too, 2 each against 11 for Epson. I've had a photo sitting on my office desk for 4 years now with no fading. I even printed it again a couple of months ago just to check. The only downside to my printing is that the genuine Epson inks give a near perfect mono print, but the ProJet inks don't, but I don't print anywhere near enough to justify having a dedicated mono printer.
Alex.
Squirrel e2
7 401 3 England
3 Aug 2009 8:53PM
I 've got 2 printers.
Canon IX5000 get really good results with it using Fotospeed Pigment friendly gloss paper and a Canon Pro 9500, this has the two blacks. one for gloss and one for matt. I bought the 9500 in feb and I found the Fotospeed pigment friendly lustre paper gives the results I like. i haven't yet tried it with a matt or "artistic" paper yet.
PWhittle e2
8 176 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2009 2:25PM
just junked my R800 for a 4600i, and very, very impressed. Great results on default settings, especially from 5 carts.
The carts are small, so I hope they last ok, but it won't cost ~100 to refill like the R800.
Money very well spent (88 from Amazon)

Quote:The carts are small, so I hope they last ok, ....

Forlorn hope! Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.